FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoops and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

lumbercat

I've read a number of accounts of the Bates Williams game and they all seem to show the game as a dominant Williams victory. In the end I guess you have to see it that way but the game unfolded a little differently than it was portrayed in most of the different media accounts.

Early in the 4th with the the score 17-7 Bates had a fourth and goal from the Williams 1 yard line. Some thought the Bates RB broke the plane on the 4th down scoring attempt but Williams held. A great stand by the Ephs fine defense. If Bates scored it would have been 17-14 with some Bates momentum in the fourth.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda I know, but thats the way young 0-4 teams have to think. 

Overlooked is the fact that Bates FY RB fumbled the first play of the initial possession at the Bates 15. Williams scored on their first play so it was 7-0 Williams 24 seconds into the game.

It's another loss but in Lewiston coach Hall and his staff are trying to build on some positives and bright spots form their effort against a fine Williams Football team.

Dozier, Stola....yikes.

The Berkshire Eagle had the most accurate account of the game-- I'll try to attach the link.

lumbercat

Berkshire Eagle story - Williams-Bates

JEFFFAN

To state the obvious - my specialty - the turnaround at Williams has occurred much more rapidly than anyone could have expected.  This coaching staff is doing a terrific job turning around a moribund program.   We all knew it would happen but maybe not this quickly.

lumbercat

Jeff-
Couldn't agree more- well coached team with a lot of talent and they only brought a roster in the low- mid 60's to Lewiston. The only missing link looks like depth.

nescac1

Thoughts on leaders for league awards at the (nearly) half-way point of the season?

I'd say Ryan McDonald is overwhelming favorite for OPOY, followed by Max Chipouras, TJ Dozier, Mark Piccillo, Jack Hickey (if he returns to health quickly), Jonathan Girard.

For DPOY, Andrew Yamin is 1, T.J. Rothmann is 1A, Greg Holt is 3.   Those guys seem way ahead of the field, but others in the mix might include Dan Negron, Cory Jean-Jacques, Taj Gooden, Joe Gowetski. 

For ROY, right now it's Matt Hersch and then everyone else.  Maybe Lockwood at Trinity but I think most of his stats have been accrued late in blowout games. 

amh63

Slow info day for the games this weekend.  Did we scare the "pickers" away?  Caught up in the wet crazy weather this season.  My wife's "baby sister"....14 years younger...and her husband were visiting last weekend and reached home in Winter Park Fl. today...several side trips on the way down by car. Was a bit worried.
Do recommend the annual selection of football player "picture day pictures" picks/ratings by the boys of nothingbutnescac for some smiles in the meantime.
I'm sure the posters here do not want the picks by me or JEFFFAN....the " ignorant" and the "obvious" ;D

NBC93

I can't find film for Colby on the NESCAC Network app or the nsn site. I was hoping that recent games would be available but apparently not. Does anyone know where to find footage? I guess I have been fortunate the last 4 weeks to find film for the teams that happened to be next up for Amherst.
I would much rather break film down than stare at stats and box scores but I will take what I can get at this point!

Nescacman

Quote from: NBC93 on October 11, 2018, 05:29:42 PM
I can't find film for Colby on the NESCAC Network app or the nsn site. I was hoping that recent games would be available but apparently not. Does anyone know where to find footage? I guess I have been fortunate the last 4 weeks to find film for the teams that happened to be next up for Amherst.
I would much rather break film down than stare at stats and box scores but I will take what I can get at this point!

Rumor has it NBC that the Colby coaching staff destroys all video evidence immediately following all games...perhaps Colbyfootball can confirm that?!?

Nescacman

NESCACMAN 2018 NESCAC Weekly Power Rankings-Week #4

Welcome to the 2018 NESCAC Weekly Power Rankings for Week #4 in "the league where they pay to play"!!! Week 4 was a week filled with blowouts and a disappointing showing by Middlebury in our GOTW...Time for our mid-term exams and our weekly rankings...

1. Amhurst (4-0; LW:1): Solid win on the road against Middlebury beating their first "quality" opponent of the year....What's Gone Right in the 1st Half of the Season: They are 4-0 and all they do is win...defense has played great; second in league in points allowed, 2nd in total YPG and 1st in rushing YPG...rushing offense has been solid led by Hickey...What Hasn't Gone Right in the 1st Half of the Season: Way too many fumbles...need to do a better job in the red zone (71% red zone % and 59% RZ TD %)...offense has not shown much balance (907 passing yds v 652 rushing yds) by design without a superstar QB that can throw the ball down the field...1st Half Grade: A...1st Half MVP: Andrew Yamin...next up: Colby in Amhurst.

2. That Team Up North (aka Williams)(4-0; LW:2): TTUN moves to 4-0 with win over UBates keyed off Dozier's big day running...What's Gone Right: Everything...great job recruiting and executing by HCOF Raymond...limited injuries to key personnel, young players continue to step up, favorable schedule...2nd in the 'CAC in PPG, 3rd in total O, 3rd in point allowed...plus 8 in turnovers...What Hasn't Gone Right: Back end of schedule is brutal...4 of last 5 games against quality opponents including undefeated Jumbo's and Lord Mammoths...any loses to key personnel could cause season to go south in a hurry...need to get to the QB a bit more...Maimaron has only completed 51.8% of his passes (but 6 TDs and no INTs)...second to last in punting...1st half grade: A+...1st half MVP: Maimaron/Dozier next up: Middlebury in Willytown.

3. Tufts (4-0; LW:3): Solid win for the Original Elephants as their defense recorded their first shutout since 2006...held Bowdoin to 11 first downs and only 230 yards of offense...forced the PBers to punt an incredible 11 times...allowed only 169 yards passing on 49 passing attempts...What's Gone Right: Impressive wins against mostly unimpressive opponents with the exception of their win against Wes...defense is one of the best in the country and tops in the NESCAC...lead the NESCAC in sacks with 14...highest red zone % in the league...Great leadership and offensive output with his arm and feet by Ryan McDonald...Greg Holt has been impressive on D...What Hasn't Gone Right: Not much...Rubber meets the road as schedule gets much harder from here on out starting this week against Hartford State...not to nitpick but they only convert 39% on third downs...75% on PATs has to improve against better teams...1st Half Grade: A...1st Half MVP: McDonald/Holt...next up: at Hartford State.

4. Hartford State (3-1; last week's rank:4): Resounding win over the Conts...led 30-0 at the half and racked up 503 yards of total offense...What's Gone Right: Offensively, HS leads the 'CAC in total yards and points per game...they also lead the NESCAC defensively in yards per game...QB Vazzano leads the 'CAC in passing yards and TDs...Chipouras is 2nd in rushing...Girard is 1st in receiving yards...Sachse is on his way to being the 1st team All-NESCAC kicker...What Hasn't Gone Right: They haven't had to punt much (only 16 times in in 4 games) but when they do punt it hasn't been good only averaging 32 yards per punt...Red Zone % is only 56% good for 8th in the conference (when you score via the long play, it doesn't matter that much)...lowest TD % in the RZ in the league at 36%...only 1 interception in 4 games...8th in penalty yards...Vazzano has only completed 42.5% of his passes...1st Half Grade: B+...1st Half MVP: Girard...next up: Tufts in Hartford.   

5. Wesleyan (2-2; LW:5): Got back on the winning track with a win on the road in Waterville...almost shot themselves in the foot for the third straight week in the last 2 mins...still pulled out the win...What Has Gone Right: Offense has been putting points on the board and is more balanced in 2018 than it has been in prior years...With a few breaks could be 4-0...has scored 2 defensive TDs...top in the NESCAC in 3rd down %...lead the NESCAC in interceptions and 3rd sacks...Piccirillo, like McDonald for Tufts, has been a dual threat...Gooden is a defensive POTY candidate...What Hasn't Gone Right: Killer instinct to finish Teams off (Tufts and Hamilton and almost Colby)...last in the NESCAC in giving up passing yards...9th in penalties...too many injuries to key players...1st Half Grade: C...1st Half MVP: Piccirillo/Gooden...next up: at UBates (Lewiston Campus).

6. Middlebury (2-2; LW:6): Shutout for the first time in recent memory by the LMs...offense was incredibly inept as they only generated 201 yards of total offense, 13 first downs, were sacked 6 times and were 4 of 18 on third down...What's Gone Right: Not much in a disappointing year for the Pants...Pass defense has been decent as the secondary leads the NESCAC in INTs...Scibilia is 7th in the NESCAC in rushing...What Hasn't Gone Right: Thought we would never say this, but QB play has been bad...6 TD passes and 9 INTs (leads the 'CAC)...only 5.5 yards per pass attempt...McKillup, Foote, Miano, Lebowitz are a distant memory...Cosolito and Banky have 22 catches COMBINED...offensive line has not been good (10 sacks allowed, averaging only 3.9 yards per rush)...minus 4 in turnovers...defense is 6th in the NESCAC...we think this Team is destined for a 4-5 season...1st Half Grade:" C-...1st Half MVP: Scibilia...next up: at TTUN. 

7. Hamilton (1-3; LW:7): As predicted....walloped by an angry Hartford State squad...ground game struggled once again...defense could not stop the HS assault...What's Gone Right: Hmmm, well they did beat Wesleyan on the road...3 of their last 5 games are very winnable and could even surprise Middlebury and end up 5-4...Kenny Gray has looked good at times under center...Schmidt and Buddington are having good years at WR...Wagner 1st in NESCAC in punting (41 yard average, 11 inside the 20) ...What Hasn't Gone Right: Overall offense (9th in yards and 1st downs), defense (8th in yards per game allowed), rushing offense (last)...injuries have hurt this team...1st Half Grade: C-...1st Half MVP: Schmidt/Wagner...next up: Bowdoin in Clinton.

8. Bowdoin (0-4; LW:8): Second straight week the Bowdoin running game couldn't get going losing to Tufts 28-0...C-B-B moves to a combined 0-12...What's Gone Right: Hmmm, well they are 7th best in the 'CAC in total offense and 5th in passing offense...they are plus zero in turnovers...Richam is 3rd in rushing yards...Gowetski leads the 'CAC in tackles and has 3.5 tackles for loss...they are our choice to win the 2018 version of the Great Northern Pillow Fight aka the C-B-B...What Hasn't Gone Right: 0-4, 44 points for, 130 points against...last in total defense giving up 500 yards per game...schedule gets easier with 3 of their last 5 games winnable...inconsistent QB play from McCrum ( 3 TDs, 6 INTs, only completing 49% of his passes)...1st Half Grade: D...1st Half MVP: Richam/Gowetski...next up: at Hamilton. 

9. University of Bates (Lewiston Campus)(0-4; LW:9): UBates actually had more 1st downs and nearly 13 minutes more of TOP in their loss to TTUN last week...3 turnovers by UBates and TTUN RB Dozier running wild was the difference...What's Gone Right: UBates has actually been in several games at the half before succumbing to the competition in the 2nd half...3rd in red zone % (80%)...Lindgren has led the D with 38 tackles, 4 of which for a loss...What Hasn't Gone Right: Pretty Much everything...last in Total offense...9th in total defense...last in points allowed...running the Air Raid offense with a QB that was recruited to run the triple option...1st Half Grade: D-...1st Half MVP: Lindgren....next up: Wesleyan at Lewiston.

10. Colby (0-4; LW:10): Spirited comeback to make their game last week against Wes close...trailed Wes 28-7 with 2 mins left...New QB Matt Hersch had a great day (23 for 40, 3 TDs, 1 INT)...What Went Right: Hersch has completed 60% of his passes and thrown 5 TD passes....Schwern is 4th in the league in rushing...7th in yards per game allowed...2nd in passing yards allowed...What Hasn't Gone Right: 8th in total offense...9th in rushing defense...minus 5 in turnovers...only 3 sacks...1st Half Grade: D-...1st Half MVP: Schwern ...next up: at Amhurst.

Nescacman

Quote from: nescac1 on October 11, 2018, 10:05:30 AM
Thoughts on leaders for league awards at the (nearly) half-way point of the season?

I'd say Ryan McDonald is overwhelming favorite for OPOY, followed by Max Chipouras, TJ Dozier, Mark Piccillo, Jack Hickey (if he returns to health quickly), Jonathan Girard.

For DPOY, Andrew Yamin is 1, T.J. Rothmann is 1A, Greg Holt is 3.   Those guys seem way ahead of the field, but others in the mix might include Dan Negron, Cory Jean-Jacques, Taj Gooden, Joe Gowetski. 

For ROY, right now it's Matt Hersch and then everyone else.  Maybe Lockwood at Trinity but I think most of his stats have been accrued late in blowout games.

We agree with our friend NESCAC1's nominees however our picks would be slightly different:

OPOTY: Girard (Hartford State would be nowhere without him; has made Vazzano look serviceable); runner-up is McDonald then Dozier
DPOTY: Gooden (has had the same impact on the Wes D that Girard has had on the HS O; has elevated a Wes D ravaged by injuries much of the year); runner up is Holt who has been a beast and then Yamin
ROY: We like Hersch also (why was this guy not starting from day one?)
Special Teams POTY: HS kicker Sachse; Cont Punter Wagner runner-up
HCOF of the Year: TTUN's very own HCOF Raymond

hamfan88

Hersch looks legit, most talented QB Colby's had since Ciero, IMO.

Nescacman

Quote from: hamfan88 on October 12, 2018, 10:17:10 AM
Hersch looks legit, most talented QB Colby's had since Ciero, IMO.

We agree...for Hersch to be doing what he is doing with the level of talent he has around him (1 legit threat at  RB and 1 legit threat at WR) and a subpar O-line carries some weight with us...Let's hope he doesn't follow in Ciero's footsteps...

ColbyFootball

Rumor has it NBC that the Colby coaching staff destroys all video evidence immediately following all games...perhaps Colbyfootball can confirm that?!?
[/quote]
I'm responding, although I believe your comment may have been in jest.

I've never heard of video being destroyed by the previous coaches, and don't know what this staff might do under the new HC. Despite my well known feelings about Michaeles (all justified despite some posters without personal knowledge feeling otherwise), I could never see Michaeles or his staff destroying film.

Nescacman

Quote from: ColbyFootball on October 12, 2018, 03:47:09 PM

I'm responding, although I believe your comment may have been in jest.

I've never heard of video being destroyed by the previous coaches, and don't know what this staff might do under the new HC. Despite my well known feelings about Michaeles (all justified despite some posters without personal knowledge feeling otherwise), I could never see Michaeles or his staff destroying film.
[/quote]

Sense of humor Mr. Colby...sense of humor.... ;D

Nescacman

2018 Week #5 NESCACMAN Preview

Welcome to Week #5 in the NESCAC...in "the league where they pay to play". We were 4-1 in week 4, are 16-4 on the season, and are 175-50 in our 5-year career (.777 winning pct.). Our only loss last week was picking Middlebury to upset Amhurst. MID showed their true colors. We will not be making that mistake again. Another ho-hum slate of games with at least 3 blow-outs...this week, the highlight is Hartford State hosting undefeated Tufts in the NESCAC game of the week...

Wesleyan at University of Bates (Lewiston Campus): UBates O has struggled all year...triple option QB running the Air Raid offense has not worked yet... UBATES is last in the 'CAC in total offense and 9th in total defense...Wes has not played a complete game since game 1 against Middlebury... "How UBates Wins": Story doesn't change...The 'Cats need to play a full 60 minutes and get the offense going to keep the defense off the field...Teams have been passing on Wes so UBates may need to air it out to win...defense needs to put stop  Piccirillo at all costs..."How Wes Wins": Mix-up the pass and the run, control the clock and wear down the undermanned UBates defense... defense shuts down the hapless UBates offense...We think Wes, like TTUN has too many weapons and will win their second game in a row.

Wes 35 UBates 14
Weather: AM showers. High of 48.

Colby College at Amhurst College: Amhurst goes for the sweep of the C-B-B...continues their quest for an undefeated season...Amhurst is 2nd n 'CAC in total D and points allowed...Colby comes in 0-4 and are near the bottom in total offense and points scored...defense is not much better...Jake Schwern is 4th in the NESCAC in rushing and is averaging 90 yards per game... FY Matt Hersch is playing well at QB ..."How Amhurst Wins": Play the same game they have played all year; conservative O and great defense...don't look ahead to their week 6 Little 3 match-up against Wesleyan... "How Colby Wins": Give Hersch time to throw to keep Amhurst honest...Get Schwern going on the ground....control the clock...stop the Amhurst run and force Eberth to pass...We think Amhurst's defense is too much for the young Mules.

Amhurst 31 Colby 7
Weather: Light rain in the AM. High of 53.

Bowdoin College at Hamilton College: Never has the outcome of a game been more dependent on whether one player plays...if Nate Richam plays, makes this an entirely different game...Bowdoin is last in Total Defense...they are 2nd in passing O...Hamilton is 9th in total offense and 8th in total defense... "How Bowdoin Wins": Assuming he plays, Richam needs to have a big day...QB McCrum has a good day and avoids interceptions... for a change the Bowdoin defense shows up..."How Hamilton Wins": Defense shuts down Richam and forces McCrum to pass....The offense led by Gray throws to Schmidt and Buddington and runs well enough to keep Bowdoin honest... This game has all of the signs of a shoot-out...we'll go with the home team and better QB in a close one...Last Team with the ball could be the winner.

Hamilton 31 Bowdoin 28
Weather: Showers. High of 48

Middlebury College at TTUN: Another brick in the wall for TTUN...MID gets to play TTUN at exactly the wrong time...TTUN is riding high...MID is uncharacteristically 6th in passing and leads the NESCAC in INTs thrown...Defensively, MID is 6th in yards and points per game...TTUN is 3rd in total offense, 1st in rushing offense and 4th in total defense ..."How TTUN Wins": They will  run Dozier and mix in some passes to Stola...TTUN will dare MID to pass and try to force some INTs by the inconsistent MID QBs..."How MID Wins": Same every week....Avoid turnovers, especially INTs...Jernigan uses his legs to keep TTUN honest...use Banky and Cosolito more...defense stops Dozier running the ball and forces TTUN to try and win through the air. We think TTUN continues their winning ways as they head into the meat of their schedule...

TTUN 35 Middlebury 21
Weather: Light Rain. High of 49.

NESCAC Game of the Week

Tufts University at Hartford State College: Great GOTW...Tufts leads the 'CAC in points allowed and HS is #4...HS is #1 in total defense and Tufts is #3...HS is #1 in points scored and Tufts is #4...HS is #1 in Total offense and Tufts is #2...Game will come down to TOP, penalties and turnovers...In turnovers, HS is plus 2 and Tufts is plus 3...in penalties, Tufts is #7 and HS is #8...in TOP Tufts is 4th and HS is 5th..."How Hartford State Wins": On offense, run Chipouras and Vazzano completes a couple of long ones to Girard...Defense contains McDonald..."How Tufts Wins": On offense, McDonald will need to have the game of his life....Greg Holt and the defense needs to keep the game close...they have been very good this year....need to force some turnovers....This is a very even match-up...we give the edge to the home team....Jumbo's dreams of going unbeaten go poof.

Hartford State 21 Tufts 17
Weather: AM showers. High of 54.

NESCACMAN's Picks
2018 Season: 16-4
2017 Season: 35-10
2016 Season: 32-8
2015 Season: 30-10
2014 Season: 30-10
2013 Season: 32-8
Career: 175-50 (.778 winning percentage)