BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotsFan

Quote from: 75westbound on May 10, 2008, 08:43:52 PM
Sorry, ScotsFan, but I'm not interested in pursuing an argument. I know some on boards like this live for an argument that goes on and on, but it's not my thing. I come to share information and to hear information.

Well isn't that big of you...  ::)

Perhaps then, you should avoid the inflammatory remarks like the one you made in your inaugural post...  ???

woosterbooster

I don't know, it sure looked like an embarrassing doubleheader loss to me, too.  It's not that losing two games to OWU is something to be embarrassed by, OWU is obviously a pretty good ballclub.  But Wooster neither played well nor was coached well; at times they looked amateurish (well, I guess they are amateurs, aren't they?) compared to the Bishops, and they SHOULD feel a bit embarrassed.  Maybe, also, hopefully, a bit angry and determined, as they head into NCAA play.

old scot

It looks like Heidelberg has saved Woosters bacon as far as a pool C bid. With the sweep of Marietta, they made the decision almost a no- brainer now. There could always be a surprise, though.

If Woo does get a reprieve on the season, I would like to see them "play to win". In otherwords, play loose and aggressive.

ScotsFan

In the midst of all of the playoff action, I just wanted to congratulate Wooster's Adam Samson in garnering NCAC Pitcher of the Year and also Sean Karpen for garnering player of the year.  It was announced on the radio today during Wooster's game with RHIT as were all the Wooster players to earn 1st and 2nd team.  I can't remember offhand who they were and they don't have it up yet on the NCAC homepage yet.  I must say, I wasn't expecting a Wooster sweep, but congrats to those players nonetheless.

ScotsFan

OWU was also eliminated today by Eastern Conn. today by the score of 5-1.

old scot

Final thoughts on the Scot's season.
They had the season I expected. Early season rankings were based on returning pitching, which couldn't duplicate it's 07 performance. Offensively, too many holes to fill with graduation and starting underclassmen choosing not to return.

Wooster had a nice season, nothing great. Players stepped in and did well but, no one to really carry the team.
2009 season seems wide open. They loose alot to graduation. The underclassmen should be excited to compete for starting jobs. Reload or rebuild?

old scot

What is wrong with the NCAC website for baseball. It hasn't been updated since May 5th.
No championship info, no all conference teams. Very poor job done by the NCAC administrative end.

rhitfan

I'm not sure the coaches should have been allowed to return after the Rose game

Here is a recap on what actually happened in the 13th inning, ejections and all:

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_story_137234648.html
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_story_137233906.html?keyword=topstory
http://www.tribstar.com/sports_columns/local_story_138233655.html

All three very interesting reads.....

Pat Coleman

Quote from: old scot on May 18, 2008, 08:39:25 AM
What is wrong with the NCAC website for baseball. It hasn't been updated since May 5th.
No championship info, no all conference teams. Very poor job done by the NCAC administrative end.

The conference just e-mailed its All-Conference team this morning. Was it chosen before today?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

75westbound

Old Scot, Although the all-conference team isn't posted on the NCAC baseball page, it is posted on the NCAC home page.

http://www.northcoast.org/

Interesting that OWU and Denison, which won the divisions, have a total of four players out of 28 on the first and second teams. Talk about coaches making the most out of the talent they have.

Wooster puts seven players on the first team, Wittenberg three, Kenyon three, OWU one, Allegheny one, Wabash one.

Four of those Wooster players are seniors.

Next year should be interesting.

===

Rules to live by:
  Don't drink and drive.
  If you drink and drive, don't get a DUI.
  If you get a DUI, don't get another one.
  If you get two DUIs and lose your license, don't drive the team bus.
  If you drive the team bus, and the boss finds out about it, don't claim it's "a personal matter."

ScotsFan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 19, 2008, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: old scot on May 18, 2008, 08:39:25 AM

The conference just e-mailed its All-Conference team this morning. Was it chosen before today?
I'm assuming so because Ken Nemeth announced Samson and Karpen as winning Pitcher and Player of the year respectively during the radio broadcast of their game with RHIT last week at the regional.  He also named off all of the Scots that made the all-conference team.  Not sure why it took the NCAC so long to release the info.  This is how I knew that Samson and Karpen had been chosen back on the 16th.

ScotsFan

Quote from: old scot on May 18, 2008, 08:34:14 AM
Final thoughts on the Scot's season.
They had the season I expected. Early season rankings were based on returning pitching, which couldn't duplicate it's 07 performance. Offensively, too many holes to fill with graduation and starting underclassmen choosing not to return.

Wooster had a nice season, nothing great. Players stepped in and did well but, no one to really carry the team.

Good assessment old scot.  I have to say, the pitching is what disappointed me most about this team.  I think it was expected that the pitching staff was going to have to carry the load for a not quite as explosive Wooster offense.  I don't know whether they over-acieved in '07 or what, but the pitching staff just never attained that level of success this season. 

Quote from: old scot on May 18, 2008, 08:34:14 AM
2009 season seems wide open. They loose alot to graduation. The underclassmen should be excited to compete for starting jobs. Reload or rebuild?

Wooster did have quite a few talented seniors they're losing to graduation.  But, does Wooster ever have to rebuild?  I'm confident that they will reload with the talent they have waiting in the wings.

From the pitching staff, Wooster is only losing one pitcher to graduation.  Granted, he's the reigning 2-time NCAC Pitcher of the Year and an All-American, but the rest of the staff comes back intact.  I would guess you'll see Mark Miller in a starting role next year to join Trapuzzano and Matt Barnes along with the a host of others that showed some potential.

As for the position players, Wooster loses 4.  Three of which made NCAC 1st Team.  And those 3 players were also among the top 5 in batting average for the Scots.  But, Wooster does return 5 players that were regulars in the starting lineup, including NCAC Player of the Year Sean Karpen. 

I'm guessing that we won't see a pre-season top 10 ranking from the pollsters for Wooster next year.  And IMO, that is a good thing.  It seems that every year Wooster comes into the season highly ranked, they always fall well short of their expectations.  Maybe next year, they can fly a bit under the radar and surprise some people come tournament time.

ScotsFan

Quote from: 75westbound on May 19, 2008, 06:08:16 PM
Interesting that OWU and Denison, which won the divisions, have a total of four players out of 28 on the first and second teams. Talk about coaches making the most out of the talent they have.
And the NCAC recognized that by naming OWU's interim head coach, Tyler Mott as the Coach of the Year.  BTW, how much longer is that interim tag going to stick with Mott?  I definitely think he proved that he can coach and he deserves to be named head coach for the Bishops.

old scot

ScotsFan,
       I don't think Karpen will be back. His playing eligibility considers him a Jr. but, I think academically he is a Sr. I believe he sat out his Fr. year due to injury. I would be nice to have him back but, I doubt it will happen.
DIII doesn't have the luxury of DI & DII to keep a player for 5 years to play 4.

ScotsFan

old scot,

Thanks for pointing that out.  I wasn't aware of that.  I was just going by the roster.  I always thought the roster listed you as your current year in school and not your current year of eligibility.  I remember when Tom Port was a senior, he still had a year of eligibility, but he was still listed as a senior on the roster that year.  And he was one of the rare exceptions that ended up coming back for a 5th year. 

I know what you're saying about staying the extra year at the DIII level though.  Not too many families can swing that extra 40 grand for another year of eligiblity.