Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Not sure if anyone noticed, but 24 of the Top 25 teams are in the tournament. I know this has been discussed in previous years. I don't recall if all 25 have made it into the tournament, so 24 could be a record.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Top 25 teams went an impressive 22-2. St. John's lost and Wittenberg beat Emory.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We are down to 32. A great weekend of basketball has cut the NCAA tournament teams in half. There were some surprises, surprising outcomes, and fun environments around DIII. Even the end of the title defense of Nebraska Wesleyan.

On Sunday's Hoopsville, we try and recap it all while also hearing from several of the coaches who found themselves in the thick of it.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch it in the video player above. If you miss any of the show, you can watch it On Demand or listen the audio-only podcast to the right (available shortly after the show goes off air).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Mike Schauer, Wheaton (Ill.) men's coach
- Tom Palombo, Guilford men's coach
- Randi Henderson, No. 22 WashU women's coach
- Fred Richter, No. 15 DeSales women's coach
- Bill Broderick, Christopher Newport women's coach
- Dave Hixon, No. 7 Amherst men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The second weekend of the DIII Men's and Women's Championship Tournaments is set to start. Can the upset minded teams continue to prevail? Can the "favorites" maintain their poise? What home team will enjoy their own cooking? And who will still be playing in Fort Wayne and Salem?

On Thursday's Hoopsville, Dave is joined by a number of guests to get a look not only at the action ahead this weekend, but the action coming at the final fours. Which teams seemed ready to be playing one more weekend?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's show will air live starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. here: http://bit.ly/2C82LcA (or via Facebook Live and Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

- John Taurer, No. 13 St. Thomas men's coach
- Dave Hixon, No. 7 Amherst men's coach
- Nathan Denison, VP for Sales, Memorial Coliseum (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
- Mark Morefield, No. 12 UMHB women's coach
- Carla Berube, No. 4 Tufts women's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Just out of the top 10 there is only 3 teams remaining 4th Oshkosh  6th Swatmore and 9th  CNU and two not ranked teams Wheaton,Guilford nice job!

kiko

Quote from: Rofrog on March 08, 2019, 11:54:01 PM
Just out of the top 10 there is only 3 teams remaining 4th Oshkosh  6th Swatmore and 9th  CNU and two not ranked teams Wheaton,Guilford nice job!

Last year's final four was:
#24 UW-Oshkosh
#26 Nebraska Wesleyan
Received no votes Ramapo
Received no votes Springfield

The level of parity in D3 seems to increase every year these days...

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: kiko on March 09, 2019, 12:53:29 AM

#24 UW-Oshkosh
#26 Nebraska Wesleyan
Received no votes Ramapo

Either that or the poll voters get dumber every year! ;D  (I prefer to believe it is your explanation. ;))

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 09, 2019, 12:59:55 AM
Quote from: kiko on March 09, 2019, 12:53:29 AM

#24 UW-Oshkosh
#26 Nebraska Wesleyan
Received no votes Ramapo

Either that or the poll voters get dumber every year! ;D  (I prefer to believe it is your explanation. ;))
I must be looking at different numbers to everyone else. I thought poll voters seemed to do quite fine this year. 14 of the 16 playing the 2nd weekend were ranked including 8 of the top 10. Of the two unranked teams, Guilford was 27th (missing 25th by 7 points) and Wheaton 31st (receiving 16 points).

Comparing to last year, the worst case scenario would have #14, #19, #27, and #31 which is still an improvement. While the best case would have #4, #6, #9, #22.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What's always funny to me, having done this for a little while now, is how similar my final ballot ends up being to my pre-season ballot, even if that doesn't seem at all likely during the season.  There's always a few teams that crater and a few that come out of nowhere, but the teams often what we think they'll be - at least more often than one would expect.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The final fours are set! Eight of the best men's and women's teams remain to battle it out for two national titles. On the women's side, many of those expected to make it to Salem. On the men's side, none of the top four powers will be in Fort Wayne.

Sunday on Hoopsville, Dave takes a look at both a record breaking performance on the men's side and chats with the four teams dancing on the women's side. (Due to the extensive coverage in Fort Wayne at the men's championship weekend, Sunday's show will have more women's coverage than men's.) How one man put up 62-points in a game and has already shattered the single-tournament scoring record. And how the four hosts on the women's side survived their weekends to advance.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show can be seen LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2NRnPZi (or via Facebook Live and Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

- Aston Francis, Wheaton (Ill.) senior guard
- Jeff Hans, No. 1 Thomas More women's coach
- Adrienne Schibles, No. 3 Bowdoin women's coach
- Ruth Sinn, No. 2 St. Thomas women's coach
- Bridgette Mann, No. 9 Scranton senior guard
- Carey Harveycutter, City of Salem (Vir.)

Greek Tragedy

Now that Wheaton has lost, the question really doesn't need to be asked, but I'll ask it anyway for fun.

If Wheaton beat Swarthmore for the national championship, what final ranking would they end up as?

I assume there are a few voters that automatically put the champion as #1, but more probably don't. Top teams like NWU, Whitman and Augustana all fell fairly early. It would be real interesting to know where Wheaton would've been ranked as they would've beaten Augustana, Oshkosh and Swarthmore to the big door step.

On that note, I'm guessing Oshkosh or Swarthmore will be crowned #1 without a doubt. But will Wheaton be #3 or #4?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Titan Q

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 16, 2019, 05:38:21 AM
Now that Wheaton has lost, the question really doesn't need to be asked, but I'll ask it anyway for fun.

If Wheaton beat Swarthmore for the national championship, what final ranking would they end up as?

I assume there are a few voters that automatically put the champion as #1, but more probably don't. Top teams like NWU, Whitman and Augustana all fell fairly early. It would be real interesting to know where Wheaton would've been ranked as they would've beaten Augustana, Oshkosh and Swarthmore to the big door step.

On that note, I'm guessing Oshkosh or Swarthmore will be crowned #1 without a doubt. But will Wheaton be #3 or #4?

I won't have Wheaton in the top four on my final ballot.  I believe UW-Oshkosh, Swarthmore, Augustana, Nebraska Wesleyan, and Loras are better.  After those five I'd start considering North Central and Wheaton from the CCIW.

If Wheaton beat both UW-Oshkosh and Swarthmore this weekend (the best two teams I have seen this year) then, yes, I would have had Wheaton #1 on my final ballot.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 16, 2019, 05:38:21 AM

In the history of our poll, no voter has ever placed the winner of the NCAA Tournament/playoffs anywhere but No. 1. (True on D3hoops.com and D3football.com.) Legend has it that one voter requested to do so in the first few years of our poll, but I requested they reconsider and they obliged.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 16, 2019, 11:19:19 AM
In the history of our poll, no voter has ever placed the winner of the NCAA Tournament/playoffs anywhere but No. 1. (True on D3hoops.com and D3football.com.) Legend has it that one voter requested to do so in the first few years of our poll, but I requested they reconsider and they obliged.

Pat straddles the line between legend and reality in one anecdote!

This is why he's the guru and we're not. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 16, 2019, 02:26:01 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 16, 2019, 11:19:19 AM

Pat straddles the line between legend and reality in one anecdote!

This is why he's the guru and we're not. ;)

Plausible deniability... but anyone who reads his note can only take away "don't even think about it".