MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCHoopster

Quote from: john23 on December 07, 2015, 08:24:09 AM
Hi all, I've been a reader for a while but never made an account to post anything.

I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on with Bolen from Hood? Was having a pretty good start to the year but it looks like he got hurt early on against Albright and it didn't look like he was on the bench in their win over Widener on Saturday. Could be a pretty big blow for them if he's out for a significant amount of time, considering their replacements so far this year have seemed to be shaky at best. It'll be interesting to see if Ruiz and Hill can continue to make up for the loss offensively, but Hopefully they can get him back soon because they were looking good after their 4-0 start.

Just a side note, is there any reason why they don't play their two bigs(Wegener and Casey) together? I'm not really sure why a team that has trouble rebounding the ball would want to avoid having 6'8 and 6'6 on the floor at the same time, especially with the lackluster production they've been getting out of the rest of their bench to start the year. With Bolen out, or even to give guys a blow when he's back, they could have a back line on their zone of Wegener Casey and Magnuski, which are three of the longer and better rebounders in the conference. I'm not sure how that would work out offensively for them, but Wegener is a force inside and having the two of them together would certainly create matchup problems for everyone but Messiah and force teams to go zone and open things up for their stable of shooters from outside. Add onto that the offensive rebounding that you'll get from the way They both crash the glass and it just seems like it may not be out of the question to say that Hood is the favorite in the conference if everything comes together, but starting 3 freshmen(not that they don't need Wegener and Ruiz in there) may be a self-fulfilling prophecy for them. But it  doesn't really make sense to have Casey playing 14 minutes a game considering their needs and what  they're getting from the other guys they're playing off the bench and in place of Bolen. I'm not really sure how it would affect them logistically at this point, but it's a pretty big indictment of their new coach if he can't figure out a way to get them playing together.
The only reasons I could think of are maybe they don't want to move Wegener or Casey out of the middle of their zone, but Caseys looked pretty aggressive and mobile defensively in the few Hood games I've seen so far this year and I doubt that would be a problem, especially since they had Brown out there last year. Unless they're trying to limit his minutes early on in the year. I noticed he's been wearing a wrap on his left leg, so that may have something to do with it.

Bolen shattered his arm- could be career ending but definitely the season.

Hood wants to play a trapping style full court zone. The three bigs would make offense difficult to run offense and play in the full court on D.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Lycoming is about to run away with the conference. Historically the MACC has come down to the final week of play to see who wins it, but I think Lycoming starts to give themselves some breathing room as they are in cruise control after their disappointing loss to Widener a few weeks back. It has really sparked their engine.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

2015-16 Men's Basketball Standings-MAC Commonwealth

SCHOOL   CONF   CPCT.   OVERALL   PCT.   STREAK
Lycoming   6-2   0.750   14-3   0.824   W5
Arcadia   5-3   0.625   12-5   0.706   L1
Lebanon Valley   5-3   0.625   11-6   0.647   L2
Alvernia   5-3   0.625   9-8   0.529   W2
Stevenson   4-4   0.500   6-11   0.353   W1
Hood   3-5   0.375   9-8   0.529   L1
Widener   3-5   0.375   8-9   0.471   W3
Albright   3-5   0.375   6-11   0.353   L4
Messiah   2-6   0.250   5-12   0.294   W1

Jon

The Matrix has been reloaded.  We're up to speed for the rest of the 2015-16 regular season.

We're also up to speed on #Jonas reschedules with the two games played last night.  Only off nights from here out at the regularly scheduled byes.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Jon on February 02, 2016, 12:00:45 PM
The Matrix has been reloaded.  We're up to speed for the rest of the 2015-16 regular season.

We're also up to speed on #Jonas reschedules with the two games played last night.  Only off nights from here out at the regularly scheduled byes.

Great info thank you!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the third consecutive year, Hoopsville will air for 12 hours as the regular season enters the final four weeks. Dave McHugh will chat with coaches, administrators, student-athletes, and others involved in Division III basketball from around the country. Other guests will include those who have Division III roots or appreciate the division and the game along with the student-athletes who play the sport.

Hoopsville will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (and maybe later) on Thursday, February 4 live from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can see what guests are scheduled, get more information, and watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb4

You can also read the press release about the show: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/hoopsville-marathon-2016

Here is the guest list as we speak. All times are Eastern and subject to change. Additional guests to be added if and when necessary:

TimeGuestSchool
10:15amConnie TilleySt. Norbert (WBB) - WBCA Center Court
10:40amJamie PurdyPeidmont (WBB)
11:00amKeri CarolloUW-Whitewater (WBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
11:20amBrent PollariSaint Mary's (Minn.) (WBB)
11:40amKent MadsenNo. 21 Wheaton (Ill.) (WBB)
12:00pmRussell LoydRose-Hulman (MBB)
12:20pmKevin BroderickNazareth (MBB)
12:40pmJustin ScottArcadia (MBB)
1:00pmSam HargravesNo. 12 Alma (MBB)
1:20pmLenny ReichMount Union (SID)
1:40pmMaureen WebsterClarkson (WBB)
2:00pmBetsy WitmanYork (Pa.) (WBB)
2:20pmSara LeeDenison (WBB)
2:40pmKlay KneuppelWisconsin Lutheran (MBB)
3:00pmBrian Van HaaftenBuena Vista (MBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
3:30pmSydney MossNo. 1 Thomas More (WBB)
3:45pmAaron RousellBucknell (WBB) - former Chicago coach
4:00pmTim ShanahanStaten Island (WBB)
4:20Pat CunninghamTrinity (Texas) (MBB) - NABC Coach's Corner
4:50pmBubba SmithSewanee (MBB)
5:15pmBen StrongFormer Guilford All-American
5:30pmKevin ConnorsESPN SportsCenter Anchor - Ithaca alumnus
6:00pmKristen DowlingClaremont-Mudd-Scripps (WBB)
6:20pmAllison ColemanSage (WBB)
6:40pmLandry KosmalskiSwarthmore (MBB)
7:00pmDave NilandNo. 23 Penn State-Behrend (MBB)
7:20pmAaron GallettaLasell (MBB)
7:40pmJohn BaronGwynedd-Mercy (MBB)
8:00pm
8:20pm
8:40pmMelissa HodgdonWheaton (Mass.) (WBB)
9:00pmG.P. GromackiNo. 2 Amherst (WBB)
9:20pmJames Wagner
9:40pmHAPPY HOURFree-for-all of calls, tweets, and fun!

We hope to get at least the full show on a podcast, or several podcast, during the on Friday. You can find it here:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project has begun yet again. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered. If you can not donate, please don't worry about - we understand. At least share the campaign with anyone you think might be interested: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509

Also, if you know any advertisers interested in promoting their company or products on the show, send them our way: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jon

A few links of interest heading into the weekend...

The MATRIX is up to date.

Alvernia GAME NOTES for Saturday's big game at Lebanon Valley, which is a 2 p.m. start.

The MAC SCOREBOARD.

Jon

MATRIX uploaded through first two games today.

Lycoming 41, @ Arcadia 40 HALF
Messiah @ Albright 4:00 tip

Jon

One more MATRIX update today with all games complete.

Alvernia moves 2.5 games up on Arcadia in first place.  The fight for the playoffs looks to go down to the wire.

Jon

Any of the normal readers in here care to take a crack at first and second team All-Conference? Would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Jon

Passing along some links for tonight's games.

MAC Scoreboard
Albright @ Lycoming
Alvernia @ Arcadia
Hood @ Messiah
Lebanon Valley @ Stevenson
Widener OFF

Alvernia @ Arcadia Game Notes

lefty2

Jon,

Do you ever feel like you're talking to yourself?

The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

Jon

I have a certain level of confidence there at a minimum there are some readers.

I also have a hope that occasionally some lost soul happens upon the Mid-Atlantic Region page and sees the Commonwealth listed near the top for recent posts and pops their head in for a gander.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lefty2

Well, D-Mac just broke your string of consecutive posts.

With that, is he D-MAC Freedom or D-MAC Commonwealth?
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.