FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern WinterHawk

sfury

Lost 23-20 in OT. Were up 10-3 and inside the 30, ready to put the game away. Holding, fumble sent them back. Eau Claire got an 80-yard pass. Even though SJU got an interception near the end zone, the field position battle was lost. Eau Claire went up 17-10, Johnnies drove to tie in final seconds. Field goal in OT for Johnnies, Eau Claire runs it every play into the end zone to win.

sfury

Quote from: Northern WinterHawk on September 11, 2010, 06:03:02 PM
Quote from: faunch on September 11, 2010, 12:45:27 PM
Quote from: WithasilentK on September 11, 2010, 12:36:43 PM
Looking forward to today's games. Might learn something about SJU more than the double MONKEY STOMP they put on a team that last year the SJU fans were making fun of UST for playing.

Predictions:
SJU plays close for most of the game and wins by 2 scores in the end.
UST wins by 3 scores or more.
CCM I have no idea.
STO crushes Simpson.
Hamline loses a close one despite the a spectacular game by Ray Grant Jr. where he shows his dominance by grabbing 2 catches for 11 yds in a loss to a mediocre team.
Bethel wins by 3 scores.
Auggie Tech wins.

I also doubt if UST wins by 3 scores or more.  WIAC teams typically play MIAC very tough and I would say their league is much stronger from the top to the bottom.

Tommie's 27 - WRF 3
Questions???

Who will the Tommies beat in the Stagg Bowl? Whitewater or Mount Union?

SJU09

Since 2003 we've been an above average to good team.  Where are the athletes?  What has happened?

faunch

Quote from: Northern WinterHawk on September 11, 2010, 10:54:38 PM
Quote from: johnniebackup67 on September 11, 2010, 10:49:20 PM
Can I get a Johnnie update?  
Can You Say, "Johnnie's Lose & Deservedly So"???

You predicted a 2 - 3 TD win.
Can you say sphincter?

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

faunch

Quote from: sfury on September 11, 2010, 10:56:24 PM
Quote from: Northern WinterHawk on September 11, 2010, 06:03:02 PM
Quote from: faunch on September 11, 2010, 12:45:27 PM
Quote from: WithasilentK on September 11, 2010, 12:36:43 PM
Looking forward to today's games. Might learn something about SJU more than the double MONKEY STOMP they put on a team that last year the SJU fans were making fun of UST for playing.

Predictions:
SJU plays close for most of the game and wins by 2 scores in the end.
UST wins by 3 scores or more.
CCM I have no idea.
STO crushes Simpson.
Hamline loses a close one despite the a spectacular game by Ray Grant Jr. where he shows his dominance by grabbing 2 catches for 11 yds in a loss to a mediocre team.
Bethel wins by 3 scores.
Auggie Tech wins.

I also doubt if UST wins by 3 scores or more.  WIAC teams typically play MIAC very tough and I would say their league is much stronger from the top to the bottom.

Tommie's 27 - WRF 3
Questions???

Who will the Tommies beat in the Stagg Bowl? Whitewater or Mount Union?

Neither....they are really good!

sfury

Quote from: SJU09 on September 11, 2010, 10:56:49 PM
Since 2003 we've been an above average to good team.  Where are the athletes?  What has happened?

Someone else can write 4,000 words on that. On the other hand...they lost to Eau Claire in 2001 and 2002. Turned out all right. The mighty 2003 team beat Eau Claire 24-10 and barely beat a bad St. Thomas team. Even when SJU has been dominant, they've had close games against Eau Claire and other teams people expect them to beat by 30. We'll see what happens the rest of the way this year. 

faunch

In hindsight...on the road the Jays should have gone for 2.  There was no way they were going to stop the Blu-Golds running game.

hazzben

Bethel game thoughts:

1- Concordia Wisconsin is really bad, especially on the outside defensively. After getting torched by Auggie they played with a huge cushion in the secondary. A really over-matched squad in all aspects of the game. 

2- BU O-Line is experienced, good and deep. This is a special group. RT Mitch Elliot is a special player. Big, athletic and mean. Blowout saw 2's and 3's get plenty of action and they looked solid as well. 

3- D dominated from start to finish. 21 rushing yds with starters playing only one possession into the 2nd half. D-line was very solid across the board. Trent Pearson is making the transition to NT well. Peter Sontag is filling in nicely for Andrew Johnson (knee) at DE. Linebackers and Alleys played very well, especially nice game for Billy Morgan. FS Vavra (sp?) is a stud. Young safeties played well too. 

4- RB's are maybe the best, depth-wise we've ever been. Flannery had some sick TDs. Lindh is a very tough runner. 

5- WR Hilbrand is very, very good. Legit 6-4 with speed and hands. Great TD catch jumping over the top of DB, but catch of the day was on a pass thrown just out of bounds that he pulled in with a circus one-handed dive. Best part, he's only a sophomore. TE Wright is surprisingly agile for such a big, physical guy. 

6- Aakre is progressing nicely as a passer. Still some work to do, but improvement is evident and he seems to be a leader and he's definitely a tough dual threat on the run. 

7- Special Teams were ok. Kickoffs weren't great distance but pretty decent coverage. New rugby style punt is effective and difficult to field cleanly. Not much to say on punt returners as most CC punts were short and "Peter/fire" situations. 

All in all, Royals dominated an inferior opponent like they should have. Backups in almost entire 2nd half, and put up some points as well. Garbage late TD on TO by 3rd string qb against their 1's and late field goal, again 1's v. 3's aren't a concern. 

Some nice pieces here athletically but at this point we've only played two really bad teams. We'll know more about this team come mid-October...are they still beating teams they should and are they finishing teams off the way they failed to do a couple of times last year. 

Now on to the Knights. Nice to start MIAC play. Real question there, did they spend the bye week fixing their defensive miscues or was it all devoted to gimmick plays?  ;) Was the Crown game an anomaly or is that what we should expect from them. I will say this, they do tend to play tougher at home in a venue that is typically devoid of energy. But I think learning to win in that kind of setting is a good test and learning experience for a team. 

RussellT22

Quote from: SJU09 on September 11, 2010, 10:56:49 PM

SJU fans are so spoiled it is incredible. They do not realize just how hard it is to maintain the level of success that the program has over the last 15 years. Lets recap 2004-2009

2004- 7-3 with those three losses by a combined 5 points
2005- 11-1 MIAC champs. 2nd round playoff loss to UWW
2006- 11-2 MIAC champs. Lost in West Region Finals to UWW
2007- 10-2 - Lost in 2nd round to Central
2008- 8-3 MIAC Champs. Lost in 1st round to UWW
2009- 10-1 MIAC champs. Lost in 1st round to Coe

By my count that is a 57-12 record with 5 NCAA playoff appearances, 4 MIAC championships, and 1 West Region finals appearance. Not too bad my friends. Ask PLU of Rowan if they would like to have such a terrible drop off from their national title runs.

Now to truly answer your question, part of the "problem" lies in recruiting a national championship level QB to SJU. There are one of two ways that it is going to happen. Either 1. A DI or DIAA bounce back kid ala Ryan Keating or 2. Getting a great local kid to spurn other scholarship offers to come to SJU ala Linnemann, Denne, Koefed. All 3 of those guys grew up within 30 miles of SJU. There has not been a great local kid for SJU to even go after the past 5 years. Hence the QB debacle of 2008.

The other "problem" is that Blake Elliott no longer wears a SJU uniform. He was that good. Now had Eric Decker not gone to that Gophers camp and gotten an offer we most likely are not having this conversation. One elite level skill player hides an awful lot of mistakes and inadequacies.

BudSJU84

Going back a little further.  2001 the Johnnies started out 0-2 before reeling off 11 wins and winning the West Region.  I know, I know, this team contained the players that were the backbone of the 2003 team, but an impressive feat regardless.
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

sjusection105

Quote from: RussellT22 on September 12, 2010, 02:16:44 AM

By my count that is a 57-12 record with 5 NCAA playoff appearances, 4 MIAC championships, and 1 West Region finals appearance. Not too bad my friends. Ask PLU of Rowan if they would like to have such a terrible drop off from their national title runs.

Agreed-
The only thing this OT loss on the road means is that if the Jays take care of business in the MIAC season,they most likely will not be hosting more than one play-off game.
John & the coaching staff will coach the kids up and the real heavy lifting begins with the Cobbers, Ollies, Royals and yes the Tommies.
It's time to Johnnie up everyone!
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

sju56321

Well, SJU put themselves in a big hole-now they must win the MIAC-another loss and if that means no MIAC title-probably no playoffs.
What has happened to the D-instead of an interception or sack-like in the good old days :)- they get a roughing the passer? And can't hold the lead in OT?
By the way, Keating was a D-I basketball player, not football player, when he transfered to SJU.
I think SJU needs to recruit more in the Chicago area, with all the Catholic League schools, one could nab some pretty darn good players.
What about Linfield and Monmouth-changing of the guard this year? (except of course UWW and Mount).
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

sjusection105

Quote from: sju56321 on September 12, 2010, 10:20:45 AM
I think SJU needs to recruit more in the Chicago area, with all the Catholic League schools, one could nab some pretty darn good players.

Zip,
You probably know this area better than most of us on the MIAC board,where are these kids going to play college football?

I know UWW has had a number of Chicago area kids on their roster in recent years,being relatively close to Chicago,I'm just not sure they are kids from Catholic High Schools.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

sju56321

105-
The a fair number of the DIII guys play in Wisconsin in the Midwest Conference and the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin. I don't think UWW has any Chicago Catholic kids, but they do have some very good suburban Chicago kids.
I think it is easier to get the Catholic League kids because their parents can afford the private school or can get the loans necessary. There are kids that are marginal D-II that could afford SJU and could make an impact if SJU took the time to contact the coaches here in Illinois. It will always be difficult because of the travel, kids now going to schools that are close to home, rather than 6 1/2 hours away-but with all the electronic media now-I don't think it would take too much time away from the Minnesota area, where SJU concentrates now.
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.