Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 28, 2018, 01:09:44 PM
It wasn't the result I'd hoped for, but it was a great game.  Final score: 11-9, but it really wasn't that close for much of the second half.  Gettysburg's defense stymied the Panther offense throughout game and there was no stopping Liza Barr who owned five of the eleven Bullet tallies.  There should be a rule against the Bullets' GK Bailey Pilder.  Are we absolutely certain she's not a senior?

Barr had a career high five goals ... in the championship game ... as a senior ... her final game. Talk about a hell of a way to go out (didn't have the career note in front of me, sadly).

Sorry, Pilder is around for another year. Rules are rules and none have come out to limit her. LOL

I believe today's win pushes winning HC Carol Cantele past Missy Foote on the wlax career victories list.  Second place in DIII and third place overall?  Regardless, congratulations to the longtime Bullet mentor who obviously has a few more winning seasons in mind.

It does push her to third all-time behind Pfulger (514), who Midd beat to get to the title game, and Navy's Cindy Timchal (509). 423 win's ain't bad.. but nearly 100 behind the two leaders is insane.

Winning their second consecutive championship the Bullets become the fourth team in the history of DIII wlax to have done so.  The others?  The rest of this season's final four.

The fire power and history at the final four this weekend was insane. Didn't feel we had time to get into it all, though we could have if we were on air for the entirety of the delays on Sunday. ROFL)

Thanks to Dave McHugh and Monika Moore for their excellent commentary.  Their knowledge of the game and a sense of when to explain as well as simply report the action on the field makes it so much easier to appreciate and understand.  And thanks for sticking around an extra day. ;)

Kind words to be sure. Thank you. Monika knows her stuff and I love leaving aspects of the coverage in her hands. We have worked together for a number of years, though certainly less frequently in the last five years, and she always has done her homework and is prepared for nearly anything. Glad our balance worked. You never know sometimes. I think I have a better sense than Monika that people are still learning the game or tuning in with no knowledge (not a knock on Monika, it is always on my mind), so I try and find the right time to get things in. That said, the games were so well played that it also allowed us to focus on the games than the nuisances most of the time.

Glad you enjoyed. And while it wasn't ideal, we were both happy to stick around another day - just wish the traffic on I-81 heading north could have been more cooperative. (It was brutal to say the least.) I didn't really want to handoff that final game with those two teams (no matter who was in the game it was going to be epic). I am just glad I could make arrangements that allowed me to stay easily (and those who hire us being so accommodating and helpful to make it work out).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 27, 2018, 08:25:59 PM
Pictures and film of Ellicott City, MD are heartrending.

It is horrible. Twice in two years ... and this time even worse. There is a lot going on in that location that has caused this flooding (some of it natural, most of it now human error)... but this area has also gotten a lot of bad flooding in the last two weeks in general. Frederick experienced 6+ inches of rain in two hours last week ... did unreal damage.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

MUC57

Dave McHugh

My two cents worth. I really enjoyed watching AND listening. Although I have been following Mount Union for 5 years, I'm still learning many of the facets of this great sport. Your broadcast was certainly helpful to me in better understanding some of the nuances of the game. Listening to you could probably bring more fans to lacrosse. Between you and my NCAA rule book, I'll be able to understand more of what's happening.
Keep up the good work. Maybe some day, you'll get to do a Purple Raider game. Thanks!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: MUC57 on May 29, 2018, 02:47:40 PM
Dave McHugh

My two cents worth. I really enjoyed watching AND listening. Although I have been following Mount Union for 5 years, I'm still learning many of the facets of this great sport. Your broadcast was certainly helpful to me in better understanding some of the nuances of the game. Listening to you could probably bring more fans to lacrosse. Between you and my NCAA rule book, I'll be able to understand more of what's happening.
Keep up the good work. Maybe some day, you'll get to do a Purple Raider game. Thanks!

I appreciate it. May I use this in my efforts to find more work? Those looking to hire (or me convince) could use reading this. LOL

And my twitter haters... oh never mind, they couldn't stand my kind responses to them. LOL

MUC57

Dave McHugh

You deserve all the accolades you get. Good stuff. Yes, please feel free to use my post any way you wish. Do I then get 10 % of your salary? Or at least a finders fee? Not too worry, we'll work it out!
And since we haven't chatted before, I must alert you to something the OAC board, and others, already know - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things!
Good luck in the future. ☠🍻

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: MUC57 on May 30, 2018, 03:18:31 PM

Dave McHugh

You deserve all the accolades you get. Good stuff. Yes, please feel free to use my post any way you wish. Do I then get 10 % of your salary? Or at least a finders fee? Not too worry, we'll work it out!
And since we haven't chatted before, I must alert you to something the OAC board, and others, already know - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things!
Good luck in the future. ☠🍻

Thanks again. If you really want 10% of basically nothing, we can figure it out. LOL

And I think we have chatted before. I know the username. :)

I am getting old to be sure. LOL

MUC57

Dave McHugh

So we have chatted before. I told you, I forget things. You're old? This is my 61st anniversary of graduating from dear old MUC. Now that's old. But I've got my health (at least most of it).
Later and may all your microphones be static free. (I couldn't think of anything clever to say).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am not old, per se, I've just been feeling pretty old for more than a year (or more) now. :) Need to get back in shape... badly.

And I love that thought... may your microphones be static free. Good one. May steal that.

Ron Boerger

Just now noticed this ... the SCAC is bringing back lacrosse as a conference sport, though only four schools will initially offer women's lacrosse, five men's. 

https://www.scacsports.com/news/scac_announces_2018-19_updates

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Great to hear, despite the non-AQ situation. :)

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think we finally can have men's lacrosse get off it's ass about two regions ... thanks to the rest of the division forcing them there: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-championships-committee-supports-regional-realignment?division=d3

This isn't set in stone, there are some more hurdles to go through. However, I don't see a reason this won't pass.

We hopefully will have a guest on Hoopsville Thursday evening to talk more about this.

MUC57

Glad to see lacrosse season starting. I especially enjoy watching the Mount Union women's team. They were 17-0 last year in the regular season. Just can't get by the power of the Eastern teams. Maybe some day. And they have won 5 consecutive OAC championships while being picked to win it this year. They open tomorrow against Rhodes and play Illinois Wesleyan on Saturday. Both games are in Louisville, Kentucky.
I look forward to chatting with other posters as I learn more about this great sport.
Good luck to all the teams on an injury-free season.  ;D

MUC57

The Mount Union women opened their season with a 9-7 win over Rhodes on Friday and a 11-9 loss to Illinois Wesleyan yesterday. Next game is against Fredonia next Saturday at home.
I see Gettysburg is the pre-season number one pick. After all, they are defending national champions. The pre-season poll looks like the Dlll football poll in that I see the same teams every year. Except for the last four, all are east of Alliance. Damn, those East teams are tough.
In any case, I really enjoy watching the games. I would like to see more people come out. It's such a great sport.
Would love to hear from some more fans. Go Everybody!   ;D

ephoops

I hear that the Eph women's lacrosse team will be hosting a scrimmage on Saturday at Farley-Lamb Field.  Middlebury and Endicott will participate.  I also heard a D-II school will participate as well.

It will be interesting to see how the Ephs are progressing under 2nd year HC Alice Lee.  I believe she has the program heading in the right direction.