MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

It is an interesting story for sure and Division III schools played a role.

Roosevelt was a big fan of football but thanks to public pressure, he thought it necessary to intervene.  He only invited Harvard, Yale and Princeton to the White House and it was not clear that changes would be made.

Then, an NYU player died in a game between NYU and Union. 

The Chancellor of NYU contacted Harvard and said we need to do something.  Then, rather than waiting around, he called for a meeting of schools in New York.  Football was a game driven by the alumni, but it was faculty involvement that pushed the issue.

Chicago was, incidentally, among the schools that had concerns over the sweeping rule changes.

UWPSUPERFAN77

Thank you WUPHF. great history lesson! What do your initials stand for?

WUPHF

Yeah, I have a fascination with the history of higher education and I finally checked out a book on NYU. 

I have not read it, but I have been browsing... 

NYU has quite this history in varsity athletics.

My moniker is a reference to the WUPHF episode of The Office.

Greek Tragedy

Apparently Oshkosh fans are supposed to gather at The Pub.

Scroll down to "where to gather"

https://www.visitfortwayne.com/ncaa/
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 13, 2019, 10:12:40 AMI'd imagine, just knowing history, when the NCAA split into divisions in the 70's, it created a place for former NAIA schools to belong on equal footing and the NCAA had been winning that battle for a long time.

That has very much been the case. Tom speculated that perhaps the NAIA was the "big institution" well into the '90s when the holdouts among the University of Wisconsin System campuses that make up the WIAC finally moved over to the NCAA and D3, but the NAIA had actually been hemorrhaging schools left and right long before that point. There were serious questions in the '80s and '90s and well into the '00s as to whether or not the NAIA would even survive. The stampede for the door was well underway during my student days; when the CCIW's last two NAIA holdouts, Carroll (1981) and Illinois Wesleyan (1983), finally dropped the NAIA part of their dual affiliations and joined the other CCIW schools by moving over to D3 for postseason competition purposes, I heard coaches and administrators at North Park wondering what took them so long. (I'm not sure about Carroll, but, as augie77 pointed out, elderly Illinois Wesleyan athletic director Jack Horenberger had been involved in the founding of the NAIA tourney and was responsible for IWU's resisting what was already starting to be a mass exodus out of the NAIA.)

Most of the WIAC/WSUC schools were really late to the game in making the move. (UW-Whitewater and UW-Milwaukee moved to D3 in the early '80s, although UWM moved to the NCAA's scholarship divisions fairly quickly thereafter.) Then again, perhaps that's not totally surprising; given that they're public schools, any sweeping and comprehensive change such as switching athletics affiliations theoretically involves a major stakeholder -- the taxpaying citizens of the state -- that other schools don't have to consider.

(As a postscript, the NAIA has managed to stabilize its membership. The NAIA's membership number is no longer on the wane; in fact, it's risen slightly in recent years. The schools that are NAIA now are generally not looking to bolt to the NCAA's D3 or D2 anymore. Sometimes that's because of locality; certain parts of the United States remain largely NAIA country, so there's no pressing need to abandon the familiar regional brand. In connection to that, the limited geographic spread of D3 that we hear so much about during this time of year -- especially from the Whitman and Whitworth posters -- takes away some of the allure of D3 for schools in places such as Nebraska or Alabama or northern California. And then there's the size thing. Many, if not most, of the smaller NAIA schools don't offer the 12-program-minimum number of NCAA-sponsored sports required in order to join D3, nor do they have the financial resources that would allow them to expand their varsity offerings and pay the necessary dues to make a bid for D3 membership -- and, as you said, Ryan, the freedom from requirements makes NAIA especially attractive for some of those smaller schools with wing-and-a-prayer budgets. The larger NAIA schools, which are much more likely to use the full allotment of the NAIA athletic scholarship limit, tended to bleed off into the NCAA D2 ranks in the latter stages of the exodus, but, like D3, D2 got more stringent with regard to creating a pipeline of a maximum size for incoming schools transitioning to D2. And, finally, junior colleges and Bible schools that are becoming four-year institutions are now tending to take the path of least resistance by joining the NAIA rather than going through the four-year provisional rigamarole and the more stringent requirements, oversight regimen, and rules milieu of D3.)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

By the way, I was looking at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum history.

The building was built to host the Fort Wayne Pistons. 

People think of Detroit as the Motor City, but there has been traditionally been an auto manufacturing belt that stretched from Detroit through Indiana to Illinois to St. Louis.  The founder of the Fort Wayne Pistons had a business that manufactured pistons.  He later moved the team to Detroit because it was a better market, but kept the name.

Pat Coleman

And the old part of the building is indeed old, and classic, but they have done a ton of work to upgrade it. It has modern concourses and concessions facilities, plus all of the standard in-arena amenities for a facility of its size. I hope the curtains will make it still feel intimate with upper seating covered up.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on March 13, 2019, 11:59:04 AM
By the way, I was looking at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum history.

The building was built to host the Fort Wayne Pistons. 

People think of Detroit as the Motor City, but there has been traditionally been an auto manufacturing belt that stretched from Detroit through Indiana to Illinois to St. Louis.  The founder of the Fort Wayne Pistons had a business that manufactured pistons.  He later moved the team to Detroit because it was a better market, but kept the name.

Indiana was very much a rival to Detroit in automobile production back in the prewar era:

http://www.dillsborolegion.org/inautomobiles.htm

Pardon the pun, but it's no accident that the world's most prestigious automobile race is held in Indianapolis.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 13, 2019, 12:21:48 PM
Indiana was very much a rival to Detroit in automobile production back in the prewar era:

http://www.dillsborolegion.org/inautomobiles.htm

One of these days, I am going to take a driving tour of Indiana and visit all of the towns that once had an automobile manufacturer.

tomt4525

2019 G Kyle Daoust (6-2) of Southern Door has committed to Eau Claire.

UWPSUPERFAN77

Thank you for the recruiting update. UWEC needs to recruit post players. They are very short

UWPSUPERFAN77

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Congrats to Oshkosh on their big win. One more win so we can add to the WIAC trophy case. Go Titans.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!