Pool C 2018

Started by bluestreak66, October 14, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 09, 2018, 07:35:53 AM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 08, 2018, 10:41:51 PM
Quote from: edward de vere on November 08, 2018, 10:32:24 PM
If the winner of the St. Thomas/Bethel game is the first or second Pool C choice, why wouldn't the LOSER of that same game be the fourth or fifth choice if - IF - the game is very close?
Possibly. But for that, they would have to remain above Linfield, and since St. Thomas is already below them, it's hard to envision a loss bumping them above Lin.

If this was Div 1 FBS, those quality losses count for a lot.

If this were Division I FBS, we wouldn't be having this conversation because four-team playoff.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Does HSU jump to #3 in the South Reg Rankings behind UMHB & JHU?

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 10, 2018, 07:08:08 PM
maybe, maybe not.... ;D
Go Cats!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 10, 2018, 07:08:52 PM
maybe, maybe not.... ;D

...esp if Murvul  moves into #10 & Centre and Berry get another RVRRO...

hazzben

Can anyone give a quick recap on unexpected Pool C results today? Anyone play their way out, or lose their way into consideration? I know Ithaca sounds like they've improved their chances.

jamtod

Quote from: hazzben on November 10, 2018, 07:40:51 PM
Can anyone give a quick recap on unexpected Pool C results today? Anyone play their way out, or lose their way into consideration? I know Ithaca sounds like they've improved their chances.
Not sure if you heard, but St Thomas unexpectedly lost and played their way out ;)

MonroviaCat

Quote from: hazzben on November 10, 2018, 07:40:51 PM
Salisbury lost their way out....  Other than that, I think all of the major contenders won.  There were  losses, however, that could impact where those contenders end up in the rankings.  Some new teams will be moving into the rankings and that could have some impact (for instance, the bottom 2 plus St. Thomas in the west region lost--I'd think at least two of these are replaced by new teams)....
Go Cats!

Bob.Gregg

Case Western just lost to Carnegie-Mellon, knocking the Spartans from any shot at a Pool C.  Opportunity was slim with win and none with this loss.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

trickytroy32

My pool C picks:
Bethal
John Carroll
Centre
Hardin Simmons
Mulenberg

Pool B
MIT

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Titan Q

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 11, 2018, 12:49:26 AM
Projected bracket:
http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2018/final-playoff-projection
So D3football.com has Wabash on the board after John Carroll (as the last regional ranking dictates), but not competitive in the process due to a weak SOS.  "Could Wabash get in? Sure. They have a win against a regionally ranked team. But the SOS of under .500 is a no-go with our committee."

I agree with this, and it's why I don't understand why the North would put Wabash and Wittenberg ahead of IWU.  It seems like IWU would be much more competitive in the Pool C process.  Replacing Wabash with IWU in the 3rd round of the D3football.com selection process...

Ithaca 8-2, .556 SOS, loss to East No. 1 Brockport, lost to E3 RPI, win vs. E7 Union
Hardin-Simmons 9-1, .519, loss to S1 UMHB, win vs. S10 Trinity
Illinois Wesleyan 8-2, .588, loss to W#8 UW-La Crosse, win vs N#10 Wheaton, loss vs N#2 North Central
Linfield 7-2, .565, loss to W3 Whitworth (and NAIA Carroll, which is 5-6, or 4-6 plus a forfeit win)

I think in that scenario D3football would have picked IWU as one of the five Pool Cs.  (I'd say the same about Wheaton...but I believe IWU will be regionally ranked ahead of Wheaton due to head-to-head win.)

Resumes w/ teams listed in alphabetical order (SOS numbers are one game old):

* Illinois Wesleyan: 8-2, .588 SOS, 1-2 vs RRO (beat Wheaton, lost to La Crosse, North Central)
* Wabash: 9-1, .484 SOS, 1-0 vs RRO (beat Wittenberg)
* Wheaton: 8-2, .606 SOS, 1-1 vs RRO (lost to IWU, beat North Central)
* Wittenberg: 9-1, .500 SOS, 0-1 vs RRO (lost to Wabash)

I have a diploma from IWU, and my handle is "Titan Q", but it seems to me like IWU should be the highest ranked team in that group.

Titan Q

Anyone know if/when we get the final regional rankings?

retagent

crufootball

Quote from: Titan Q on November 11, 2018, 08:15:04 AM
Anyone know if/when we get the final regional rankings?

We got them last year, of course they were released after the bracket was.

http://d3football.com/playoffs/2017/final-regional-ranking

USee

Here are the criteria with updated SOS through yesterday:

* Illinois Wesleyan: 8-2, .555 SOS, 1-2 vs RRO (beat Wheaton, lost to La Crosse, North Central)
* Wheaton: 8-2, .558 SOS, 1-1 vs RRO (lost to IWU, beat North Central)
* Wittenberg: 9-1, .504 SOS, 0-1 vs RRO (lost to Wabash)
*JCU: 9-1, .538 SOS, 1-1 vs RRO (Beat BW, lost to UMU)

If somehow WashU sneaks into the bottom of the final rankings, which is a strong possibility when you consider all the choices for the 10th spot:

*WashU: 8-2, .555 SOS, 1-2 vs RRO (Beat Wheaton, lost to IWU, North Central)
*Baldwin Wallace: 8-2, .516 SOS, 0-2 vs RRO (Lost to UMU, JCU)
*Franklin: 8-2, .440 SOS, 0-0 vs RRO
*Denison,: 8-2 .497 SOS, 1-1 vs RRO (Beat Wabash, lost to Wittenberg)

Then the North looks like this:

* Illinois Wesleyan: 8-2, .555 SOS, 2-2 vs RRO (beat Wheaton, WashU, lost to La Crosse, North Central)
* Wheaton: 8-2, .558 SOS, 1-2 vs RRO (lost to IWU, WashU, beat North Central)
* Wittenberg: 9-1, .504 SOS, 0-1 vs RRO (lost to Wabash)
*JCU: 9-1, .538 SOS, 0-1 vs RRO (lost to UMU)