FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Football Fan, widebasepanther and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

All NESCAC

Quote from: P'bearfan on November 23, 2015, 10:09:22 AM
QuoteOn the possible change of the Amherst unofficial mascot of Lord Jeff. Is the Town going to change it's name? What about Amherst College, and the Univ. of Mass at Amherst? None of that will be changed. Can't we just reach the point where we understand people and life is not perfect, and accept historical figures with "warts and all"? I'm tired of PC being forced down our throats by a bunch of academics, or students that obviously have too much time on their hands. Just my opinion.

NewtoNESCAC....you make a very interesting point.  Where should colleges draw the line? 

Some at the University of Missouri want to remove a stature of Thomas Jefferson because he was a slave owner.  That seems like a "bridge too far" to me.  As you mention we need to start with understanding that our leaders are flawed people - even the Founding Fathers.

However, what is a black student at the University of Texas supposed to make of a larger than life statue of Jefferson Davis standing on the South Mall of their campus? Hard to justify that in my mind.

This year Bowdoin decided to discontinue the Jefferson Davis award - a cash prize for a student focusing on constitutional law in the Gov't and Legal Studies department.  Given Bowdoin's strong relationship with the Civil War it stunned me that this prize ever existed.

And just for the record....yes, I'm strongly in favor of Amherst changing it's mascot, school name and town name to Purple Moose.  This change should be implemented immediately.  At least this way people won't pronounce the "H". ;D

The Purple Moose....are they for real at Amherst...PC run amok...that's why the TV commercial from KIA changing the "Participant" trophy to "Champs" is perfect....I'm sure the Williams Purple Cows (now that's a mascot which strikes fear in an opponent), if given a choice back in the day, would have rather had a different mascot, but it is what it is....long live Lord Jeff!!!

PolarCat

Maybe the good folks at Amherst could buy some time if they claimed Lord Jeff was actually transgender?  That way, it would be a microaggression against the entire LGBT community (which is plentiful in the Pioneer Valley) to "defrock" one of their own.  They could still have the Moose at the games, but maybe shim (gender-neutral pronoun) should be a Rainbow Moose instead of a Purple Moose?  (You couldn't have a Lord Jeff in drag, because that would be a cultural appropriation, and therefor verboten).

amh63

The football season in the conference is really over, when posters are talking about mascots, and other topics that is sweeping the colleges.
FYI, there has been some good writing in the WSJ, including today wrt the "Crybullies"...a label that has caught on.  Sorry that your alma mater has been infected too, PolarCat.
With respect to the Amherst mascot...my classmates have been discussing it seriously and silly online.  The silly part is what is the plural of Moose...meese?....welcome to the town of Moose, etc.  The serious discussion is not for here. 
It should be pointed out that the mascot issue has morphed into something that has struck other campuses.  On Amherst it has been a sort of takeover of the Library with a list of demands.....one that reveals the idiotic and strange nature of the protesters..seeking power as well as comfort zones.  The demand that revealed their nature was....the removal of free speech posters put up by other students.
Not wishing this situation on any other campuses, I must note that the first president of Williams was an officer that reported to Lord Amherst during the French-Indian War.  The King of England directed Lord Amherst to win the war and it is possible that the King was named Williams.  Guilt by association could cause possible name changing in the Bershires?  Sorry posters, but it does illustrate the " silliness and waste of time and resources.  As  an opinion writer stated. ......WASHINGTON D.C maybe called " Swampsville" , if people do not return to their senses.

westcoastDad

I told those bums that Jimmy Fairfield-Sonn was defendive POY and Coach Mills Coach of the Year.  No doubt and congrats!

PolarCat

amh63, you are absolutely correct that the current nonsense has infected Hanover as well.  At least the offensive mascot disappeared 30-plus years ago, so the crybullies can't fight that fight, too. 

I feel sorry for college administrators in this day and age.  As if the constant fundraising, alumni-stroking and Title IX concerns weren't bad enough, they now have to deal with self-important, ridiculously entitled students, demanding the Administration's head on a platter if the constant coddling is not delivered with enough enthusiasm.  And the irony is, these malcontents will fail woefully when they hit "the real world", will never have the wherewithal to support the Alumni Fund, and will no doubt blame their colleges for their own failures.

I'm going to get a dozen -K's for going so painfully off-topic, but if you haven't read Jonathan Haidt's take on the situation, or watched his amazing lecture at Yale about Coddling U. vs. Strengthening U., they are well worth your time:

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2015/11/the-revenge-of-the-coddled-an-interview-with-jonathan-haidt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5QmZPzvlQ&ab_channel=BuckleyProgramAtYale

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

RetiredMule

All Conference Selections are out and ready to be analyzed.

http://www.nescac.com/sports/fball/2015-16/honors/allconference

Offensive POY: Chance Brady, Tufts
Defensive POY: Jimmy Fairfield-Sonn, Amherst
ROY: Max Chipouras, Trinity
Coach of the Year: E.J. Mills, Amherst

I will work on some analysis write up and full line ups.  But there are the big names to start!  Congrats to all.

RetiredMule

Some breakdown of the All-NESCAC teams for 2015.

Amherst: 15   (24% of total)
Trinity: 13   (21%)
Middlebury: 9   (15%)
Tufts: 7   (11%)
Wesleyan: 6   (10%)
Bates: 3   (5%)
Hamilton: 3   (5%)
Bowdoin: 2   (3%)
Colby: 2   (3%)
Williams: 2   (3%)

First Team: Trinity (10), Amherst (7), Middlebury (5), Tufts (4), Wesleyan (3), Hamilton (2), Bates (1), Colby (1)
Second Team: Amherst (8), Middlebury (4), Trinity (3), Tufts (3), Wesleyan (3), Bates (2), Bowdoin (2), Williams (2), Colby (1), Hamilton (1)

Amherst: Sam Hart, Jackson McGonagle, Rob Thoma, Paul Johnson, Thomas Kleyn,  Jimmy Fairfield-Sonn, Jaymie Spears, Reece Foy, Kenny Adinkra, Elijah Zabludoff, Devin Boehm, Charlie Wall, Jackson McGonagle,  Niyi Odewade, Evan Boynton
Trinity: Matthew Porter, Chris Simmons, Bryan Vieria, Kyle Pulek, Darrien Myers, Lyle Baker, Matt D'Andrea, Liam Kenneally, Paul McCarthy, Yosa Nosamiefan, Max Chipouras, Preston Kelly, Spencer Donahue
Middlebury: Matt Milano, Matthew Minno, Gil Araujo, Tim Patricia, Nate Leedy, Andy Klarman, Trevor Miletich, Addison Pierce, Dan Pierce
Tufts: Chance Brady, Akene Farmer-Michos, Willie Holmquist,  Zach Thomas, Mike Rando, Micah Adickes, Patrick Williams
Wesleyan: Blake Cunningham, Jordan Stone, Justin Sanchez, Joe Wilson, Mike Breuler, Alex Daversa-Russo
Bates: Mark Upton, Mark Riley, Brandon Williams
Hamilton: Jason Nastovski, Charles Ensley, Dylan Berardelli
Bowdoin: Matthew Netto, Bryan Porter
Colby: Jabari Hurdle-Price, Ryan Ruiz
Williams: Darrias Sime, Elijah Eaton

Congrats to all members of the 2015 All-NESCAC Teams.  I just thought some would enjoy a breakdown of how the teams were represented.

nescac1

I think most Williams folks love the purple cow mascot -- I certainly do.  Makes for great merchandise and signage, certainly, memorable, unique, and fun, exactly what a college mascot should be.  And it's in line with the other goofy NESCAC animal mascots like polar bears, camels, bobcats, and whatever Trinity's mascot is.  And let's face it, even if you ignore the whole attempted-genocide thing, Lord Jeff is a ridiculously stupid mascot -- a big colonial dude who no one has ever heard of, and the Lord Jeffs as a team name doesn't exactly work for women's teams.  I think the whole PC run amok thing has gotten a bit ridiculous too, especially at Amherst, but the one issue that I agree with the protestors on is Lord Jeff ... when someone's claim to fame is distributing smallpox-laden blankets to Native Americans, seems like a fair criticism to want to ditch the mascot, especially when it's already the worst mascot in the league.  That's a FAR cry from what is happening at Princeton, where they are trying to scrub references to a U.S. President because he happened to hold racist views that were, alas, wholly in line with general society at the time. 

Alas, the mascot (and the facility) are the only positive things about Eph football right now.  Williams football has zero players who have ever been named all-conference returning next year.  They will need to find a new QB, a new receiving core (that was the one real strength on the team), three new offensive linemen, and new LBs and safeties.  There is some young talent on the defensive line which could improve and play well with real coaching.  And I think Sorrento could be a pretty good as a featured TB if there was ever any blocking up front.  But that's about it in terms of reasons for hope.  Plus I'm sure it's just about impossible to recruit right now with all the uncertainty surrounding the program.  Whoever is in charge next year will be inheriting a program at its all-time nadir in terms of talent on hand.  The first recruiting class of (the assumed) new staff will need to be a MONSTER.  There is no reason it can't be since you have the chance to build a new legacy, while getting immediate playing time as a frosh, at an institution with a proud football tradition and top-notch football facilities.  How hard a sell can that really be? 

lumbercat

I usually don't pay too much attention to the All Conference selections though it is nice to see the top players get some recognition.

After reviewing this years team a couple of things come to my attention.

Brendan Morin of Bowdoin, an excellent LB and the leader in Nescac tackling stats was snubbed. This is an injustice- I believe Morin was overlooked because of the stigma surrounding the Bowdoin reporting of stats- especially tackles and assists. This is a very subjective and "open" area in terms of reporting with SIDs, sometimes influenced by coaches,  compiling the numbers.

Feel bad for Morin as a grinder and leader on the Bowdoin D who may have been snubbed because the all conference selectors did not buy the Bowdoin stats.

This started under the Caputi regime last year when 2 fine LBs Cardew and Cleary compiled tackle and assist stats that were suspect to many who watched the games and saw the film. At the end of the day it appeared the Bowdoin stat reports were a little "embellished".

Morin was as tough as they come and had a fine year- he should have had a place somewhere on the all conference selections.

Over in Middlebury I am well aware of the PR surrounding Nate Leedy. Know all about his history and recruiting information. He was a great recruiting score for the Panthers program and will be a great contributor to Middlebury football.

I know Leedy is all Middlebury but disagree with his 1st team all conference nod this year.......2 guys in the same Panther defensive backfield seem to have performed better.......

Leedy -      Tackles 27.   Sacks 0.  TFL. 1.5.  Int  3.
Hopsicker - Tackles 58!  Sacks  1. TFL   2.5.  Int. 4
Pierce-       Tackles 46.  Sacks. 1. TFL   2.5.  Int. 1

How does Hopsicker get overlooked?

frank uible

Selection of an all-star team is a form of sausage making.

desertcat1

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Safe Travels. :-*
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

Nescacman

Quote from: Nescacman on November 18, 2015, 11:18:16 PM
Our sources tell us that league awards and all-league teams will be announced as early as tomorrow. Early congrats to OPOTY Chance Brady from Tufts, DPOTY Jimmy Fairfield-Sonn from Amherst and ROTY Max Chipouras from Trinity. As far as all league, Amherst will have  7 first teamers, Trinity 10 (including 5 on defense), Tufts 4, Middlebury 5, Wesleyan 3,  Bates 1, Colby 1, Hamilton 1, Bowdoin 0, Williams 0. Not sure of Coach of the Year, but it will come down to Mills, Devanney, Civetti and DiCenzo. We'll go with Mills for another 8-0 season.

For those that question our sources: For the record, this was posted a week ago.

polbear73

Quote from: PolarCat on November 24, 2015, 02:47:32 PM
amh63, you are absolutely correct that the current nonsense has infected Hanover as well.  At least the offensive mascot disappeared 30-plus years ago, so the crybullies can't fight that fight, too. 

I feel sorry for college administrators in this day and age.  As if the constant fundraising, alumni-stroking and Title IX concerns weren't bad enough, they now have to deal with self-important, ridiculously entitled students, demanding the Administration's head on a platter if the constant coddling is not delivered with enough enthusiasm.  And the irony is, these malcontents will fail woefully when they hit "the real world", will never have the wherewithal to support the Alumni Fund, and will no doubt blame their colleges for their own failures.

I'm going to get a dozen -K's for going so painfully off-topic, but if you haven't read Jonathan Haidt's take on the situation, or watched his amazing lecture at Yale about Coddling U. vs. Strengthening U., they are well worth your time:

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2015/11/the-revenge-of-the-coddled-an-interview-with-jonathan-haidt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5QmZPzvlQ&ab_channel=BuckleyProgramAtYale

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
+k and I would give you more if I could.  On that note, Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone and thanks for making NESCAC football more enjoyable.

amh63

Nescacman.....Good man/persons!   
Add my Happy Thanksgiving to all!   Safe Travels and Chew Slow! :)
According to some historians....it was a time for the Pilgrims to pause and reflect...to look forward hopefully..during a difficult period.  How appropriate!

Nescacman

Quote from: frank uible on November 25, 2015, 12:21:51 AM
Selection of an all-star team is a form of sausage making.

"Cow-free" sausage, eh Frank?!?