All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 17, 2019, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 11, 2019, 05:39:37 PM
Quote from: D3ball1845 on March 11, 2019, 12:54:20 PM
Smitty Oom, are you going out to Fort Wayne for Championship Weekend? I'm excited to see the All-Star game in person, but I'm trying to figure out how well it will be attended as it is directly prior to the Championship game. Likely going to risk buying general admission weekend passes when I get to Fort Wayne and show up to the All-Star game at about 3:30 when warm ups begin.

That arena is much larger than Salem, where we've been in the past, and there's never really been issues getting a good seat for the All-Star game.  The big X-factor is how many local, hoops-crazy hoosiers will show up to watch.

It was pointed out by sac on the MIAA board that Final Four tix were $15 apiece, which is a rather steep price to pay for a casual fan who doesn't have a strong rooting interest in any of the four teams. That may have helped to keep the attendance down to 2,000 or so, when I think that a somewhat lower ticket price might've brought in a much better house.

I don't think the temperatures here this weekend helped locals' desire to come out either.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

I think the whole weekend was $26, 2 semi-finals, the All-Star game and the championship game. It's the Final Four! I don't think those prices were much different than Salem, but as you pointed out, the weather probably didn't help.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

sac

Smitty Oom, are you going out to Fort Wayne for Championship Weekend? I'm excited to see the All-Star game in person, but I'm trying to figure out how well it will be attended as it is directly prior to the Championship game. Likely going to risk buying general admission weekend passes when I get to Fort Wayne and show up to the All-Star game at about 3:30 when warm ups begin.

That arena is much larger than Salem, where we've been in the past, and there's never really been issues getting a good seat for the All-Star game.  The big X-factor is how many local, hoops-crazy hoosiers will show up to watch.

It was pointed out by sac on the MIAA board that Final Four tix were $15 apiece, which is a rather steep price to pay for a casual fan who doesn't have a strong rooting interest in any of the four teams. That may have helped to keep the attendance down to 2,000 or so, when I think that a somewhat lower ticket price might've brought in a much better house.

Not just the $15, it was the $8 service fee per ticket to do it online which is nearly everyone's first action these days.  First words out of my mouth when I saw that was "screw that".   Whether that's standard or not its a deterrent when you have no dog in the fight and you're looking at $23 to make sure you get a seat.   Add in a parking fee and then the usual overpriced grub inside the arena it gets to be an expensive day for an average fan.

Most D3 games are around 7 or 8 bucks if they even take admission at all.  Now you're asking people to pay twice or even 3 times as much.

It needs a rethink or we're all going to have to be happy with lackluster crowds.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: sac on March 17, 2019, 01:38:03 PM

Not just the $15, it was the $8 service fee per ticket to do it online which is nearly everyone's first action these days.  First words out of my mouth when I saw that was "screw that".   Whether that's standard or not its a deterrent when you have no dog in the fight and you're looking at $23 to make sure you get a seat.   Add in a parking fee and then the usual overpriced grub inside the arena it gets to be an expensive day for an average fan.

Most D3 games are around 7 or 8 bucks if they even take admission at all.  Now you're asking people to pay twice or even 3 times as much.

It needs a rethink or we're all going to have to be happy with lackluster crowds.

This is the first year they did pre-sales - and they reported 2700 of them over the weekend.  With something like 3600 total sold, I'd say that's a pretty significant percentage.  That does include the team allotments, which have always been available ahead of time.  I'm not sure what you want to do with that data, but there it is.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

If I was a casual fan, I'd just walk up and get a ticket, saving me all those ridiculous online fees. The boxscore says 1710, which is disappointing, but not entirely surprising. I didn't expect a flood of CNU fans to make the trip, but I would've thought Oshkosh would've had a good showing Saturday, being a "short" trip. However, Oshkosh doesn't draw well at home, let alone, 5 1/2 hours away. Wisconsin's high school state tournament may have also played into the Oshkosh support as well.

The $6 parking fee is a turn off, but the overpriced food is expected. It's a huge facility, I've heard, and somehow to there was a Monster Truck Jam going on too. I'm just thinking the organizers were hoping for twice that much for attendance.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 18, 2019, 06:28:40 AM
Quote from: sac on March 17, 2019, 01:38:03 PM

This is the first year they did pre-sales - and they reported 2700 of them over the weekend.  With something like 3600 total sold, I'd say that's a pretty significant percentage.  That does include the team allotments, which have always been available ahead of time.  I'm not sure what you want to do with that data, but there it is.

Sac would probably say no charge for online sales; let it be a cost of hosting the Final 4 absorbed by the facility.

Pat Coleman

There's always been pre-sales and Ticketbasterds was used in Salem as well. The parking fee is probably the only major difference.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

If you want a good reserved seats, you're gonna have to pay a premium, fees, higher priced seat etc. If you don't care where you sit, get a ticket at the door. Unless it's Stevens Point, Hope, IWU and some other well-supported team, I don't think you have to worry about a sellout. I never worried about it at Salem and I won't at Fort Wayne.

I'd be curious to know how many Wheaton fans were there. They were, by far, the closest team to Fort Wayne. Being the early game Friday night, you didn't even need a hotel room.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

sac

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 18, 2019, 03:29:31 PM
If you want a good reserved seats, you're gonna have to pay a premium, fees, higher priced seat etc. If you don't care where you sit, get a ticket at the door. Unless it's Stevens Point, Hope, IWU and some other well-supported team, I don't think you have to worry about a sellout. I never worried about it at Salem and I won't at Fort Wayne.

I'd be curious to know how many Wheaton fans were there. They were, by far, the closest team to Fort Wayne. Being the early game Friday night, you didn't even need a hotel room.

Wheaton was the second game.

Ballpark figure of 500+ Wheaton fans there or more.

Greek Tragedy

Thanks for the correction. CNU vs Swarthmore was the first. Duh.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

thebear

Help me out here, Jack Flynn scored 0.2 less than Ben Boots, flynn was the leading rebounder, leading shot blocker, leading FG % on the national championship team in the toughest conference in the country and he's not the national player of the year.  Point guards do nothing without the bigs controlling the boards, and I will always take a 60% big over a 40% PG....
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Greek Tragedy

So you don't think Francis should be POTY?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Hey, Francis merely had (arguably) the single greatest season in D3 history - why would that make him POY?

I'll be interested to see how high he ranks when the next all-decade team comes out.  He was also second-team AA last year, but was only good, not great as a sophomore, and his freshman year was VERY undistinguished (he wasn't even a starter) at a CC.  He went from Aston Francis to ASTON FRANCIS by dint of persistence and hard work, not by natural talent.

BluesBrother

Vote for Austin Butler to represent D3 in the Slam Dunk Contest at the Final Four!

http://www.darkhorsedunker.com/

uaaaficionado

Aston Francis named a 2nd team all-american by the NABC. Does anyone else find this to be a complete sham? Unmatched statistical success throughout the regular season followed by leading his team to the final four. NABC loses a lot of credibility IMO. An absolute snub.