BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaseballFan

Well I will keep the cat in the bag, but I am from the Duluth area so I know the area players well and know your high school team had a great rotation with you, Ritsche and Erickson. I was involved with a d3 program so I know the wiac, umac, and miac pretty well.

I hope you guys have a good year and can make your way up the wiac standings some

Just Bill

Whitewater kicked off the season last night, sweeping Edgewood College 4-3 (8 inn.) and 10-4 at the Metrodome.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

OshDude

Quote from: Just Bill on March 02, 2008, 12:40:49 AM
Whitewater kicked off the season last night, sweeping Edgewood College 4-3 (8 inn.) and 10-4 at the Metrodome.

Not to read too much into it, but Dott started the first game for WW. Jake got the ball in game two, and he didn't last long.

Dominick and Munn had great lines in relief. Interested to hear the story of how Munn wound up at WW via California. That's a rare D-III trek.

Anyone know whether Schliewe is hurt or is now a reserve player? I thought Billy Johnson would play 2B and Schliewe would play C again.

cubs

2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

Quote from: OshDude on March 02, 2008, 03:07:19 PM
Interested to hear the story of how Munn wound up at WW via California. That's a rare D-III trek.
Maybe it was a package deal along with QB Danny Jones..... ;D

What was meant to be a joke, may actually have some truth to it.....  I just noticed they are both from Pleasanton, CA (although they attended different high schools.)
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

OshDude

Quote from: cubs on January 17, 2008, 02:53:57 PM
You have much higher expectations for the Whitewater pitching staff than I do......

I just can't get too high on some of these guys who finished last season with ERA's between 5.50-7.00 or higher.  The majority have a BA against around .300 or higher.

Dott-5.65 ERA .294 BAA
Johnson-6.19, .329
Dominick-5.32, .295
Severson-6.94, .244 (11 BB, 6 K)
Wong-7.18. .346
Riek-6.33, .341
G. Donovan-7.20, .300
Harves-7.36, .349

Comparing numbers to the other staffs around the WIAC, these numbers aren't any better than anyone else's.  The only difference, is that they return more arms, which doesn't really help unless they are quality, which I think the numbers show otherwise.

Guess we'll have to look elsewhere for Wong (not sure where) and Severson (St. Thomas), although I'm fairly certain I'm right about Dott.

Not the worst tradeoff for the Warhawks when you turn Wong and Severson into Munn (former draft pick), Hedgepath (decent arm from MATC) and Hooper and Ganser (two awesome HS Ps).

EDIT: Justin Dahmen transferred from Whitewater to Edgewood, who opened the season against each other. Dahmen didn't even get plunked. Too bad Tomasiewicz wasn't available out of the pen in a blowout ;). Then again Dahmen isn't Josh Shere.

Gashouse_Gang

OshDude

Just Bill

The On-Demand service is only available through Charter, so you're out of luck.

FSN-Wisconsin and FSN-Minnesota are sub-channels of FSN-North (Ch. 438 on Dish Network which is what I have. I don't know what it is on Direct TV).  Most of the time they have the same programming.  When FSN-Wisconsin shows something different than FSN-Minnesota, those games will usually appear on the "Sports Alternate" channels 445-450.  But sometimes, they won't be there and you'll be stuck with FSN-Minnesota programming.

If your only goal was maximum WIAC sports, then you should have gone with Charter Expanded Basic so you got FSN-North (on Charter you get nothing but FSN-Wisconsin programming) plus the On Demand games.

Of course, then you wouldn't get Big Ten Network or NFL Network, but that's a WHOLE 'nother debate.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

OshDude

Quote from: OshDude on February 28, 2008, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Gashouse_Gang on February 28, 2008, 01:20:42 PM
Anyone notice any suprise additions to WIAC rosters this year?

Any impact freshman or transfers on rosters?

Point: Soph OF Sam Spurney, a transfer from Oshkosh, could play a key role this season. Also liked frosh OF Jared Surman when he played in high school.

Platteville: Don't know if he'll get much time this year, but frosh IF Brett Benesh is a nice addition.

Oshkosh (EDIT): Frosh OF Blake Berger should hit a ton. That guy can rake.
I see frosh P Evan Matson getting meaningful innings.
Frosh 2B Nolan Fadness should win the starting job (with Kyle Kannenberg moving to 3B). In time, he could be better than his brother, Mickey.
There are a few other frosh pitchers who will have to get innings, but I can't pick out the best among the bunch.

Whitewater (EDIT): MATC junior transfer Steve Hedgepath should get some innings.
Junior P/OF Joe Munn was drafted in the 30th round out of HS, so I'd expect him to be a contributor.
Frosh P Jason Hooper is large and throws hard, but I don't know where he is in the pecking order. My guess is he's a year away from contributing.
Frosh 1B Tom Zimmerman is probably a year away as well, although he was a monster in high school, hitting nearly .500 with decent power potential.
Ditto for frosh P Bryant Ganser, who was a stud in HS with a 10-1 record in 11 starts, 1.10 ERA, 110 Ks in 72 IP and 34 hits allowed.

I know nothing of the mostly Minnesota and western Wisconsin recruits who are at Stout, Superior and La Crosse. Anyone have an opinion on those guys?

I missed Parkside transfer and Point 1B Brad Frank. Gotta include the cleanup hitter for a top-10 team, I guess  :).

Slinger45

UWS opened up their season today with a sweep of Morningside College 4-2 and 1-0

Tim Bouvine pitched game 1 - CG (7 ip) 4 h 6 k 1 bb 2 r 0 er
Justin Saufley pitched game 2 - CG (7 ip) 2 h 6 k 2 bb 0 r

Dont have the batting stats in front of me but Sean Cummings and Paul Schlangen both had triples and Joey Hostrawser had a 2 run double.  Ryan Leer had a few very nice plays in centerfield.

BaseballFan

Quote from: Slinger45 on March 05, 2008, 04:55:01 PM
UWS opened up their season today with a sweep of Morningside College 4-2 and 1-0

Tim Bouvine pitched game 1 - CG (7 ip) 4 h 6 k 1 bb 2 r 0 er
Justin Saufley pitched game 2 - CG (7 ip) 2 h 6 k 2 bb 0 r

Dont have the batting stats in front of me but Sean Cummings and Paul Schlangen both had triples and Joey Hostrawser had a 2 run double.  Ryan Leer had a few very nice plays in centerfield.

Nice wins for UWS, nice for them to start off 2-0. Morningside is a decent NAIA team too!

for2n8john

"If your only goal was maximum WIAC sports, then you should have gone with Charter Expanded Basic so you got FSN-North (on Charter you get nothing but FSN-Wisconsin programming) plus the On Demand games."

Thanks JustBill.  I didn't have Charter as an option since I'm in Illinois.  I have Dish now and am hoping that I'll be able to see a couple of games this way.  I heard that FSN_Wis is going to tape a few games put it directly into the "on-demand" menu without airing them.  Unfortunately, when FSN-Central shows an WIAC game its 1:00am-3am time slot during the week.

Just Bill

Quote from: for2n8john on March 05, 2008, 07:16:55 PM
"If your only goal was maximum WIAC sports, then you should have gone with Charter Expanded Basic so you got FSN-North (on Charter you get nothing but FSN-Wisconsin programming) plus the On Demand games."

Thanks JustBill.  I didn't have Charter as an option since I'm in Illinois.  I have Dish now and am hoping that I'll be able to see a couple of games this way.  I heard that FSN_Wis is going to tape a few games put it directly into the "on-demand" menu without airing them.  Unfortunately, when FSN-Central shows an WIAC game its 1:00am-3am time slot during the week.

Upgrade to the DVR and it's no problem.  It's totally worth it.  I don't know how I survived before without.