BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 16, 2006, 06:18:32 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 16, 2006, 03:23:56 PM
Yeah, and that is like the old joke.

"Do you what they call the guy who graduated last in his class in medical school?"

"Doctor!" :D  ;D  ;)

That's not from personal experience, right? :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

You are correct!  It is not from personal experience!  But I know who he was! ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D ;D

Just Bill

April 13-14
UW-Oshkosh 6, UW-La Crosse 1
UW-La Crosse 7, UW-Oshkosh 1
UW-Oshkosh 8, UW-La Crosse 6
UW-Oshkosh 11, UW-La Crosse 9

UW-Stout 18, UW-Superior 4 (7 innings)
UW-Stout 9, UW-Superior 1
UW-Stout 13, UW-Superior 4
UW-Stout 11, UW-Superior 4

UW-Whitewater 12, UW-Platteville 2 (7 innings)
UW-Whitewater 9, UW-Platteville 3
UW-Platteville 14, UW-Whitewater 13
UW-Whitewater 11, UW-Platteville 5

Standings
OSH   8-2
WW   8-2
SP      6-3
LC      7-7
ST      7-7
PLT    5-8
SUP   0-12
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

voice

Titan2000

I also talked to the same folks at last Spring's NCAA III Championship Tournament in Appleton.  They all seemed to be Oshkosh players that didn't seem to have what it takes again last year to get to the D-3 World Series. 

cubs

Quote from: voice on April 17, 2006, 01:37:28 PM
I also talked to the same folks at last Spring's NCAA III Championship Tournament in Appleton.  They all seemed to be Oshkosh players that didn't seem to have what it takes again last year to get to the D-3 World Series. 
I find that hard to believe, because outside of Jirschele, Yost and Huffman, there wasn't a whole lot of talent on that team.  There is a reason why there are only a couple players from last years team on this years roster (Schwebke, Shere, Burgert, Hubacek, and Arrowood.)  There are also only maybe 2? pitchers (Ziegler and Bolton) who threw more than 20 innings last season on this years roster.

If you know anything about Lechnir, he hates losing, so if the players he had last season weren't good enough to get it done, he was going to find a differnet group of players.  There is a reason that there have been 6 freshman in the starting line-up at times this season, and a total of 8 freshman have started.

Voice-
As far as a Whitewater fan taking a "shot" at an opposing team, you would have been one of the last people I thought it would come from (along with Badgerwarhawk.)  Whether you like the program or not, it's hard to argue with what Lechnir has done at Oshkosh.  I can remember not too long ago when Whitewater was struggling to finish over .500 (1999 at 20-20, 2002 at 21-19.)  There has been one time in the last 15 years where Oshkosh hasn't finished 10 games over .500 (2002.)  Sure it is easy to forget about history when your school is coming off a National Championship, but as the saying goes, "It's easier to get to the top then it is staying there."  I have a feeling when everything is said and done, you won't see Whitewater at the top of the conference (much less Region or Nation) in what I would consider a VERY WEAK Baseball Conference this year.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on April 17, 2006, 02:20:19 PM
Quote from: voice on April 17, 2006, 01:37:28 PM
Whether you like the program or not, it's hard to argue with what Lechnir has done at Oshkosh.  I can remember not too long ago when Whitewater was struggling to finish over .500 (1999 at 20-20, 2002 at 21-19.)  There has been one time in the last 15 years where Oshkosh hasn't finished 10 games over .500 (2002.)  Sure it is easy to forget about history when your school is coming off a National Championship, but as the saying goes, "It's easier to get to the top then it is staying there."  I have a feeling when everything is said and done, you won't see Whitewater at the top of the conference (much less Region or Nation) in what I would consider a VERY WEAK Baseball Conference this year.

Well said, Cubs. The empty can rattles the most.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

voice

Actually I have great respect for the UWO baseball program. As you put it succinctly, the Titans record speaks for itself.
Titan2000's comment about UW-Whitewater being one of the weakest D3 champions in several years was uncalled for and obviously posted prior to the two teams squaring off on Wednesday in Oshkosh. 

On another subject... having the WIAC postseason tournament at a neutral site. the pressure of getting home field advantage isn't a factor now.  In a short season, having to win against the "big dogs" was always an intriguing part of the WIAC baseball regular season.

BigPoppa

Where is the WIAC tourney this season... still in Rapids? or does it move around from place to place?

voice

Just Bill

As I understood it, the tournament in Wisconsin Rapids was a two-year trial (2006 being the second year).  After this year they will re-evaluate and either stick with Rapids, return it to conference champions home, or (I guess) see if another "neutral" community wants it.  If I was a betting man, I'd put down a small wager that it stays in Rapids for at least a couple more years.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

The great thing about Rapids, other than the field, is that it is centrally located in the state. I would actually like to see it moved to Appleton. It has a great venue and it could do wonders for the recruiting of the WIAC schools. More prospective players could see it in Appleton than Rapids as Appleton hasa much bigger "metropolitan" population with the Fox Cities than Rapids does being surrounded by farm communities.

cubs

Quote from: voice on April 17, 2006, 04:07:24 PM
Titan2000's comment about UW-Whitewater being one of the weakest D3 champions in several years was uncalled for and obviously posted prior to the two teams squaring off on Wednesday in Oshkosh. 
Shouldn't we all know by now that titan2000's words should be taken with a grain of salt?  This is the guy that says he likes to see Oshkosh win but is the first one to kick them after a loss. ::)
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS[/color] warm up for the Titan with a pair of wins over Lawrence to improve to 17-7 on the season.   

Trailing 2-1 in the eighth inning of game two the WARHAWKS[/color] got a huge break when a passed ball on a strikeout extended the inning allowing Jordan Stine to drive in the tying run and Mike Jacobson to follow two batters later with the winner, 3-2.  Five pitchers took the mound with none pitching over two innings.

Game one was easier as the WARHAWKS[/color] plated four runs in their first at bat and added a fifth before Lawrence got on the board.  The WARHAWKS[/color] added four more runs before the end for a 9-1 win.  Five pitchers combined to pitch a 5 hitter.

I have heard that at least two other Wisconsin communities were interested in hosting the WIAC tournament, Wausau and Appleton.

"Just think twice is my only advice."

1_For_27

Can I get a whitewater vs. slopgosh update?

Just Bill

Oshkosh's web site says the first game went to Whitewater 7-4.  Second game not in yet.

Elsewhere, SP sweeps Stout 1-0 and 7-5.

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS[/color] and Titan split a pair of 9-4 games.  WHITEWATER[/color] jumps on top 5-1 in game one goes on to get 13 hits and four Titan errors in the easy win.  Adam Dominick goes 5 innings, gives up a single run and gets the win.    Jason Rutz goes 3-5 with 2 RBIs and Greg Harder goes 3-6 with  2 RBIs to lead the HAWKS[/color].

Game two is the opposite.  The Titan jump on top 9-0 in the first five innings before the WARHAWKS[/color] get 2 runs in the sixth and ninth for the final.  Adam Roos goes 9 full for Oshkosh surrendering 8 hits.  Matt Schliewe goes 2-4 with an RBI to pace WHITEWATER[/color] offensively.

WHITEWATER[/color] ends the day 9-3, 18-8.  Oshkosh 9-3, 17-7.  The two teams split the regular season series. 

Big, big weekend coming up with the Pointer in town.
"Just think twice is my only advice."