Request - NCAA D3 Tournament First Round Locations

Started by Ben Stein Fan, March 02, 2016, 04:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Stein Fan

I am working in Ashland, OH this week and would like to see some tournament action.  I live in Georgia, so I am not familiar with many of the colleges and universities in NE Ohio.  Is any school within an hour drive hosting first round games?  If so, could you please let me know.  If there is more than one site, who would you recommend that I go see?

Thanks!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ben Stein Fan on March 02, 2016, 04:44:02 PM
I am working in Ashland, OH this week and would like to see some tournament action.  I live in Georgia, so I am not familiar with many of the colleges and universities in NE Ohio.  Is any school within an hour drive hosting first round games?  If so, could you please let me know.  If there is more than one site, who would you recommend that I go see?

Thanks!

John Carroll, in the Cleveland suburbs, is by far your closest option. Marietta is a little further (and will sell out).
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

According to Google Maps, it's an hour and 17 minutes from Ashland to University Heights (the Cleveland suburb where John Carroll is located) via I-71 and I-271.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Good Grief... I'm normally the last person in the world to steer someone away from D3... BUT.. Gulp, I hate to suggest...

Ashland University is hosting the GLIAC men's and women's semis on Saturday and Sunday... the GLIAC is one of the top D2 conferences in the country... this could be an opportunity to be within minutes of seeing some very good college hoops.. and it's NOT D1.... 
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

ronk

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2016, 06:15:05 PM
According to Google Maps, it's an hour and 17 minutes from Ashland to University Heights (the Cleveland suburb where John Carroll is located) via I-71 and I-271.

According to Mapquest, it's 1:13 hours(66 mi) from Ashland, Oh to Delaware,Oh(Ohio Wesleyan) to see All-American Brendan Boken(he's worth it) and Scranton vs Lynchburg and Pitt-Greensburg and Ohio Wesleyan.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on March 02, 2016, 06:27:20 PM
Good Grief... I'm normally the last person in the world to steer someone away from D3... BUT.. Gulp, I hate to suggest...

Ashland University is hosting the GLIAC men's and women's semis on Saturday and Sunday... the GLIAC is one of the top D2 conferences in the country... this could be an opportunity to be within minutes of seeing some very good college hoops.. and it's NOT D1....

Can someone PLEASE ban hopefan from these boards... permanently! ROFL ;) /sarcasm
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2016, 06:55:01 PM

BRING BACK COLEMAN!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Can someone PLEASE ban hopefan from these boards... permanently! ROFL ;) /sarcasm
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

David Collinge

Both JCU and OWU play in bandboxes, both funky in their own ways. I'd guess both gyms will be close to empty for the first game Friday, and sold out for the second, although there might be some wiggle room at OWU.

sac

There have been some major upsets in the GLIAC Tournament with the #1 seeded Saginaw Valley St, #3 seeded Findley, and 4th seeded Lake Superior State going down to defeat.

The remaining semi-finals are   #2 Ashland vs #6 Ferris State  #8 Walsh vs #5 Hillsdale

If you want a D3 connection the Hillsdale coach John Tharpe was the coach at Lawrence.

iwumichigander

What is this - the D2 Board?  I was looking for the D1 Board! McHuge(h)!
Oh Mann, Coleman has been gone what 3-4 days?  What other boards will be created?

iwumichigander

Quote from: sac on March 02, 2016, 07:30:09 PM

There have been some major upsets in the GLIAC Tournament with the #1 seeded Saginaw Valley St, #3 seeded Findley, and 4th seeded Lake Superior State going down to defeat.

The remaining semi-finals are   #2 Ashland vs #6 Ferris State  #8 Walsh vs #5 Hillsdale

If you want a D3 connection the Hillsdale coach John Tharpe was the coach at Lawrence.
Oh no, now you will get Appleton Rocks posting here :)

Ben Stein Fan

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.  Looks like I will be heading up to John Carroll.  I will have my iphone fully charged so I can watch LaGrange College play online while watching the first game at JC.

David Collinge

Be sure to bring your sunglasses and lead-lined blast suit, as the D3 Championship BeltTM will be in the house.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: iwumichigander on March 02, 2016, 07:44:03 PM
Oh Mann, Coleman has been gone what 3-4 days?  What other boards will be created?

I'm not going away yet. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 03, 2016, 12:21:41 AM
Quote from: iwumichigander on March 02, 2016, 07:44:03 PM

I'm not going away yet. :)
+1!