FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retagent

Quote from: DoubleO on November 12, 2011, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: DustySJU on November 12, 2011, 09:30:27 AM
Frank is reporting Austin Murphy will be in attendance at the SJU vs Hamline University game today.

Go Johnnie

Austin Murphy is who?

What a maroon. 

The page referenced earlier can be reached from the General Football heading in the Post menu.

PurpleReign

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on November 11, 2011, 08:45:06 PM
I have heard that Nate Meyer, the senior quarterback from Rocori, is strongly considering SJU.  Rocori is in the state semi-finals and Meyer is a very good leader and athlete.  Also, he is Eric Decker's step-brother so if it turns out he doesn't go to SJU, at least we can talk for the next 4 years how good we would have been had he attended SJU.

On an unrelated note, I walked through the guidance office today at the high school I teach at and there was a purple UST kleenx box on the counter.  I guess UST uses them for advertising and recruiting when they visit high schools.  The guidance counseler from our high school, a Cobber, asked me if I would refuse to use the UST tissues.  I said, "on the contrary, I can't think of anything else I would rather blow my snot on."

Good to be able to talk about Kleenex and not have to be bothered with pesky football playoff talk.  You teach at a high school?  Kleenex not kleenx and counselor not counceler.  But hey, I will never win a spelling bee either  8-)

OzJohnnie

Quote from: DustySJU on November 12, 2011, 09:30:27 AM
Frank is reporting Austin Murphy will be in attendance at the SJU vs Hamline University game today.

Go Johnnie

That sounds SWEET.  I wonder what he's doing there this SEASON?  Maybe a new epilogue in his book?

(that was for you OO)
[  

SagatagSam

Quote from: DoubleO on November 12, 2011, 10:31:31 AM
Austin Murphy is who?

Sports Illustrated writer and author of "The Sweet Season." Murphy moved his whole family to Collegeville to spend an entire season covering the Johnnies in 1999.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Robert Zimmerman

Quote from: PurpleReign on November 12, 2011, 11:15:09 AM
I have heard that Nate Meyer, the senior quarterback from Rocori, is strongly considering SJU.  Rocori is in the state semi-finals and Meyer is a very good leader and athlete.  Also, he is Eric Decker's step-brother so if it turns out he doesn't go to SJU, at least we can talk for the next 4 years how good we would have been had he attended SJU.

On an unrelated note, I walked through the guidance office today at the high school I teach at and there was a purple UST kleenx box on the counter.  I guess UST uses them for advertising and recruiting when they visit high schools.  The guidance counseler from our high school, a Cobber, asked me if I would refuse to use the UST tissues.  I said, "on the contrary, I can't think of anything else I would rather blow my snot on."

Good to be able to talk about Kleenex and not have to be bothered with pesky football playoff talk.  You teach at a high school?  Kleenex not kleenx and counselor not counceler.  But hey, I will never win a spelling bee either  8-)

Thanks for the proof reading my post, I appreciate it.  Inexcusable.  As far as football talk goes, you might want to re-read my first 3 sentences in that post you so graciously proofread, it is about football.  I was so alarmed that I crossed some kind of line with my kleenex story, so I went back and read thousands of post-pattern replies this morning.  You're right, people only talk about football in this forum.  Good luck to UST today with the bye!

SagatagSam

Wabash and Depauw play for the 118th time for the Monon Bell today. It's being broadcast on HDNet.
My only question is how has the Johnnie-Tommie game never made it on a television (even if it's just a local broadcast)?

I've always thought that it would be in the interest of someone like KSTP, KARE or WCCO-TV?
Sing us a song tonight

Robert Zimmerman

Quote from: SagatagSam on November 11, 2011, 09:18:17 PM

I could go for another confident, skilled quarterback from ROCORI H.S. to lead the Johnnies. Any word on where else he is considering besides SJU?

Me too!  I haven't heard if any other schools are interested in him or where else he might be interested in going, just a rumor at this point.  If I remember right, I think his brother is a back up quarterback for Hamline perhaps?  Speaking of Hamline, did Ray Grant Jr. use up all of his eligibility or is SJU going to have to find a way to limit his touches today?

SagatagSam

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on November 12, 2011, 01:24:02 PM
Speaking of Hamline, did Ray Grant Jr. use up all of his eligibility or is SJU going to have to find a way to limit his touches today?

When did SJU have to limit his touches in the past?
Ray Grant Jr. career stats vs. SJU:
0 Receptions
0 Yards
0 TDs
Sing us a song tonight

sfury

Quote from: SagatagSam on November 12, 2011, 01:12:30 PM
Wabash and Depauw play for the 118th time for the Monon Bell today. It's being broadcast on HDNet.
My only question is how has the Johnnie-Tommie game never made it on a television (even if it's just a local broadcast)?

I've always thought that it would be in the interest of someone like KSTP, KARE or WCCO-TV?

They have been. I think the '92 game was on. I vaguely remember watching the final moments of the Johnnies losing 15-12, in a game that helped keep them out of the playoffs (that's the year they beat the conference champs, Carleton, 70-7).

And the 1994 game was definitely on. I think both were probably the old Midwest Sports Channel or whatever, or some other local cable network. The '94 one I remember because the Johnnies rallied (they'd already lost to Hamline so a loss would have knocked them out of playoff contention), and Malmberg scored on a play where he stepped out of bounds. I was going to comm. college at Worthington at the time but I caught the broadcast, or a replay of it, and can remember the cameras showing him stepping out. Then the Johnnies won by blocking an extra point or field goal - someone who was there can fill in that detail. And then the Johnnies went on to the national semifinals before losing on the terrible call against Albion.

sju56321

The final portion of the 2003 game was on ESPN.
Yes, they had a few games on MSC-we watched them in Chicago at a local bar-kinda bid alumni event. They had that Carleton game, also.
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

SagatagSam

It's interesting that the media player Hamline uses for their webcast shows how many people are watching at the bottom of the screen.
The average for the game has been 110 or so (I think I saw it jump up to 130 at one point).

This only fuels my argument that SJU ought to do streaming video.
I know the argument against streaming video is that it will hurt gameday attendance at Clemens Stadium.
I think you address that problem if you make it a subscription service and charge more than the total cost to attend the game (ticket + gas + etc...) That way it is cheaper to attend the game if you have the means.
I don't think $10-15 per game is too much to ask. Maybe cut a bit of a break for a full season subscription, but still greater than the cost of a season ticket.
You'd get people like me that live out of the region signing up for the season, and you'd have some fans from the opposing team that would pay for a single game.
Sing us a song tonight

sju56321

Interesting-but not sure I would pay for all games-would probably listen to Hamline and Carleton rather than pay.
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

SagatagSam

Quote from: sju56321 on November 12, 2011, 03:29:55 PM
Interesting-but not sure I would pay for all games-would probably listen to Hamline and Carleton rather than pay.

But, the key is that you probably would pay for SOME games.
All of the equipment is in place. They already have the cameras for the games. The start-up cost would come from having to link them into a streaming webcast and set up a password protected subscription service.
And, since they had a couple viewing parties in Chicago and California for an online webcast, they've already got the base systems in place for this.
The production cost is zero because they would probably only have one camera.
Sing us a song tonight

AO

Quote from: SagatagSam on November 12, 2011, 03:25:08 PM
It's interesting that the media player Hamline uses for their webcast shows how many people are watching at the bottom of the screen.
The average for the game has been 110 or so (I think I saw it jump up to 130 at one point).

This only fuels my argument that SJU ought to do streaming video.
I know the argument against streaming video is that it will hurt gameday attendance at Clemens Stadium.
I think you address that problem if you make it a subscription service and charge more than the total cost to attend the game (ticket + gas + etc...) That way it is cheaper to attend the game if you have the means.
I don't think $10-15 per game is too much to ask. Maybe cut a bit of a break for a full season subscription, but still greater than the cost of a season ticket.
You'd get people like me that live out of the region signing up for the season, and you'd have some fans from the opposing team that would pay for a single game.
It can't be about the money.  They would have surely offered a pay-per-view option by now if that was the case.  They're afraid of giving potential playoff opponents more game film to review. 

AO

Week 11 Results

Concordia 34 - St. Olaf 49
Bethel 42 - Augsburg 7
St. John's 61 - Hamline 0
Gustavus 21 - Carleton 7
Cal Lutheran 70 - Occidental 20
MacMurray 43 - Crown 32
Kean 27 - Montclair State 14

Final Standings

NameW1W2W3W4W5W6W7W8W9W10W11Overall
finsleft
WashedUp
USTBench
cobbernation
smedindy
sju56321
AO
hazzben
-
-
TheManWhoRidesAlone
-
-
Repete
-
GoldandBlueBU
tmerton
-
-
-
miacmaniac
-
stanbob
-
Phred
-
jayhawkdaddy
-
-
-
Chubbs
-
-
-
-
raiderguy
-
-
-
-
-
Finsleft is saved by the Oles who beat the spread with a couple of redzone interceptions and a fumble returned for a TD in the 2nd half.
Congratulations to our back-to-back champ.  Finsleft

Previous Champions:
2010: Finsleft
2009: sju56321
2008: AO
2007: AO
2006: Piperinsider
2005: Frankrickard/Repete