BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Bummer about the timing Gramps.  That would be a good one to see.  I'm interested to see how MUC approaches the pitching match ups.  They saved their #2, Joe Irwin, for Saturday.  Will they start him game 1 to use their best guy in the 7 inning game?  Or will they avoid Paddock and let Irwin start the 2nd game as he's accustomed to?  I don't know who's getting the ball in the other game.  Brett Thomas?  Maybe Erik Miller since he only threw 2 innings today?

inthecrease

i would expect to see irwin pitch the first game against paddock since last year the raiders handled paddock pretty well. they really had problems against andy lowe. game 2 will probably be pieced together. see miller for a few, thomas, colly, and wise. atleast thats how i would approach it if i were at the helm

fundamentalswin

inthecrease,

Clearly you have never benn around the MUC program...

The logical thing to do is always the last possible option and that is if logic was ever an option to begin with

Gramps

Curious, does anyone remember when the last time someone "Hit for the Cycle" in the OAC.  Let me hear from some of the Baseball Gurus.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Dr. Acula

I've only been following OAC baseball for around 10 years, but I don't remember any off the top of my head.  The Cycle is rare in general so when you factor in 7 inning games the majority of the time the odds are even less.  It's hard to get 4 hits in a 7 inning game, let alone the Cycle! 

Gramps

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 10, 2009, 06:22:48 PM
I've only been following OAC baseball for around 10 years, but I don't remember any off the top of my head.  The Cycle is rare in general so when you factor in 7 inning games the majority of the time the odds are even less.  It's hard to get 4 hits in a 7 inning game, let alone the Cycle! 

Dr. Acula: Jason Lash's Cycle was in game 2, and usually game two is a 9 inning game. He was actually up one more time after he got the Cycle and he drove the ball to fence where the left fielder caught up to it.

DenisonFan

In 2006, in the NCAC, Denison player Todd Pitt hit for the cycle in a game in Florida -- and hit Johnny Pesky, too.

http://tinyurl.com/d935rw

inthecrease

here is what i have found from researching every schools media guide i could find online (i have that kind of free time)

OAC Cycle:
April 12, 2001 - Mike Van Schepen for Muskingum vs. Wilmington
May 12, 1994 - Chris Matejcik for B-W vs. Mount Union

Non-OAC Cycle:
April 14, 2005 - Mike Farrell for B-W vs. Hiram
March 12, 2001 - Steve Conter for B-Wvs. Thomas More (Ky.)

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Gramps on April 10, 2009, 06:49:38 PMDr. Acula: Jason Lash's Cycle was in game 2, and usually game two is a 9 inning game. He was actually up one more time after he got the Cycle and he drove the ball to fence where the left fielder caught up to it.

I guess I was saying that it's obviously harder to do it in 7 and between FL, non-conf DH and the first half of OAC DH there are a lot of 7 inning games.  So it just cuts down the chances even more thus making it more impressive to me.  I couldn't have hit for the cycle in a season so I'm jealous.

p.s. Thanks inthecrease for the research. 

mideastfan2

we are almost halfway through the OAC season, here are today's matchups....

Heidelberg at Mount Union
ONU at John Carroll
Wilmington at Marietta
Musky at Otterbein
Capital at B-W

current standings:

Marietta                (6-2)
Heidelberg            (6-2)
Mount Union         (6-2)
John Carroll          (5-3)
Muskingum           (4-4)
Otterbein              (3-3)
Baldwin-Wallace   (3-5)
Ohio Northern       (2-4)
Wilmington            (2-7)
Capital                  (1-6)

Dr. Acula

Game 1 in Alliance is flying by...

Berg leads 2-0 middle of 5. 

Paddock has OWNED Mount thus far.  4 innings, 1 hit and three 1-2-3 innings.  Irwin gave up 2 in the first and has settled in now tossing 4 straight scoreless frames himself.

mideastfan2

Game 1 in Marietta....

The Pioneers scored 4 in the bottom of the 6th, capped off by a big 2-run HR by Cimino, to take a 8-6 lead.  Wilmington got a lead-off HR in the 7th to narrow the score at 8-7, but left the tying run on third as the last two batters struckout.

FINAL
Wilmington - 7
Marietta - 8

Dr. Acula

Other game 1 finals:

Berg 3, MUC 0

Ott 12, Musky 8

BW 1, Cap 0

ONU 5, JCU 4

mideastfan2

Marietta caps off sweep of Wilmington.

Heidelberg caps off sweep at Mount Union.

Marietta (8-2)
Heidelberg (8-2)
Mount Union (6-4)

Dr. Acula

Great pitching from Berg today...2 runs in 16 innings to an offense like MUC's is outstanding.  Mount got pretty good pitching as well.  Irwin settled down and gave up only 1 run the final 6 innings of game 1 and the bullpen work of Wise and Griffith in game 2 was fantastic (8 IP, 1 R).  Rocky starts in both games combined with good Berg pitching did the Raiders in today.