MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: scottie on March 13, 2018, 12:43:52 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 12, 2018, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: scottie on March 12, 2018, 06:03:21 PM
I'm going to start an annual D3 football showcase to be aired right before the Super Bowl. Check out my gofundme page soon....   ;)

How long were you a Division III head coach, and a Division III coach in general? I'll hang up and listen.

But since you asked, Pat, I was a DIII head coach for three years with two conference runner-ups and one conference championship on my resume.  Not in your "revenue sports," however, so you and your goons might not speak the same language. :)  If you're interested in adding a level of sophistication to your portfolio, you know where to find me.

I'd be fascinated as to where you think there are goons... but, you might be interested to know I played soccer at a DIII college... so while we are assuming things.

BTW - "revenue sports" in DIII? That's hysterical.

Finally, I don't see why you have a problem with a DIII coach, managing a TBT team made up of DIII players, trying to raise funds so that DIII can show off their best in the TBT. Maybe I am missing something or you are just not in a giving mood.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

John Gleich

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 13, 2018, 03:19:08 AM
Pat has goons?

I'll be one of Pat's goons if the benefits are decent.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Greek Tragedy

In the late 80s/early 90s when the West teams (ie Stevens Point among others) we're dominating the D3 hockey landscape, we went out to the Frozen Four, several times actually, to places like Rochester, Elmira and Plattsburgh. Those East teams were amazed at the size of our players and the fans called them Swampgoons. They skated around like little gnats while our teams just used our size. Swampgoon is also a seldom poster on these boards and was my partner in crime on those trips back in high school.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

scottie

It's kind of like you've come into a theater toward the end of a long movie and not sure about the characters or the plot. 

Anyways, welcome to the MWC board.
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

scottie

Congratulations to Nebraska Wesleyan.  What can be deduced from them being in the "others receiving votes" group as the regular season ended?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: scottie on March 19, 2018, 12:45:55 PM
Congratulations to Nebraska Wesleyan.  What can be deduced from them being in the "others receiving votes" group as the regular season ended?

That D3 parity this year went utterly mad!  Runner-up UW-Oshkosh was #24; the other two FF participants, Springfield and Ramapo, each received ZERO votes in that last poll!  I don't think the voters screwed up - I think there really was that much chaos in D3 this season.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The talent was always there; the schedule was a little weak and a few results didn't add up.  My question is why Lycoming got love all year with basically the same scenario?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

scottie

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 19, 2018, 12:53:27 PM

That D3 parity this year went utterly mad!  Runner-up UW-Oshkosh was #24; the other two FF participants, Springfield and Ramapo, each received ZERO votes in that last poll!  I don't think the voters screwed up - I think there really was that much chaos in D3 this season.

You're very gracious, Mr. Ypsi!   :D

iwumichigander

Quote from: scottie on March 19, 2018, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 19, 2018, 12:53:27 PM

You're very gracious, Mr. Ypsi!   :D
I think also other things not mentioned and in no particularly order.  Previously, NWU in NAIA and D3 having to elect post season division even though NWU did not give NAIA scholarships .  basically, nobody paid a lot of attention because of that.

Squeaking wheels get grease - I scrolled through several IILC post pages.  First, little posting on the site period. Second, hardly any posting about NWU.  Third, the recent postings since NCAA tourney came from posters from other conferences.

I am not implying voters cast ballots based on postings.  But, they do review these pages.  And, sometimes points made on these pages may cause a voter to take take harder look.  You can at least draw the interest of posters or lurkers to help other have some interest in your conference.

And jeez, you guys got me more interested in NWU than the IILC pages.  Some thanks!! ;D :D

scottie

Quote from: iwumichigander on March 19, 2018, 08:15:47 PM

And jeez, you guys got me more interested in NWU than the IILC pages.  Some thanks!! ;D :D

The MWC board is where great thoughts happen and are shared.   ;D

cubs

Zach Filzen is the new men's basketball coach at Lawrence University. Filzen was the head coach at Lancaster Bible College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania previously.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

gbpuckfan

full release:
APPLETON, Wis. -- Zach Filzen is the new men's basketball coach at Lawrence University, Director of Athletics Christyn Abaray announced today.
Filzen, the current head coach at Lancaster Bible College in Lancaster, Pa., becomes the 26th head coach in school history.
"I am excited to have Zach join our Lawrence family as our head men's basketball coach," Abaray said. "Zach's confidence, intensity, skillset and excitement were palpable. He is a rising star in the men's basketball coaching world who also highly values the influence institutions like Lawrence make on the holistic development of our student-athletes. We are looking forward to our men's basketball program and Lawrence benefitting from Zach at the helm."
In three seasons at Lancaster Bible, Filzen has put together a sparkling 64-21 record and won a pair of North Eastern Athletic Conference championships. Filzen guided Lancaster Bible to the 2016 and 2018 NEAC regular season and tournament titles. The Chargers played in the NCAA Division III Tournament in both of those seasons.
"I am extremely excited and honored to be selected as the next men's basketball coach at Lawrence University," Filzen said. "I want to thank Athletic Director Christyn Abaray and the search committee for the confidence they have placed in me to lead this outstanding program into the future. Through the search process, it became very apparent that Lawrence is a very special place with a commitment to excellence in the classroom and on the court. In addition, I was impressed by the many folks I met who share my passion to challenge and encourage student-athletes toward a life of excellence."
Filzen was chosen as the 2016 and 2018 NEAC Coach of the Year, and he earned 2016 D3hoops.com East Region Coach of the Year honors. Filzen's 2015-16 team posted a perfect 25-0 regular season record and went on to compile a 27-1 mark on the season. The 2015-16 squad was ranked as high as No. 13 by D3hoops.com.
Lancaster Bible is coming off a 23-6 season that saw the Chargers win both the regular season and NEAC Tournament titles. Filzen is shooting for the same level of excellence that has been the hallmark of Lawrence basketball over the last two-plus decades. 
"My vision for Lawrence basketball can be summed up in the phrase 'Best is the Standard,' " Filzen said. "Best is the Standard is the theme that will drive our program. It is a call to excellence every single day and in every single way. Our aim is to develop high character young men who bring their best every day in the classroom and on the court. It is my expectation that the players in our program will be prepared for life after college by earning a world-class degree from Lawrence while contributing to a top-notch basketball program established in a culture of selflessness and commitment."
Filzen has a grasp on Lawrence's stellar basketball history and the success the Vikings have experienced over the past 20-plus years. The Vikings have won six Midwest Conference championships and MWC Tournament titles since 1997. Lawrence has played in six NCAA Division III Tournaments and went farther than any team in MWC history when the Vikings reached the Elite 8 in 2004. Lawrence posted a 25-1 record in 2005-06 and were ranked No. 1 by D3hoops.com.
"Our coaching staff and players will work hard to return this program to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 levels that our alumni worked hard to achieve," Filzen said. "It is my desire to lead a program that will make our alumni, the Lawrence community and the Appleton community proud of and excited to get behind. I can't wait to get started."
A former NCAA Division I student-athlete, Filzen was a two-year starter at the University of Buffalo and helped his team to a pair of 20-plus win seasons. Filzen scored 1,155 career points and set the Buffalo record with 110 three-pointers made in a season. He also ranked fifth nationally that season in three-pointers made. Filzen led his team in scoring at 15.1 points per game as a junior and averaged 12.1 points as a senior. He started his career at Northern Arizona University and played one season there before tranferring to Buffalo.
A 2012 graduate of Buffalo with a bachelor's degree in communications, Filzen attended Capitol Seminary and earned a master's degree in ministry with an emphasis in leadership in 2016.
A native of Northfield, Minn., Filzen was a standout player at Northfield High School. Filzen set career and season records in points and earned All-Metro and All-State honors in 2007. Coaching runs in the Filzen family, and he grew up watching his mother, Tammy Metcalf-Filzen, guide the women's basketball programs at both Carleton College and St. Olaf College. Metcalf-Filzen was a college head coach for 15 seasons and compiled a 252-148 record, including a 226-122 record in 13 seasons at Carleton.
Filzen and his wife, Megan, have a daughter, Selah, and will join the Lawrence family on April 18.
Filzen takes over a team that finished 11-13 and tied for sixth in the Midwest Conference under the guidance of interim head coach Chris Kellett. The Vikings return 17 letter winners, including Quinn Fisher, Bryce Denham, Mason Materna and Dylan Hamlin, who were all starters during this past season.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

It's an interesting hire that seems a little bit out of the box, given both the fact that his coaching experience was in a completely different part of the country and the radical difference in institutional mission and philosophy between Lancaster Bible and Lawrence. The temptation to hire a young and dynamic coach with such a gaudy record and two D3 tourney trips in only three seasons at the helm at LBC clearly overrode those considerations.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

judgetrainer

Youth should bring energy that may have been lacking in recent years. Lawrence attracts students all over the country and has for years and the new guy grew up in Minnesota so it's not like he is unfamiliar with the Midwest.

I like the words being used. Now we will see what happens on the court next fall.