BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish21

Hamstrings and I've never seen anyone that hates the cold as much as Augie! I don't know how he moved with all the clothes he had on under his uniform! We had a ritual where I'd bring him a cup of coffee before every game. It started at the regionals at Wesleyan in 2000. He'd hide in the dugout until I'd get there with the coffee so he could warm up.

He is unique!!!
Iron Will

BigPoppa

Augie is one of those people you hear others talking about and think they are making it all up... until you meet him and realize that it is the truth. He and Yogi Berra speak a language all their own.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

augie_superfan

Here is the Augie preview...

http://www.augustana.edu/athletics/baseball/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1138212878&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

Rumor from a Carthage friend says Heinig was purposely left off the season preview but not for motivational reasons.

BigPoppa

Quote from: augie_superfan on January 27, 2006, 11:42:09 AM

Rumor from a Carthage friend says Heinig was purposely left off the season preview but not for motivational reasons.

I have heard some rumors as well, but I think it is best to keep them off this site. I would hate for them to be wrong and risk hurting a kid for no reason.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 22, 2006, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: Sweetness on January 22, 2006, 12:22:07 AM
So, what is the next baseball topic?

I was hoping to get a scouting report on the other CCIW teams. Are there others out the with info on NPU, Wheaton, North Central, Augie, or Millikin??
NCC hasn't made a ripple in the conference recently and the program is sad.  What Purcell and Mathey had is gone.  The alumni support is not there and the team doesn't play with the same heart that other teams played with under a different Coach.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

BigPoppa

NCC used to be the real deal... I think Mathey took all the magic with him to NIU. Taking the assistant coaches with him really hurt the alumni links to the program.

This should be a very competitive CCIW race.

coachb

Where is the toughest place to play in the CCIW in terms of fields and fans? Where are the best?

cokeaholic

The worst place to play based on field conditions and fans has to be milikin, and the nicest field to play at i would have to say is ill. weslyan

bodhi5

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 25, 2006, 02:52:17 PM
Quote from: Sweetness on January 25, 2006, 01:29:27 PM
North Park should just find after conference to play in because they are terrible.
If they keep this 1-34 record up, one day they are going to be on ESPN NEWS for worst baseball team ever.

Here is some interesting information for you CCIW fans: 

Over the past two seasons, Aurora University is 12-0 against the CCIW.  With an 8-0 record against the CCIW in 2005, you could argue that AU won the NIIC and CCIW championships.

As for the quote above, how about for the 2006 season AU and North Park switch conferences?  Just a thought.

BigPoppa

Does NP still play inside the track?? It was tough place to play as a right fielder as you almost need to play in the infield.

I always thought that Carthage was also a tough place to place because of all the wind... and I played for Carthage!

North Central was also tough to play, but it was because of the fans riding you for six straight hours.

augie_superfan

I'm partial to the new Augie field as having the best playing surface...not the toughest place to play though (since students cant drink and get rowdy like @Carthage & @Millikin).  I think Carthage can be a very tough place to play due to it usually being sorta cold and windy.  IWU and NCC have great complexes but I think Augie's field is better (biased view).   

North Park's new field is crazy.  It's part of the football/baseball/softball megafield.  Right field fence is the football stands which runs straight to center.  Then, from there it's like playing little league in left field where behind the left fielder is the softball field.  If memory serves me right, the only fence they have in left is about 450 away and is the 3rd base backstop of the softball field.  Also, they have that "play" turf stuff that you see on football fields.  I was never a fan of that for fielding grounders because the ball seemed to skip off the rubber marbles in the "grass".  And little cutout dirt spots for bases never did it for me.

titan missile

Quote from: bohdi5 on February 01, 2006, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 25, 2006, 02:52:17 PM
Quote from: Sweetness on January 25, 2006, 01:29:27 PM
North Park should just find after conference to play in because they are terrible.
If they keep this 1-34 record up, one day they are going to be on ESPN NEWS for worst baseball team ever.

Here is some interesting information for you CCIW fans: 

Over the past two seasons, Aurora University is 12-0 against the CCIW.  With an 8-0 record against the CCIW in 2005, you could argue that AU won the NIIC and CCIW championships.

As for the quote above, how about for the 2006 season AU and North Park switch conferences?  Just a thought.

It's pretty hard to argue this given the pitching setups for non-conference games during the conference season.  CCIW teams pretty much throw their #4-8 pitchers during weekday non-conference games, and save their top of their rotation for the 3 weekend games that actually have meaning.  If a top dog does throw during the week, he is only going to get a couple innings to stay sharp.

titan missile

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 01, 2006, 12:42:42 PM
Does NP still play inside the track?? It was tough place to play as a right fielder as you almost need to play in the infield.

I always thought that Carthage was also a tough place to place because of all the wind... and I played for Carthage!

North Central was also tough to play, but it was because of the fans riding you for six straight hours.

Conference weekends in April and May were always fun at the Jack.  The atmosphere there is pretty special, especially late in the season when the weather is nice and students are out.  Fans on the houses across the street with kegs and banners, and an occasional megaphone.

irish21

I have to agree with Titan Missile. I know Carthage never threw their studs against non-conference opponents during the week. We played Ripon several times and you would have thought the legend Gordie Gillespie was playing for the DIII World Series. Carthage always saw their 1 or 2 while pitching their 5 or 6.

Aurora got the Redmen in the playoffs a couple of years ago so that may be included in the 12-0 record. But overall they never saw Carthage's best pitchers.
Iron Will

Sweetness

Should Aurora University move to the cciw?