Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

It's tough to do hockey in NCAA Division II, so that's probably part of the reasoning behind D-III as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

If you're using athletics as an enrollment driver -- and with 33 teams, that appears to be the case -- D3 makes more sense than D2.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Not to get off-topic but it is the off-season so a question for anyone with an opinion...

Explain the decision to move away from the NAIA and a conference with mostly St. Louis area or mid-Missouri institutions and sponsorship of sports such as dance and cheerleading...

Is it an issue of prestige?

Longevity concerns with the NAIA or conference?

It is a financial decision--the thought that they can recruit just as hard but pay less in institutional aid?

WUPHF

Nevermind on the question and about the possibility of Lindenwood Belleville moving to Division III.

BELLEVILLE • Citing "ongoing financial and enrollment challenges," Lindenwood University will shut down most undergraduate programs on its Belleville campus after the 2019-2020 year, the school announced today. [...]

Nearly 80 percent of undergraduates at the Belleville campus are student-athletes with discounted tuition. Most of the teams will compete in the next year, except swimming, diving and men's ice hockey, which were disbanded.

Athletic scholarships will remain in place for students transferring to St. Charles, even if they don't participate in sports, according to Lindenwood spokesman Christopher Duggan.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/lindenwood-university-will-end-most-undergraduate-programs-at-belleville-campus/article_f330195d-9f39-5602-b963-655a08b8c1f3.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=dlvr

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: lefty2 on May 10, 2019, 09:45:07 PM
When is the last time a school crossed over within the MAC?

A few years ago when Arcadia jumped to the Commonwealth.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lefty2

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 13, 2019, 09:00:29 PM

Actually, it was Alvernia moving to the Commonwealth for the 2009 season.  Arcadia moved to the Commonwealth in 2008.  Either way, it doesn't happen often.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: lefty2 on May 14, 2019, 05:22:51 AM

Actually, it was Alvernia moving to the Commonwealth for the 2009 season.  Arcadia moved to the Commonwealth in 2008.  Either way, it doesn't happen often.

A - forgot about Alvernia's move.
B - you knew the answer and asked it anyway? LOL
C - I would argue that frequency (third significant move, four or five schools in general, in just over ten years) is high. No. It doesn't happen every two years (when schedules are done), but it seems to happen every time the MAC goes through an increase/decrease. I can't think of any other conference (with divisions: ASC, USAC, etc.) that has had nearly as many moves in their divisions. The MAC tends to make adjustments more often than schools, even Stevenson, change conferences. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUPHF on May 13, 2019, 04:58:47 PM
Nevermind on the question and about the possibility of Lindenwood Belleville moving to Division III.

BELLEVILLE • Citing "ongoing financial and enrollment challenges," Lindenwood University will shut down most undergraduate programs on its Belleville campus after the 2019-2020 year, the school announced today. [...]

Nearly 80 percent of undergraduates at the Belleville campus are student-athletes with discounted tuition. Most of the teams will compete in the next year, except swimming, diving and men's ice hockey, which were disbanded.

Athletic scholarships will remain in place for students transferring to St. Charles, even if they don't participate in sports, according to Lindenwood spokesman Christopher Duggan.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/lindenwood-university-will-end-most-undergraduate-programs-at-belleville-campus/article_f330195d-9f39-5602-b963-655a08b8c1f3.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=dlvr

Another article on the subject: https://www.bnd.com/news/local/education/article230339174.html?fbclid=IwAR3gdSmqNc0MvnWJ9dNqkO1_FXJgQTQvHSz-BEglcnPXO-MB-Z_bsY4rg5E

Ralph Turner

Quote from: y_jack_lok on May 14, 2019, 11:02:42 PM

Another article on the subject: https://www.bnd.com/news/local/education/article230339174.html?fbclid=IwAR3gdSmqNc0MvnWJ9dNqkO1_FXJgQTQvHSz-BEglcnPXO-MB-Z_bsY4rg5E

From the article...

QuoteAbout 78 percent of the students on the Belleville campus participate on at least one of the 34 athletic teams and compete either on scholarship or discounted tuition. The impact also was a factor in the board's decision, Duggan said.

lefty2

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 14, 2019, 02:29:02 PM

C - I would argue that frequency (third significant move, four or five schools in general, in just over ten years) is high. No. It doesn't happen every two years (when schedules are done), but it seems to happen every time the MAC goes through an increase/decrease. I can't think of any other conference (with divisions: ASC, USAC, etc.) that has had nearly as many moves in their divisions. The MAC tends to make adjustments more often than schools, even Stevenson, change conferences. :)

Yes, I knew the answer.  I asked to see if anyone else did.  I knew that the movement within the MAC is far less frequent than is sometimes implied here.

I do not know how often Stevenson moved prior to joining the MAC.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 15, 2019, 12:14:22 AM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on May 14, 2019, 11:02:42 PM

From the article...

QuoteAbout 78 percent of the students on the Belleville campus participate on at least one of the 34 athletic teams and compete either on scholarship or discounted tuition. The impact also was a factor in the board's decision, Duggan said.

It's a shame. I feel badly for my friend Mike Conway, the former NPU head football coach who had just accepted a position as LUB football's defensive coordinator, and for his son Dakota, a former Vikings standout WR who gave up a coaching job out east to join his dad on the LUB coaching staff.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 15, 2019, 11:39:23 AM
It's a shame. I feel badly for my friend Mike Conway, the former NPU head football coach who had just accepted a position as LUB football's defensive coordinator, and for his son Dakota, a former Vikings standout WR who gave up a coaching job out east to join his dad on the LUB coaching staff.

It is a shame.

Let's hope Lindenwood is able to honor their commitment to remain open through next season.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: lefty2 on May 15, 2019, 04:31:40 AM

Yes, I knew the answer.  I asked to see if anyone else did.  I knew that the movement within the MAC is far less frequent than is sometimes implied here.

Stevenson

https://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Stevenson/men/2018-19/index

MACC 2012-13 to date

CAC at least as early as 2006-07 in the Capital.

Before that,"Villa Julie College" was in the NEAC for a short time.  (I know that information because it was on an previous version of D3boards.com and D3hoops.com!)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: lefty2 on May 15, 2019, 04:31:40 AM

So next time ... just state the answer. I don't understand the point of the game played to ask a question one already knows ... instead of just putting the information into the forum normally.

ronk

I think his point is that it's been 10 years since the previous change and posing it as a question emphasized that it wasn't as frequent as had been suggested.