FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger64

Couple of quick takes, I was left at the end of the game pointing to a few moments I thought, had they gone the other way, may of changed the momentum, not necessarily the result.  I thought the Tigers would need to catch if not all of the breaks, the majority, given that RMC was more experienced, and had largely (until Ferrum and momentarily during Bridgewater game) been the beast of the conference.  The first play from scrimmage when we make a big time reception and then fumble at the end.....had we punched it in to start that drive may of been a big turn of momentum.  The O, outside of that one big play really couldn't get any momentum in the first half.  By the time they gathered momentum in the second half, the D was porous so all it ended up amounting to was a you score, I score affair.  I thought the D stood tough a few times in the first half, but when we really needed it was at the very end of the first half when RMC scored on third and long on a back shoulder fade with 5 ticks left.  I know it is just semantics, but going into half time down 14-0 when your Offense hasn't really been able to string a drive together almost feels like a victory whereas 21-0 under the same circumstances does not.  Could both of those turn of events in the first half changed the result?  Probably not, but I feel they would of changed momentum and you wouldn't of had 41-14 at one point.  Could also not turning the ball over as much as the Tigers did change the result?  Probably not, but the momentum and flow of the game would of been affected.  H-SC needed to catch their breaks and seize momentum and they did not.  Congrats to Macon, I do not believe it will be another 10 years, but I do believe the Tigers need to get bigger, stronger, and older....which they will.  Interested to see where the Tigers are next year with so many returners on O, need to replace Cobb which will be a big hole to fill though.

tigerFanAlso2

Hard to disagree with your comments. One of the biggest challenges facing the Tigers next year is we will start the season with a QB with absolutely no game experience and another undersized OL, assuming all returning 2018 OL starters will start in 2019. We'll see what next year brings. Hopefully the Staff will figure things out, hopefully the execution will be more consistent, hopefully the run game will improve and hopefully the defense will be able to better defend the run.
Maintain the faith and lets see where it goes from here; no doubt HSC needs to get better, bigger, faster and stronger and older as you stated. Age as a lot to do with getting bigger, faster and stronger. Go Tigers !!!!

HSCTiger64

that's my theory too, get older, and we should, in theory, getting bigger, faster, and stronger.  When you bring back your OL and your RB, if everyone commits to improving, you should improve.  I like our position moving forward in the ODAC overall, though maybe not necessarily in just the rivalry with RMC.  I was thinking about this the other day, who is your biggest disappointment in the ODAC this year? 

Ferrum beats the top two teams in the ODAC (HSC and RMC) but can only beat one other ODAC opponent, but it was their first year in conference.

W&L certainly returned the most, but to finish 5-5 with the group that returned and lose some of the games they lost certainly was not expected.  To return what they did (especially Breece) and finish .500 shows, in my opinion, just how good Scott Abbell was/is.  (look at what he is doing at Davidson in year one.....)  Those are my two that jump right off the top of my head, but you could also argue Shenandoah (you had an elite QB in Bauserman, when is the breakthrough going come now?) Really the ODAC, outside of RMC, could all be looking at the years as what if/disappointments.  Only one team with 6 wins this year (on the flip side every team had multiple conference victories, resulting in an anyone can beat anyone ODAC). 

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger64 on November 12, 2018, 12:04:04 PM

W&L certainly returned the most, but to finish 5-5 with the group that returned and lose some of the games they lost certainly was not expected.  To return what they did (especially Breece) and finish .500 shows, in my opinion, just how good Scott Abbell was/is.  (look at what he is doing at Davidson in year one.....) 

Uggh. Yes. We took a halftime lead again and again into games and then either got almost overtaken or overtaken in the second half. The consistency with which that happens tells me something. But, like we must be patient when our players need to mature, so must we be patient for other things. It just seems like a very tough year for that to have happened with the talent we brought back.

Good luck to RMC. The ODAC is pulling for you guys. Congratulations on winning the conference and to all the teams. It was a very competitive season once again in the ODAC.

HSCTiger fan

Not sure who my biggest disappointment was but my biggest surprise has to be Bridgewater. BC was a two point conversion against RMC from winning the ODAC.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 12, 2018, 04:50:26 PM
Not sure who my biggest disappointment was but my biggest surprise has to be Bridgewater. BC was a two point conversion against RMC from winning the ODAC.
And a fluke last second interception from losing to GC.  Easy to second guess, but most teams have a few plays that could have gone either way.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on November 12, 2018, 09:27:05 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 12, 2018, 04:50:26 PM
And a fluke last second interception from losing to GC.  Easy to second guess, but most teams have a few plays that could have gone either way.

Not second guessing anyone. Simply stating my surprise as to where BC finished this season. They were picked dead last by the coaches in their preseason poll. I cannot remember where d3 ranked them but pretty much sure they were down the list.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

HSCTiger64

Bridgewater finishing the way they did was impressive.  Gotta feel for Guilford, lose on the interception to BW, lose on a FG at the gun vs H-SC.  Are any ODAC teams beside Ferrum getting their tenth game in this week?  Ferrum vs. Averett in Danville on Saturday.  I think this is the second year in a row that AU is finishing the season during week one of the playoffs

HSCTiger74

Quote from: HSCTiger64 on November 14, 2018, 08:22:40 AM
Bridgewater finishing the way they did was impressive.  Gotta feel for Guilford, lose on the interception to BW, lose on a FG at the gun vs H-SC.  Are any ODAC teams beside Ferrum getting their tenth game in this week? Ferrum vs. Averett in Danville on Saturday.  I think this is the second year in a row that AU is finishing the season during week one of the playoffs

Bridgewater is hosting N.C. Wesleyan on Saturday, making up their hurricane game.
TANSTAAFL

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on November 14, 2018, 12:47:55 PM
Bridgewater finishing the way they did was impressive.  Gotta feel for Guilford, lose on the interception to BW, lose on a FG at the gun vs H-SC.  Are any ODAC teams beside Ferrum getting their tenth game in this week? Ferrum vs. Averett in Danville on Saturday.  I think this is the second year in a row that AU is finishing the season during week one of the playoffs

Bridgewater is hosting N.C. Wesleyan on Saturday, making up their hurricane game.

I think everyone should just bowl it out and call it make up games...Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC), let's get all schools on board an pay $2,500 fee for all sports.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 14, 2018, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger74 on November 14, 2018, 12:47:55 PM

I think everyone should just bowl it out and call it make up games...Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC), let's get all schools on board an pay $2,500 fee for all sports.

The SCAC doesn't sponsor football and in order to get an exempt 11th game, you'd have to start a little earlier. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

Guilford was working on a Nov 17 game, but the seniors on the opposing team voted no on playing.

tigerFanAlso2

I don't blame the seniors for voting it down. Can't imagine playing a meaningless game this late.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on November 14, 2018, 04:58:19 PM
I don't blame the seniors for voting it down. Can't imagine playing a meaningless game this late.
It's not meaningless to players or teams with records within sight if they can play all ten games.

HSCTiger64

If you give me one more game as a senior I am taking it.  Meaningless or not give me one more time to suit up and play.  I'm getting up there now and could never step back on a field physically but I'd emotionally and mentally love it!