FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cover2

The release said there would be a conference title to a play for.  Must be going with divisions or something.

ADL70

How about Two five-team divisions round robin then crossover game for title between winner of each and position game for the others. 
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

crufootball

Quote from: ADL70 on July 26, 2020, 11:12:21 AM
How about Two five-team divisions round robin then crossover game for title between winner of each and position game for the others.

Like the idea, pretty much what Coach Fred said was the plan for now for the spring except it was just the championship not the 2 v 2, 3 v3 addition you made.

https://kdhnews.com/sports/college/umhb/new-plans-in-place-for-umhb-after-fall-delay-asc-sets-sights-on-five-game/article_cab5fbe8-d6e1-5102-a543-4f877d19a94a.html

crufootball

Started thinking about the hypothetical breakdown of a 2 division E/W ASC and what type of set up the conference would do.

The west would have to include Sul Ross, McMurry, Hardin-Simmons and Howard Payne, the East would have to include Belhaven, LC,  and ETBU. That leaves UMHB, TLU and Southwestern which are debatable as to which side they should be on in the glancing at a map test. 

Do UMHB and HSU have to be in the same division to ensure they play each other or are we split which makes a little bit more map sense. Splitting UMHB/HSU and putting TLU in the East as well would ensure that 1 and 2 from 2019 would rematch and then match up with HSU in the championship?

Who knows if any of this is really going to happen, but at this point I have a lot of time on my hands since my Fall weekends plans just got canceled  :-\

MUC57

crufootball

My weekend plans were also cancelled. We should get together, have numerous cold ones, and try to figure out what happened to our teams last year. We might not see any games, but, if we drink eniough, we won't care!
Go Purple Raiders! Go Crusaders! 🏈 🍺 🍺 🍺🍺 ...............🍺‼️
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

crufootball

Quote from: MUC57 on July 27, 2020, 03:59:08 PM

crufootball

My weekend plans were also cancelled. We should get together, have numerous cold ones, and try to figure out what happened to our teams last year. We might not see any games, but, if we drink eniough, we won't care!

Haha I would love to sit down one with some UMHB and UMU fans and watch our entire 5 game history, some amazing games for sure.

Toby Taff

Quote from: crufootball on July 27, 2020, 03:45:26 PM
Started thinking about the hypothetical breakdown of a 2 division E/W ASC and what type of set up the conference would do.

The west would have to include Sul Ross, McMurry, Hardin-Simmons and Howard Payne, the East would have to include Belhaven, LC,  and ETBU. That leaves UMHB, TLU and Southwestern which are debatable as to which side they should be on in the glancing at a map test. 

Do UMHB and HSU have to be in the same division to ensure they play each other or are we split which makes a little bit more map sense. Splitting UMHB/HSU and putting TLU in the East as well would ensure that 1 and 2 from 2019 would rematch and then match up with HSU in the championship?

Who knows if any of this is really going to happen, but at this point I have a lot of time on my hands since my Fall weekends plans just got canceled  :-\
maybe no SU or TLU. so McM, HSU, HPU, SRU in the west ---UMHB, ETBU, LC, Belhaven in the east 1 intersquad game and a conf championship
If su and TLU, kick UMHB west. Divide it at I 35. SU is west of 35, UMHB is east of 35
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Toby Taff on July 28, 2020, 12:58:06 AM

maybe no SU or TLU. so McM, HSU, HPU, SRU in the west ---UMHB, ETBU, LC, Belhaven in the east 1 intersquad game and a conf championship
If su and TLU, kick UMHB west. Divide it at I 35. SU is west of 35, UMHB is east of 35
Is not the SU campus east of I35, and UMHB west of I35?

Toby Taff

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 28, 2020, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: Toby Taff on July 28, 2020, 12:58:06 AM

Is not the SU campus east of I35, and UMHB west of I35?
yes, ralph. i flipped them, but that is what I meant.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

MUC57

Quote from: crufootball on July 27, 2020, 11:10:32 PM
Quote from: MUC57 on July 27, 2020, 03:59:08 PM

crufootball

Haha I would love to sit down one with some UMHB and UMU fans and watch our entire 5 game history, some amazing games for sure.

crufootball

Sounds good to me. Two of the best teams in Dlll should always produce exciting games - and they did. Stay safe. 🏈 🍺 😷
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

justafan12

Under the ASC plan, could teams go find a non conference game or two?  If Austin College and Trinity field teams they would be likely candidates, Belhaven has Mishaps in the same town.  Or is it limited to conference teams only.

cover2

The way I understand it from the release, it will be conference games only.

Crubacker

What I am anxious to see is next year.  How many of the Seniors to be this year, will actually stick around an extra year to play their last year of eligiblity?  Fritz, Gipson, Smith and others would all be gone without having played a full senior year unless they decide to take a semester off or take a reduced class load.  You are talking fall, spring and possibly summer sessions that kids would have to reduce their class load in order to stretch out their undergrad work to play that last year-----------------unless they go ahead and graduate and come back as a grad student to play their last year.  BUT, then you have higher costs associated with grad work as opposed to undergrad--------------so, for a school such as UMHB------------would those seniors view it as worth coming back for one extra year or even starting grad school?

crufootball

Quote from: Crubacker on July 29, 2020, 11:51:03 AM
What I am anxious to see is next year.  How many of the Seniors to be this year, will actually stick around an extra year to play their last year of eligiblity?  Fritz, Gipson, Smith and others would all be gone without having played a full senior year unless they decide to take a semester off or take a reduced class load.  You are talking fall, spring and possibly summer sessions that kids would have to reduce their class load in order to stretch out their undergrad work to play that last year-----------------unless they go ahead and graduate and come back as a grad student to play their last year.  BUT, then you have higher costs associated with grad work as opposed to undergrad--------------so, for a school such as UMHB------------would those seniors view it as worth coming back for one extra year or even starting grad school?

Will definitely be something to watch for, of course there is the thought that many college students in general are not graduating in 4 years anyway. So this "off" year may give them the ability to hit the books harder this year and than have a easier last semester/year in 2021.

Hawks88

I've seen tweets from two Huntingdon seniors who I'm pretty sure would both have been 5th year guys this fall and I assume are on track to graduate pretty much saying their goodbyes and appreciation for the program. Heartbreaking way for it to end for them.