MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasdic

Here we go !!!!!!  Sweet Sixteen !!!!

Pat Coleman

D3hoopsNet, under contract from NCAAsports.com, will be broadcasting the entire Virginia Wesleyan sectional. Coverage starts a half-hour before tipoff and includes a preview of all four sectionals, plus in-game "live look-ins" at other sectionals in progress.

Pat Coleman and Dave McHugh on the call.

http://www.d3hoops.com/audio/
All D3hoopsNet games are broadcast by Broadcastmonsters.com.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Just a reminder, there's baseball and lacrosse discussions on the site now as well:

Freedom baseball: http://www.d3sports.com/post/index.php?topic=4362.0
Commonwealth baseball: http://www.d3sports.com/post/index.php?topic=4363.0
MAC men's lacrosse: http://www.d3sports.com/post/index.php?topic=4312.0
MAC women's lacrosse: http://www.d3sports.com/post/index.php?topic=4332.0

No reason the offseason has to be so painful. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

Here's an awesome story about a very inspirational kid who's at Widener.  Check it out.

chooch

rollingthunda

Time for another season of D3 basketball.  Per usual, this room hasnt been too active.  Unfortunately Etown has not yet put out a season preview but from my talks with the players, they have a pretty positive outlook on the season.  We did lose 3 key contributors from last years unexpected run into the Commonwealth playoffs however, they do have some very talented players returning.  Those expected to make major contributions will be Brian Goodwin, Luke Ledyard, Greg Brizek.  Also Chad Piersol and Mike Schatzmann look to build on their solid seasons from a year ago.  Piersol suffered a pretty ugly injury in the preason and may miss some time but that should allow some of the reserves to see valuable early season PT.  Others to look out for are Bryce Rodgers who should see a substantial role increase and needs to be effective down low, Kris Kieres and Rob Fusaro who both give Etown a legitimate outside threat.  This crew is hungry to make its own name after a 2 year absence from the Conference Championship game.  Get after it fellas!!!

I will be making the trek up to Etown this weekend to see their tip-off tourney.

Any news from around the conference?
Thunder

The name on the front of the Jersey is whole lot more important than the name on the back.

rollingthunda

Pre-season Coaches Poll has been released:

Commonwealth Conference Pre-season Men's Basketball Poll
1. Widener...........56 pts. (7)
2. Lebanon Valley....44 pts. (1)
3. Albright..........41 pts.
4. Messiah...........39 pts.
5. Elizabethtown.....32 pts.
6. Susquehanna.......31 pts.
7. Juniata...........23 pts.
8. Moravian..........22 pts.

Hopefully this board picks up once the games start.  What year are teams going to start defecting from the conference?  Word is Etown got an invitation to the Landmark Conference, but that offer got pulled, leaving the people at Etown a bit upset.  Can anyone offer any insight into this situation?
Thunder

The name on the front of the Jersey is whole lot more important than the name on the back.

chooch

I believe Scranton joined the landmark conference as the final member

TheGrove

Etown and Scranton were under consideration; Scranton got the nod.

rollingthunda

Etown finally released the season preview:

http://www2.etown.edu/sports/mbasket/preview.asp

I didn't realize it but nationally 5th ranked Ohio Northern is participating in the tip-off tourney this weekend in Etown, along with a DeSales team that plays hard anually, and Penn State-Harrisburg.  It should be a good 2 game test to start the season for the Blue Jays.

Grove and chooch, thanks for the info on the conference change.
Thunder

njlincolnlion

Lincoln & Widener should be a early test for both teams.  Both squads make the sweet 16, but I think Lincoln was in the toughest bracket loosing to the eventual champ VA Wesleyan by one in their building.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

Matt Letourneau

The CAC put the MAC Commonwealth down pretty good this weekend, with Mary Washington beating Messiah and future Landmarker Catholic coming from down 11 with 8:30 to go to beat Albright at Albright.  If its any consolation to you MAC guys, the CAC is very strong this year.

Reserved Seat

What happen to Widener at F&M?
It was ugly.

rollingthunda

Quote from: Matt Letourneau on November 19, 2006, 02:25:21 AM
If its any consolation to you MAC guys, the CAC is very strong this year.

I know I personally could give a hot stinky fart how your teams do over in the CAC in relativity to the MAC, especially after the first weekend.

After watching the weekend of games in Etown this weekend, I was pleased to see a talented, and what I believe will be an underrated Etown team.  They blew a terrible Penn State Harrisburg team out of the water Friday night and help their own all game Saturday against #5 Ohio Northern before succoming to a late run and ultimately losing by 16.  Etown has a solid core of players that have varsity experience.  They are also missing starter Chad Piersol at the moment and Billy Orr saw limited minutes, I believe because he is still trying to get back from injury.  When those 2 get to full strength and are back in the rotation, I think Etown could cause many of the Commonwealth teams a lot of problems.

One last positive that I saw was Etown playing 2 very talented freshmen major minutes, which usually is not the norm for that program.  Church is the real deal and will only get better as he gets tougher and more comfortable with the system.

How can SusQ have a guy drop 50 and not have anyone on here letting us know about it?
Thunder

TheGrove

Quote from: rollingthunda on November 21, 2006, 05:58:36 PM
How can SusQ have a guy drop 50 and not have anyone on here letting us know about it?

52, actually. He also got Commonwealth POTW for that performance.

I'm just sitting back and watching for now. I mean, they looked pretty unbelievable Friday night against Penn College (SEVENTY-FIVE POINTS in the first HALF! :o), but the season is young. Keep your eye on these guys though, I think they're going to surprise people.