BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EttaFan1

Just waiting on JCU and northern to play in order to set the field.

Dr. Acula

JCU wins game 1 and grabs the 4 seed.

EttaFan1

Thursday
Game 1: JCU @ MC 3:30
Game 2: MTU @ Berg 7:00
Friday
Game 3:  Winners 12:00
Game 4:  Losers 3:30
Game 5:  Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 3 7:00
Saturday
Game 6: Winner Game 3 vs. winner Game 5 1:00
Game 7: 4:00 If necessary

Now if mother nature can help us out a bit!

Gramps

As THE BERG Senors participate in their final OAC Tournament I'd like to say that it was my privledge to represent them as their blogger for four years. I'd like to wish them the best for the rest of their career in the postseason. And they are Gar Keen, Jason Lash, Derek Andrzejczak, Andy Lowe, Brian Koehl, Brandon Stucky, Nathan James, Willie Brechun, Andrew Buelow, Alex Monroe, Mitch Jones, Joe Rourke, & Blake Thornton. It has been my pleasure to know them, root for them and appreciate their talents both on the field and off. God Bless.

GO BERG!!!!

EttaFan1

Kudos to those seniors, Gramps.  They have cetainly made their impression on the OAC in their careers.  They have earned my respect and the respect of the Pioneer faithful.   

mideastfan2

GAME ONE:

JCU - 1
MAR - 4

Marietta had runners on all day long, but the timely hitting didn't come until the 7th inning when the Pioneers plated 3 with 2-outs. 

Gasser went the distance to improve to 11-0 on the year, although his 0.89 ERA took a hit with that 1 earned run  ;D

EttaFan1

Gasser's era ballooned to a ginormous 0.90 and the "team" era dropped to a filthy 1.66.

Tomorrow is the rubber match between the berg and the pios. Heidelberg beat up on mount union 14-5 in their first round matchup. So the lunchtime special in the winners bracket should be a dandy.

#1 marietta vs #9 Heidelberg.

EttaFan1

As well as Gasser pitched last night, Blaski one upped it today.

Heidelberg 0-2-2
Marietta  4-5-0

Blaski with the complete game victory. 

S. Nino takes the loss for 'Berg.  Once he settled down in the fourth inning he was very good.  He had trouble finding the plate early on. 

Andy Lowe pitched an inning plus in relief and is virtually unhittable.  Man he is good.

'Berg comes back tonight to play the MU/JCU winner.  Marietta sits in the proverbial catbirds seat for a 1:00 game on Saturday.

Dr. Acula

JCU sends MUC packing, 7-1.  Not a great showing by my Raiders, but I'll be the first to call the season a relative success.  Given the number of freshmen starting I didn't think the OAC tournament was a strong possibility.  They gave themselves something to build on.  Sad to see Greg Ferrell go too.  What a player.

Tinman

I was there Doc, they really seemed to fold when JCU put a 3 spot in the 4th and seemed pretty down the rest of the way.  The youthful team will learn it is never over and will figure out how to play through when things get tough.  Some pretty stand up seniors had their last game. 

EttaFan1

Looks very likely for a 'berg bs mc matchup in the title game. Berg up 8-1 when I left in the 7th.

mideastfan2

Quote from: EttaFan1 on May 13, 2011, 09:24:03 PM
Looks very likely for a 'berg bs mc matchup in the title game. Berg up 8-1 when I left in the 7th.

you left a few mintues early....for some reason HEID brought in Lowe in the 7th, and he ended up throwing 27 pitches and giving up 3 runs.

That makes 3 appearances in 2 days, plus all the warm-up time....doesn't make any sense.

I know you have to win today to get to tomorrow, but HEID had to have another arm to put out there and enough confidence in their bats to score against a beatdown JCU pitching staff.

They will need Lowe tomorrow, and better hope he isn't the least bit tired....the call doesn't make ANY sense to me at all.

mideastfan2

^^^ hmmm, was I on to something?

Just as HEID started getting some momentum, Lowe comes on in the 7th and gets hit HARD.  Marietta extends the lead to 7-1, and pretty much puts this one away with the way Williams is throwing.

Is Lowe being overused, especially after last night's pointless LONG inning of work????  I think so.

mideastfan2

Marietta - 2011 OAC Champs!!

well done fellas!

Snyder wins the OAC Tournament MVP...the first of many awards coming his way this season.

And it doesn't get much better than the Pioneer starting pitchers.

Gasser (vs. JCU) – 9 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 0 bb's, 8 k's
Blaski (vs. #9 Heidelberg) – 9 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 4 bb's, 3 k's
Williams (vs. #9 Heidelberg) - 7 IP, 3 hits, 1 run, 2 bb's, 5 k's

EttaFan1

Some things really stood out at this tournament.

1.  Mount union and John Carroll are no where close to what 'berg and marietta are. The difference in pitching staffs and overall offense and defense is night and day right now.

2.  Both 'berg and mc play very good defense most of the time. The first baseman for 'berg is outstanding on d.  He made some plays today that were very impressive. Mc's shortstop (Saunders) is as good as you will see anywhere in d3.   Marietta's thirdbaseman who hadn't played a whole lot this season came up with some stellar plays. Gar keen, berg's 2b is stellar. Lizcano is also very good defensively.

3.  Andy Lowe is an amazing pitcher. As Mideast fan says he may have been used a bit too much. However when you are fighting for your life and have to win to continue, you go with the best you have. That's what coach palm did and I think the pios were ready for him.

4.  The better team won the tournament. The pio pitching staff is ridiculously good.  In four games against each other the scores were 12-0, 6-8, 4-0, and 7-3 marietta winning three. In those three wins 'berg never really threatened to do anything significant.

5.  Both of these teams will be in the NCAA tourney. Find me 13 other pool c teams better than berg. They are legit.

It was great to see the pios win the league and the tourney. Hopefully the can keep rolling through the regional and into Appleton.