BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

From the "Bad to Worse" File...Wabash remains 0 for the millenium against DePauw after being swept in a twinbill last night.  That runs Wabash's losing streak against the Tigers to an agonizing 17 games (by my count).   :(
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

D3 Poster

Just reading the Woo paper and the ol' ball coach is quoted saying 'most unsatisfying 30-6 he can imagine'

I miss the Pettorini/Schaly rivalry...good baseball stuff!

old scot

D3, I read the same article.

Pettorini sounds like he is worried that if Woo doesn't win the NCAC tourney they may not get a pool C bid to the NCAA's. I would have to agree, with regional loses to BW, OWU, and Oberlin. They also have the potential to ring up a few more L's to regional teams with their remaining schedule.

Pretty harsh words from the coach. Maybe he is trying to motivate his team?

old scot

Wooster splits with Hiram Sunday.

Loses to Hiram and Oberlin in the same season. Ouch, that hurts.

old scot

What has happened to all the Wooster posters?

What do tou think their chances are against OWU and the NCAC tourney?

woosterbooster

There isn't much to say when you lose to the likes of Oberlin and Hiram.  But maybe now there's been a bit of a resurgance of spirit after the comeback win over JCU and the defeat of Ohio Northern.  We'll see soon enough.

Bubba O'Donnell has been playing some third base and has looked very good on that side of the infield.  I like that lineup, which should include John Warren at second.  Here's what I would do:

Karpen, LF - Get him to the plate often.
Sankal, CF
Skulina, 1B - Can swing the bat, but I still think his shoulder is bothering him.
Christenson, RF - Getting hot?  I hope.
Groezinger, DH
Swearingen, C - A far better OBP than anyone below him.
Warren, 2B - Limited at bats, but a pretty good stick.
Johnson, SS - Maybe coming around at the plate.
O'Donnell, 3B - Mostly a good glove, but improved at the plate.

ScotsFan

Quote from: old scot on May 02, 2008, 09:30:03 AM
What has happened to all the Wooster posters?

What do tou think their chances are against OWU and the NCAC tourney?
I've been laying low lately.  I guess I was taking the old addage that if you don't have anything nice to say, it's better to say nothing at all...

At least Wooster has a bit of momentum going into this weekend's series with OWU.  As far as how I think the Scots will fare, it's really hard to tell.   I really don't see one team that has a clear edge in a short series like this one.  Wooster's ERA is about a point lower than OWU's.  Wooster is batting about 80 points higher as a team and scoring a little over a run more per game as well.  Surprisingly Wooster also has almost twice as many stolen base attempts.  Defensively, both Wooster and OWU appear to be about dead even as Wooster comes in with a .954 and the Bishops are just slightly better at .958. 

IMO, if Wooster can get Samson and Trap to perform to the levels they were expected to this season, I think the Scots are in good shape.  If this goes to a decisive 3rd game, who knows what could happen. 

Even though Wooster's pitching depth isn't as good as many had hoped, I sill feel that the Scots' depth is better than OWU's.  The thing that scares me is the fact that the West appears to be much stronger than the east this year.  OWU is battle tested much moreso than Wooster IMO.  Will that play to an advantage for the Bishops?

One more question.  If Wooster fails to advance to the NCAC Finals, is their season over?  I have a hard time believing they will gain an at large bid if they lose to OWU this weekend.

old scot

I think Woo needs to win the NCAC to get in. They have to many bad loses to regional teams and not enough quality wins to their season.

Sampson and Trapuzzano have not had All American seasons. Very average, not even close to dominating.

They way the OAC tourney pans out will have some effect on the pool C bids handed out to the NCAC.

old scot

In the bottom of the 7th, Wooster leads OWU 14-4.

Denison beats Kenyon 15-3.

old scot

Wooster wins game one 14-7.

DH starts Sunday at 1:00 PM. Todays action did not commence untill 3:30 PM.

old scot

Wooster gets sweep today, 6-3 & 14-6.

I would have to say their season is over. They never showed they were a dominant team all year. The season may have produced some bright spots but overall, I fell they under achieved.

BASH6-4-3

congratulations to OWU and Denison on their series victories.  Gives me some solace to see the NCAC-West perform well and it shows that the division was very competitive this year.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

woosterbooster

There is one real question regarding this year's Scot baseball team, and that is "What happened to the pitching, which was expected to be so stellar?"  Nearly every Wooster hurler fell off from his performance of last season, and in the end, that was the key to the team's demise.

But there are other things.  As has become all to common with Scot teams, they simply cannot throw the ball around the diamond without it getting loose and producing problems.  Every year Wooster is able to outslug most of it's opponents, but when tournament time arrives and the calibre of the opposition rises, the Scots' mediocre defense begins to take its toll.

And then there are the coaching decisions, decisions in which the situation was completely over-analyzed instead of just letting the player swing the bat. 

Game one, fourth inning: A suicide squeeze, on the first pitch, with the bases loaded and Wooster down two runs?  Unbelievable!  Then, when the hitter doesn't make contact on a pitch that was high and a foot outside (the runner, of course, being out at the plate by a mile) the coach states that the hitter didn't execute?  Man.

Game one, fifth inning: Pinch-hitting for the number-three hitter in the fifth inning, to BUNT, in a clutch situation?  This was your three-hitter (I don't think he should have been, but that's another story); if he wasn't a man that you wanted up there in that crucial spot, why did you put him there in the first place?

Game two, fourth inning: Men on first and second, nobody out.  Matthew Johnson is given the signal to bunt.  No problem, except that Wooster is down THREE runs at the time, in a game that is giving every indication that it's going to be high scoring.  Wooster absolutely needs to play for the big inning, not TWO runs, which is what you're doing if you bunt in that situation.  Besides, with the exception of O'Donnell, nobody on Wooster can bunt, and Johnson popped out to the catcher.

Every year in tournament time it comes down to this.  When the level of pitching improves and the Scots cannot outslug their opponent, they are in big trouble.  Their attempts at little ball fail for two reasons: they not only cannot execute (probably because not enough time is spent on this) but the plays are called at all the wrong times and instead of aiding the team only proceed to shoot them in their collective feet.  Unless this changes, and it hasn't in years, the Scots will continue to disappoint.   

old scot

WB, were you at the game?

Trying to squeeze with the bases loaded makes no sense at all with the potential force out at home.

Pinch hitting for your 3 hole hitter with a bunt, no way.

I don't have a problem with trying to bunt runners into scoring position being 3 runs down in the 4th inning. The batter must execute though. I wonder how many times during the year players were called upon to make this happen? You can't just flash the sign for a SAC bunt or squeeze and expect it to happen if it wasn't practiced with conviction in pre-season.

As I have stated before, repetition is the mother of education. Without proper preparation you can't just assume it will happen.

woosterbooster

I was at all three Wooster-OWU games this weekend.