D3 vs. D1/D2/NAIA/NCCAA

Started by Gregory Sager, February 02, 2005, 02:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Fendley

Yes, those four, Utah Valley State, and Longwood are the newbies on the D-1 block.

UC-Davis will join the Big West soon. I do not know where the others will land, but a low-major reshuffling of the Big Sky / Mid Con / Southland may ensue to try to include most of the independents.

Rhodes Scholar

Finlandia was incorrectly classified as USCAA at the beginning of the season. All three of those games have been eliminated from the new totals.

Rhodes Scholar

D3 vs.  

D1....2-61
D2....10-47
NAIA 1....16-22
NAIA 2....67-70
NCCAA....37-7
USCAA....68-7

Gregory Sager

Thanks again for another season of logging these games, Rhodes.

P-Ville Hoops Man

New D3 versus D1 game to add.  20th ranked UW-Platteville @ UW-Milwaukee this friday.  Do the reigning WIAC champs stand a chance against a Sweet Sixteen team coached by a former Pioneer (Rob Jeter).  It'll be interesting to find out won't it.  I'm predicting Pioneers by a lot...or losing by 20...one way or the other.

smedindy

Isn't that an exhibition, though?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, it won't count in Rhodes' standings (if Rhodes is doing standings again) but its always nice to mention and see how our d3 schools do against the pay-for-play competition.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

The first "official" D3 Exhibition vs a "D1" opponent was played last night as Ripon was downed by UW Green Bay 97-81.  These games will be played thru the 17th of November, and are one of the 25 allowable games for D3 schools, but do not count in the schools' records.  According to the small writeup in the MWC room, Ripon was up 1 at half!!  No games tonite that I'm aware of, but activity picks up on Thursday the 3rd.  Here is a list I've compiled of these games - not sure whether our scoreboard here will include them- I probably have missed a few
11/1/2005   A   Ripon   MWC-MW-D3   81   H   UW Green Bay   D1   97
11/3/2005   A   Blackburn   SLIAC-MW-D3      H   Western Illinois   D1   
11/3/2005   A   Illinois Wesleyan   CCIW-MW-D3      H   Illinois   D1   
11/5/2005   A   Whitman   NWC-West-D3      H   Utah      D1   
11/5/2005   A   Puget Sound   NWC-West-D3      H   San Jose   D1   
11/5/2005   A   DePauw   SCAC-South-D3      H   Evansville   D1   
11/5/2005   A   UW River Falls   WIAC-West-D3      H   Wisconsin   D1   
11/5/2005   A   Capital   OAC-GL-D3      H   Valparaiso   D1   
11/8/2005   A   UW Platteville   WIAC-West-D3      H   UW Milwaukee   D1   
11/9/2005   A   UW Stout   WIAC-West-D3      H   UW Green Bay   D1   
11/9/2005   A   Wartburg   IIAC      H   Iowa   D1   
11/9/2005   A   Defiance   HCAC-MW-D3      H   Wright St   D1   
11/11/2005   A   Johns Hopkins   CC-MA-D3      H   Loyola Md   D1   
11/11/2005   A   Muskingum   OAC-Gl-D3      H   Kent State   D1   
11/12/2005   A   Greensboro   USAC-South-D3      H   High Point   D1   
11/12/2005   T   Concordia Dallas   ASCW-South-D3      T   UTSA   D1   
11/12/2005   A   Medgar Evers   CUNY-Atl-D3      H   Iona   D1   
11/12/2005   A   Piedmont   GSAC-South-D3      H   Troy   D1   
11/14/2005   A   Maryville Mo   SLIAC-MW-D3      H   St Louis   D1   
11/14/2005   A   UW Whitewater   SLIAC-MW-D3      H   Marquette   D1   
11/14/2005   A   Lawrence   MWC-MW-D3      H   Wisconsin   D1   
11/16/2005   A   Lewis&Clark   NWC-West-D3      H   Oregon St   D1   
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Sounds like a good showing for Ripon.  Green Bay isn't a top level squad, but they are usually solid.  I think 16 points is pretty respectable.

Mr. Ypsi

According to later posts on the MWC board, it was even more impressive: Ripon was up 2 about half-way through the second half!  A huge discrepancy in foul calls (and 2 technicals) doomed Ripon - though (to their credit) the posters did NOT use officiating as an excuse, admitting that the size and athleticism differential may have forced Ripon to ACTUALLY foul more to stay in the game.

True Basketball Fan

Nice job, hopefan person.

I see that Puget Sound/San Jose game being the best possible upset. 

Coach C

I still see ABSOLUTLEY no reason that D3 teams should be playing these games.  You play a game that counts against your 25 but does not count in any other way.  You get $2000 (maybe) and you lose.

Yeah maybe it's fun to play against a D1 and play close for a while, but what is the point?  Schedule a tough D3 game if you want to play a very talented team in a game that means something.

If the NCAA wants to go making legislation, they ought to ban D3 vs D1 games.  I just don't see the point.

C

Titan Q

I respectfully disagree, C.  There is more to Division III athletics than the "Quality of Wins Index" and "Primary Criteria."  These kid pay a whole bunch of money to attend a D3 school and they work awfully hard without ever getting much pub.  I love the fact some of our student-athletes now get to experience the spotlight a little bit.

Illinois Wesleyan's players are going to experience the basketball thrill of a lifetime this evening, playing infront of a soldout Assembly Hall crowd (16,600) against the defending Division I national runner-up, the Fighting Illini.    IWU's All-American point-guard will get a chance to face one of D1's top 2 or 3 point-guards - and the Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year - Dee Brown.   IWU's program is getting a lot of great exposure out of the game...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-051102illinicage,1,3767962.story?coll=cs-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2005/11/03/sports/local_sports/1011051.txt

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/110305/ILL_B8169VGI.077.shtml

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/110305/spo_20051103042.shtml

And IWU is getting $10,000, which does a lot of things for the athletic department.

Most team have plenty of other games to build their Q.O.W.I.  Ask Stevens Point how the experience was last year vs Marquette and Travis Diener...

http://www.uwsp.edu/athletics/mbb/04-05/Marquettegame.htm

I bet they wouldn't trade it for an "in-region" game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The guys can play their heart out, knowing its not going to cost them any QoW points and get a better test than they could in a scrimmage.

I think its also a boost for recruiting.  It's a lot easier to lure a d2 guy to IWU if he knows that there might be a chance to play against some of the D1's who passed on him over his four years.

Most importantly to me, it helps D3's rep overall.  No matter how good the team is, they are expected to lose by 25 or 30, so even a blowout doesn't hurt the reputation, but a good performance can do a lot to increase the reputation of top d3 programs.

Remember with ESPN U out there, the better d3 can look, the better chance we have of getting some airtime, especially in the slow winter months.  I just can't see ESPN sticking college indoor track on tv.

wilburt

I also disagree Coach C.

D3 Fisk and D1 Tennessee State play every year in the fall. It has turned into a heated rivalry particularly since the schools are less than a mile apart.   Nearly 7,000 fans have attended the game in recent years. It is a great experience for the players, fans and has been a great recruiting tool for the D3 school! 
Fisk University: Founded by Missionaries, Saved by Students.

Six time SIAC Football Champions 1913, 1915, 1919, 1923, 1973 and 1975.

Six NFL draft picks and one Pro Bowler!