BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mideastfan

Any Wooster fans out there.........I don't know much about Wooster's pitching staff, but do they have anyone else who could have started this game?

I'm not at the game obviously, but it sounds like Barnes is a little wild, plus he just threw away a bunt at first.  He has to be tired after throwing a GREAT game this afternoon.

Just curious.

ScotsFan

Freshman Matt DeGrand is 5-0 in 7 starts this season.  Evidently, Pettorini would rather go with a tired Barnes than a fresh DeGrand. 

I would think that Barnes is on a very short leash.  But after a shaky 2nd, Barnes settles back down with an impressive 3rd. 

With the way Eschbaugh is pitching, it may not have mattered who the Scots sent to the mound as he has faced the minimum though 3. 

mideastfan

thanks!

Esch is throwing great so far; he's been a great surprise this year for Coach Brewer.  His ability to throw offspeed stuff and keep hitters off-guard has been very welcome.

He's a local kid, along with his brother senior shortstop Ryan, who were also both former Marietta batboys while they were growing up.  It shows how old some of us are getting!!

ScotsFan

ScotsFan

I really wish I could get in Pettorini's head.  Marietta gets the 1st two on in the bottom of the 4th and there's just activity in the Wooster bullpen.  How many runs is he going to allow Barnes to give up before he pulls the trigger?

ScotsFan

Finally, after giving up essentially 3 straight base hits, Pettorini comes out to pull Barnes.  Arguably one batter too late, IMO!  Now Wooster trails 3-0 with Marietta having runners on 1st and 3rd with only one out and that out was a sac bunt.

Jonh Warren is the lucky man to get the call to try and stop the bleeding here for the Scots!

mideastfan

I know what you mean.  I've seen it before first hand and scratched my head in the opposite dugout.  
He's riding Barnes' arm in this regional much like he did with freshman Benkowksi in the 1997 regional & WS.  

ScotsFan

Well, Marietta scores 2 more and now the Scots are faced with the prospect of scoring more runs in one game than they have in a game this entire regional against a pitcher who is on fire right now.  Things aren't looking so good for the Scots!

mideastfan

Scots almost get out of the 5th with a bases loaded 1-2-3 double play, but Litke comes through with a 2 RBI single.  Not sure why Pettorini pitched to him with a base open (he was already 2 for 2).

Marietta now leads 6-0 heading to the 6th.  Some line-up changes over the last few games by coach Brewer has the Pioneers offense clicking.

mideastfan

Marietta holds on for the 6-3 win.

Pettorini will probably rethink his pitching  decision, especially with the way Trap ended up closing out the game.  If he was that ready to go, he probably should've gotten the start.  The 4 runs that Barnes gave up early were a little too much to overcome.

Spence

Quote from: mideastfan on May 18, 2007, 08:15:02 PM
I know what you mean.  I've seen it before first hand and scratched my head in the opposite dugout. 
He's riding Barnes' arm in this regional much like he did with freshman Benkowksi in the 1997 regional & WS. 

That was the exact thought I had, only he wasn't crazy enough to throw even Binkowski two games on the same day (just 17 2/3 over two days if I remember correctly).

Biggest at-bat of the game was Litke's 2-run hit right after the 1-2-3 DP. If it stays 4-0 and Wooster cuts it to 4-3, our freshmen have a lot more to get jittery about.

I think Pettorini underestimated Nate Eschbaugh and expected this to be a high scoring game. He went with arguably his most offense-heavy lineup, taking out Johnson and Boesiger. He figured he could get through a few innings with Barnes and be in the game, and then keep it on track long enough to give the game to Trapuzzano with a chance to win.

But Eschbaugh's been tested and frankly has probably faced better lineups this year, and made it look (sound, to me) easy. One win to go; can we deny Ohio Wesleyan for about the eleventieth time?

old scot

Now that the Scots season is over, the following observations: Pettorini can admit that he got more from this team than expected. Never deserved the the No.1 ranking. He must be a good politician to jump from 15th to  1. The NCAC is so weak you don't have to play small ball to win games. During tournament time you need to manufacture runs and give the opposition 27 outs. Finanlly, seed a spy to southern Ohio to see how the boys from Etta get it done.

Spence

Woosterians (Woosterites?),

Serious question for those of you who have seen the Scots. In your opinion, could DeGrand have gotten it done if called upon? I know he hasn't faced the greatest of competition most of the time so maybe he isn't as good on a regional number as those stats look but he did go against a few decent clubs down south. Not that Barnes really threw poorly, we just took advantage of almost every little crack in the doorway. I think with the way Eschbaugh threw, being down on pitching and in the loser's bracket was going to have Wooster up against it regardless.

Oh, and as far as spies go, we have sniper nests on top of the hills overlooking the field and on the "4th floor" of the Tekulve Building for that sort of thing :)

Spence

Quote from: mideastfan on May 18, 2007, 08:04:42 PM
thanks!

Esch is throwing great so far; he's been a great surprise this year for Coach Brewer.  His ability to throw offspeed stuff and keep hitters off-guard has been very welcome.

He's a local kid, along with his brother senior shortstop Ryan, who were also both former Marietta batboys while they were growing up.  It shows how old some of us are getting!!

Ryan's the first Marietta player to score a run and steal a base before his career started (in grade school no less! :))

mideastfan

I almost forgot about that; the JV vs alumni game back when he was about 12.  Schaly let him pinch run b/c the alumni guys were ready to call it quits and we let him steal third, and he scored the winning run on the next ground-out.  It made him and Coach pretty happy :)