FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Although the LL will be smaller next year, I think it will be pretty solid competition with one year left on the AQ.  Ithaca really helps the profile with 3 National Titles...although not in LL, but still a great addition.....all the best of luck to IC's new coach , Swanstrom.....looking forward to some great IC-HC games for many years.

I really like Alfred as the seventh football member and I think they would fit well with rest of LL sports and geography ....not sure how Alfred AD/President and LL AD's/Presidents feel about it...and then our raid on the E8 would be complete

In support of Alfred academic impact/results, they rank higher than Yale(http://buffalonews.com/2015/06/27/recent-study-ranks-alfred-university-higher-than-yale-dartmouth/)
Maybe not the same as US News rankings, but perhaps more relevant these days
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

I'm not sure there will be such thing as a Pool B by 2019 (so no problem in 18 but after that...?), but maybe that's just me....
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jknezek

Quote from: Bartman on December 13, 2016, 01:13:19 PM
Although the LL will be smaller next year, I think it will be pretty solid competition with one year left on the AQ.  Ithaca really helps the profile with 3 National Titles...although not in LL, but still a great addition.....all the best of luck to IC's new coach , Swanstrom.....looking forward to some great IC-HC games for many years.

I really like Alfred as the seventh football member and I think they would fit well with rest of LL sports and geography ....not sure how Alfred AD/President and LL AD's/Presidents feel about it...and then our raid on the E8 would be complete

In support of Alfred academic impact/results, they rank higher than Yale(http://buffalonews.com/2015/06/27/recent-study-ranks-alfred-university-higher-than-yale-dartmouth/)

I probably shouldn't knock this study considering W&L ranks 6th, but a study that ranks colleges by a modified salary metric at mid-career doesn't really interest me. Lots of college students choose careers like teaching, which are noble and necessary, but don't pay particularly well. A school with a focus on producing teachers would perform horribly in this exercise, while a school that outputs a high number of engineers would absolutely rock these rankings. And shockingly that's pretty much what you see. There's also probably a good reason many of the top performing schools on here are smaller, STEM type schools, where a few huge hits skews the numbers as opposed to large state schools where they would get buried in the outcomes.

Regardless, I don't think this is a study too many LL folks would look at trying to determine if Alfred is a true peer institution.

Bartman

Quote from: jknezek on December 13, 2016, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: Bartman on December 13, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

I probably shouldn't knock this study considering W&L ranks 6th, but a study that ranks colleges by a modified salary metric at mid-career doesn't really interest me. Lots of college students choose careers like teaching, which are noble and necessary, but don't pay particularly well. A school with a focus on producing teachers would perform horribly in this exercise, while a school that outputs a high number of engineers would absolutely rock these rankings. And shockingly that's pretty much what you see. There's also probably a good reason many of the top performing schools on here are smaller, STEM type schools, where a few huge hits skews the numbers as opposed to large state schools where they would get buried in the outcomes.

Regardless, I don't think this is a study too many LL folks would look at trying to determine if Alfred is a true peer institution.
I realize that your comments on the STEM influence are relevant for these rankings (that is why Union and RPI rock these ratings while Hobart, Rochester and Ithaca, not so much while it looks like SLU took a pass on participating) ...I do think the traditional US News ratings have way too much influence and have little to do with outcomes other than graduation rates and alumni giving.....my motivation was to give some recognition to Alfred since their 159th national rating for liberal arts colleges in US News  is not a fair reflection either....BTW, I agree that teaching careers are incredibly important , especially  when you look at how our global rankings have plummeted over the last few decades, so I agree that pure mid-career income is not a fully balanced method for comparison, but given the cost of private colleges , it certainly will be a factor that prospective students and parents consider when selecting a college. I know at Hobart it is why a fully paid internship stipend and opportunity is offered to students to help launch their career whether in politics,teaching or investment banking......Alfred should get some credit for producing these outcomes, as imperfect as they may be......
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

res ipsa loquitur

Nice job to David Sylvester, from my high school alma mater, on making the D3 All America team.

And if you buy these teams, Hobart may have the number one QB/WR combo in all of D3 coming back next year.  Here's hoping for a deep run in 2017.  Go Bart!

http://www.d3football.com/awards/all-americans/2016
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bartman

Quote from: res ipsa loquitur on December 16, 2016, 07:21:15 PM
Nice job to David Sylvester, from my high school alma mater, on making the D3 All America team.

And if you buy these teams, Hobart may have the number one QB/WR combo in all of D3 coming back next year.  Here's hoping for a deep run in 2017.  Go Bart!

http://www.d3football.com/awards/all-americans/2016
Nice LL representation on the AA Team:
     First Team: Shed(Hobart-only JR on 1st team Offense), Brown -Wallace(SLU)
     Honorable Mention: Sweeney(Hobart), Murtaugh(WPI), Gallagher(SLU)
Congrats to all of these men. No off season BBall for either Shed or Sweeney....we need you healthy for a great run in 2017
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bartman

Congrats to the 2 LL Top 25 Teams:
      Hobart #18 (AFCA), #19( D3.com)  and St. Lawrence #24 (D3.com)  A great season for both teams!
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

ITH radio

With only six teams in the LL this fall, ITH is at a bit of a crossroads. Given it's the offseason, would be curious to hear from any listeners with ideas on what we should, could do next?

Frank and I have some ideas, but certainly open to suggestions based on what you've heard, liked and disliked about the program over the years.

Bartman

Since there is some pretty good crossover with the E8, maybe focus on both leagues...you might not be able to go into as much  depth but I think the E8 crowd might be interested and as a LL follower I am interested in E8......you can still do a little Eastern/National focus.....I would try to stay to an hour for the show....just my thoughts...thanks for your efforts
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

stlawus

Quote from: ITH radio on January 11, 2017, 01:23:00 PM
With only six teams in the LL this fall, ITH is at a bit of a crossroads. Given it's the offseason, would be curious to hear from any listeners with ideas on what we should, could do next?

Frank and I have some ideas, but certainly open to suggestions based on what you've heard, liked and disliked about the program over the years.

Show is great, can't say there's anything I really dislike about the program.  It would be cool to go a little more in depth in regard to stats.  I know stats don't tell the whole story but I'm a sucker for a good statistical breakdown.

Jonny Utah

I always like hearing coaches talk about things other than their team or the team they are playing.  Like the pros and cons at recruiting at a certain school, stories from past jobs and how they may differ than their current job .  Challenges with admissions/financial aid.  How the game has changed in terms of scheme and how recruiting may be effected by that (running QBs, systems, etc).  I like system talk in general and how coaches need to recruit for those systems, or whether or not d3 coaches simply adapt their systems to their players.

Either way I tune in to things I find interesting, but general talk about their own team and which players can do what isn't always that interesting to me, although I understand that gameweek shows need to cover that kind of stuff.

Bartman

Update on Ali Marpet ratings following 2016 season for the Tampa Bay Bucs.....Bucs are the 23rd ranked line in NFL and Ali is their best lineman...for RGs in the NFL he is ranked 14th overall but 5th for run-blocking. Congrats to Ali , Hobart and the LL for developing this beast from the East....good luck to Ali on his way to an eventual Pro Bowl position one day....Go Bart

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (27)
Top overall grade: RG Ali Marpet, 84.5 (No. 14)

Top pass-blocking grade: RG Ali Marpet, 84.1 (No. 23)

Top run-blocking grade: RG Ali Marpet, 84.4 (No. 5)

The left side of the Buccaneers' line was a real problem area, with the play of LT Donovan Smith proving to be a real issue. Smith surrendered 57 total QB pressures and 14 penalties over his season, with Kevin Pamphile inside of him chipping in with 32 pressures of his own. Second-year player Ali Marpet continued his development with solid play, especially in the run game, while Joe Hawley and Demar Dotson were capable starters at center and right tackle, respectively. The line wasn't helped when injury forced them to bring Gosder Cherilus into the lineup at right tackle, as he was beaten for three sacks and two hurries in just two games starting before being sent back to the bench to end the year.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

ITH radio

dlippiel

dlip thinks the show should be at least 3 hours long and primarily feature the Union College Football Dutchmen. Maybe leave 5- 10 minutes to discuss other relevant goings on in the East Region...

D3viewer

According to Brockport's facebook page they not only will be playing Hobart and Ithaca again this season, they will also be adding St Lawrence to the schedule. The last week of the season (11/11/17) at St Lawrence. That's 3 LL opponents on their schedule. I don't think they've played the "Saints" ( why do I want to call them the "Larries", have they ever been that ?) since 1993, when a young Brian Angelichio roamed the field for St Lawrence.