MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bball1122

Quote from: miacmaniac on January 29, 2018, 09:49:09 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 29, 2018, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: faunch on January 27, 2018, 04:35:14 PM
Beautiful technical by the the BU coach...scroll ahead to the 1:44:00 mark.
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/bethel/portal.htm?eventId=361174&streamType=video

Ha!

I'm really not sure what he was so upset about?  The Johnnie defender (Alade?) did a nice job of cutting off the sideline, and Jenson tried to go there anyway and stepped out of bounds.  Could be that he was actually just upset about Jenson not executing what he was supposed to do and it boiled over?

Super tough loss.  They seemed to have it wrapped up under 4 minutes, but SJU didn't clock out, which is a testament to their team this year.  I'm disappointed that BU didn't close for sure, but also encouraged that they were able to have such a strong Johnnie team on the ropes for pretty much the entire game.  My hope would be that they learned that there is no such thing as coasting to the finish line when you've got the opportunity to beat a quality team.  Crazy how the tightly grouped nature of 2-7 coming into Saturday caused Bethel to drop from 2nd to 5th with one loss.

8 more to go for an undefeated MIAC run for SJU!  If not for dropping the third game of the year to Lacrosse, they'd be looking at an undefeated regular season.
It is damn hard to run the MIAC. In fact, it has only been done twice in the 20-game era.  And I'm confident it will still only have happened twice by the end of this season.

I also see now why SMU lost to MAC.  They went nearly 10 minutes tonight without a point and scored all of 6 points in the first 12:39 of the second half.

The Tommies opened the second half on a 50-8 run.  Ouch.   The bottom of the league is as bad as I can remember this year.  GAC at Carleton Wednesday is a huge one.  I think SJU, STO, AUGS, BET, and UST are all in the playoffs, given their record and who they play.  Last spot comes down to GAC or CAR, and neither is playing that well right now (CAR 4-7 in their last 11, GAC has lost 4 of 5). 

I think the Johnnies can run the table, but it won't be easy.  They've only played 6 games with a single digit margin all year (W over SCSU, loss to LAX, 2 W's over Hamline, W over Carleton, miracle W over BET).  They blew out Olaf the first time, go to Saint Mary's, who they haven't lost to in a lifetime, get Auggie and Carleton at home, and then finish with two tough road games at GAC and UST.

Finally, UST is starting to look like a team that could make a run.  Full court pressure is being cranked up, Davis and Bair look tough in the post, and their length everywhere is a problem.   Would not want to play them down the stretch.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: bball1122 on January 30, 2018, 02:08:28 PM
I think the Johnnies can run the table, but it won't be easy.  They've only played 6 games with a single digit margin all year (W over SCSU, loss to LAX, 2 W's over Hamline, W over Carleton, miracle W over BET).  They blew out Olaf the first time, go to Saint Mary's, who they haven't lost to in a lifetime, get Auggie and Carleton at home, and then finish with two tough road games at GAC and UST.

Finally, UST is starting to look like a team that could make a run.  Full court pressure is being cranked up, Davis and Bair look tough in the post, and their length everywhere is a problem.   Would not want to play them down the stretch.
from the SMU recordbook
Jan. 22, 20017--- Saint John's W, 66-63      (that's a short lifetime ;))

FWIW....last night was the 60th consecutive win for UST over SMU (OK, now THAT is a lifetime!)

I see SJU finishing 18-2, hosting the first weekend...and if they advance from that pod, either hosting the Sweet 16 weekend or being hosed by the NCAA and sent to Whitewater
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

bball1122

Quote from: miacmaniac on January 30, 2018, 10:14:17 PM

from the SMU recordbook

FWIW....last night was the 60th consecutive win for UST over SMU (OK, now THAT is a lifetime!)

I see SJU finishing 18-2, hosting the first weekend...and if they advance from that pod, either hosting the Sweet 16 weekend or being hosed by the NCAA and sent to Whitewater

Had a hard time finding the year 20017 in the record books.  You're right.  11 years isn't much of a lifetime, but it's still a long time to go without a win at home against any conference opponent. Also, SMU has lost 50 straight at SJU.   All in all, I don't foresee a Johnnie loss in Winona. 

Smitty Oom

Quote from: miacmaniac on January 30, 2018, 10:14:17 PM

from the SMU recordbook

I don't think that Whitewater will be on the short list to host a sweet 16 weekend. They don't have any solid wins in non-conference and keep taking Ls in conference. Also, if I remember correctly, the second pod is almost more about geography of remaining teams than anything else.

If the Johnnies do finish 5-2 in the regular season (I doubt it but they do have some tough games remaining) and then don't win the AQ, they might not host. They don't have a great SOS, their best win against scsu isn't primary criteria and no other big win in non-conference. Depending on how many miac teams make the regional rankings they could have a solid record vs. regionally ranked opponents.

I am with bball1122 on the outlook of the playoffs currently. Olaf's win over Carleton on Monday was a big one for Olaf and their playoff outlook/seeding.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

St. John's may not host the second weekend because of geography, but it isn't impossible. UST has gone on the road several times when they may have been the better ranked team. Too many factors like upsets that shift the 500-mile radius with the teams remaining in the pod. SJU will certainly be in a good shape if they keep going like they are going, but fans need to be prepared for not being at home that second weekend.

As for UWW, I think their situation does make it harder to host the second weekend for reasons stated, however they are most in a position to be a good place to go inside the 500-mile radius for all the teams involved. That all said, we will get our first hint of what is going on next week.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AO

Pretty exciting times for the Johnnies considering they've never won 2 games in the tourney before.  They did get to the sweet 16 in 2001 but had a first round bye.

bballfan247365

Interesting Thoughts......

Some may argue that instead of the bottom of the league "being the worst in years" that this year might be the best the league has been from top to bottom in some years.

While not having Gutierrez and Salvino's experience - the sure numbers of freshman Mac is playing cannot survive the skill level and physicalness of the league this year (not to mention the new "system" :o).

Could say the same about the Redbirds.  No Cave, Gleason or Meitz all season - plus being lead in many categories by 3 freshmen and a sophomore is a recipe for a long year.   :'(

Would also think this argument holds water to why the Pipers who made the playoffs last year and returned everyone would have to run the table and still have help to make the playoffs this year - NOT TO MENTION - why the untouchable Tommies are sitting with FIVE conferences losses and a need to play very well down the stretch to make the conference playoffs...

Wonder how many lifetimes it has been since that has happened???  ???

I'll hang up and listen.  ;D

As long as people continue to believe that anyone can coach - They will also continue to believe that anyone can criticize a coach.

Drake Palmer

Nice to see the board buzzing along.

I watched most of the second half of the STO Bethel game which the Oles won 75-68.  Tough ballgame. Surprise of the game was the offensive output from FY PG Dom Bledsoe who ended up with 16 pts, and 2 assists. Mr. dirty socks guy, Robert Tobroxen  - 2 reb, 5 assists, 2 blks, 2 stls, also hit a couple of clutch treys when Bethel was making a late push.

Bethel seemed to struggle in their offense and had a difficult time running the ball through big man Derek Magnuson, but that could have been due in part to the Oles' lanky, athletic bigs.

Big showdown on Saturday when the Jays go to Northfield to take on second place STO.  That game might be worth making the drive to Northfield.

Mose might hate to hear this, but the Oles personnel looks a bit like UST's.  :D Tall, athletic wings/forwards, nice PG play, feisty 2G (Nate Albers).  But I don't know if the Oles have a guard quick enough to stay in front of SJUs' David Stokman. Also, Tobroxen, & Austin Korba are going to have a big challenge with Lucas Walford and Tyler Weiss. Walford & Weiss are arguably the top front court tandem in the league, with Carleton's Kevin Grow & Kent Hanson not far behind.  Then again, the Oles might point to Monday's score when the Oles knocked off Carleton behind the efforts of Korba, Tobroxen, & Albers.   

What's happening with the Pipers?  They got drilled by Augsburg tonight – 80 -60.
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

txg

Quote from: Drake Palmer on January 31, 2018, 10:24:38 PM
Surprise of the game was the offensive output from FY PG Dom Bledsoe who ended up with 16 pts, and 2 assists.

And zero turnovers in 34 minutes.  He has been integral to this late season push.

The Oles were clearly tired from their third game in five days, and turned it over a lot.  But they battled and got shots when they needed them.

bball1122

Quote from: bballfan247365 on January 31, 2018, 07:13:59 PM
Interesting Thoughts......

Some may argue that instead of the bottom of the league "being the worst in years" that this year might be the best the league has been from top to bottom in some years.

While not having Gutierrez and Salvino's experience - the sure numbers of freshman Mac is playing cannot survive the skill level and physicalness of the league this year (not to mention the new "system" :o).

Could say the same about the Redbirds.  No Cave, Gleason or Meitz all season - plus being lead in many categories by 3 freshmen and a sophomore is a recipe for a long year.   :'(

Would also think this argument holds water to why the Pipers who made the playoffs last year and returned everyone would have to run the table and still have help to make the playoffs this year - NOT TO MENTION - why the untouchable Tommies are sitting with FIVE conferences losses and a need to play very well down the stretch to make the conference playoffs...

Wonder how many lifetimes it has been since that has happened???  ???

I'll hang up and listen.  ;D

I cannot imagine anyone who would make such an argument if they have seen every team play.   Both SMU and MAC have point differentials of over -25 PPG in conference play.  It doesn't take a PhD in basketball to figure out how bad that is.  MAC changed their entire system MID-SEASON because they weren't going to be good enough to compete playing traditionally.  SMU has started out 8 games down 7-0 or worse.  I've seen both teams, and yes, injuries have definitely taken their toll, especially the loss of Gutierrez for MAC, but unfortunately, I'm commenting on the teams that take the floor, and they are just not good.  Combined, they've played 28 conference games, won 1 (against the other), and have played 2 games within single digits of their opponents TOTAL.  I do not remember two teams being this non-competitive in a long time. 

Now, do I think the top 7 are tough?  I do, but I don't think they're significantly tougher than other years.  I do think that SJU is in a class by themselves this year as a big time team.  Olaf has been better than I expected, Augsburg is solid, UST is young but coming together and looking like a tough out, Bethel has underperformed but is still very talented, Carleton is good defensively but flawed as I discussed earlier, and GAC is falling back to Earth a bit in the second run through the league.  All in all, I think it's about what the top 6/7 usually look like, maybe a little better, but not significantly, but the bottom....is baaaaaaad.

Smitty Oom

I must admit I have been sleeping on the Oles all season, but they keep winning and now are all alone in second place. Good for them and Coach Koz, and sorry for not believing in you earlier.

St. John's is the best team we have seen in the MIAC since UST won the national championship in '16. I had a lurker of the boards ask me a fun hypothetical... SJU '18 vs UST '16 (-5) at a neutral court, who are you guys taking?

Lastly, I still think that the top of the league this year (minus SJU) is not quite as good as the past couple years. Not to take anything away from the teams this year but  lets take Olaf for example. Their past teams that won the MIAC playoffs (and in second place in the regular season, like this year) with Connor Gunderson, Sterling Neilsen, Riley Aeikens, Justin Pahl and Ben Figini were much more talented than this years team. In fact they made it to the sweet 16 that year ('13-14), and UST was a very solid team that year as well as All-American Dan Kornbaum and his Auggies were another top team that could have done damage in the NCAAs. With that being said, the middle pack this year could be better this year, since I really do believe any team can go down on any night. Thus, should be a fun playoffs!

Drake Palmer

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 01, 2018, 10:31:35 AM
I must admit I have been sleeping on the Oles all season, but they keep winning and now are all alone in second place. Good for them and Coach Koz, and sorry for not believing in you earlier.

St. John's is the best team we have seen in the MIAC since UST won the national championship in '16. I had a lurker of the boards ask me a fun hypothetical... SJU '18 vs UST '16 (-5) at a neutral court, who are you guys taking?

Lastly, I still think that the top of the league this year (minus SJU) is not quite as good as the past couple years. Not to take anything away from the teams this year but  lets take Olaf for example. Their past teams that won the MIAC playoffs (and in second place in the regular season, like this year) with Connor Gunderson, Sterling Neilsen, Riley Aeikens, Justin Pahl and Ben Figini were much more talented than this years team. In fact they made it to the sweet 16 that year ('13-14), and UST was a very solid team that year as well as All-American Dan Kornbaum and his Auggies were another top team that could have done damage in the NCAAs. With that being said, the middle pack this year could be better this year, since I really do believe any team can go down on any night. Thus, should be a fun playoffs!

Smitty, you brought up some good memories of the STO teams from the recent past, but I think your personnel grouping, and the STO sweet 16 year is incorrect.  If the stats are correct, Connor Gunderson finished his career at St. Olaf in 2014, and Ben Figini transferred in and played during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.  Figini played with that talented core of guys you mentioned, and they advanced to to the sweet 16 in 2015 season. The Oles lost in the second round of the NCAA in the 2016 season. Having said that, Coach Koz and the Oles have had a nice little run the past 3-4 years.

2014-2015 STO stats
http://stolaf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/statistics/basketball-men/2014-15/teamstat.htm

2015-2016 STO stats
http://stolaf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/statistics/basketball-men/2015-16/teamstat.htm

I'd take the '18 Jays over the '16 Tommies in the MIAC playoffs, and take UST over the Jays at the big dance.  :)

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

gordonmann

bball1122

Here's how I see the top 7 finishing out the year:

Saint John's:

@STO - W
@SMU - W
CAR  -   W
AUG  -   W
@GAC - W
@UST - W

20-0

Saint Olaf:

SJU   -   L
@AUG - L
UST   -  L
@CAR -  L
CORD -  W

12 - 8

Augsburg:

@CORD - W
STO    -   W
UST    -   L
@SJU   -  L
MAC    -   W

13-7

Saint Thomas:

CAR    -   W
@AUG -   W
@STO  -  W
SMU    -   W
SJU     -    L

14 - 6

Carleton:

MAC   -   W
@UST -   L
@SJU   -  L
CORD  -   W
STO    -   W
@BET  -   L

12-8

Bethel:

SMU   -   W
HAM   -   W
@GAC  -  L
@MAC  - W
CAR   -   W

13 - 7

Gustavus:

@HAM   -  L
@CORD  - W
MAC    -    W
BET    -     W
SJU   -      L

11 - 9

If that holds true (I'm certain it won't), the final standings would be:

SJU 20-0
UST 14-6
AUG 13-7
BET 13-7
STO 12-8
CAR 12-8

GAC 11-7

Gustavus' two losses to Carleton are going to be really tough for them to overcome.

txg

Oles knock off Johnnies 75-62.  If you had told me St Olaf would win this game without a single 3-pointer from Korba or Albers, I would not have believed it.  Quite a game.