MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

unanimous22

Titan Q

Quote from: unanimous22 on April 13, 2014, 05:59:14 PM
Looks like he has some size, but I really have to question the competition he plays against...

Always a fair question about a kid from a small school, but there have been a lot of all-CCIW players from the IHSA 1A/2A ranks.  Just in the last 5 seasons...

* Hunter Hill (Augustana), Byron
* Dylan Overstreet (IWU), Paxton-Buckley-Loda
* Brayden Teuscher (Wheaton), Rockford Christian
* Tyler Pierce (Carthage), Westmont
* Jordan Zimmer (IWU), Delavan
* Bryant Voilles (Augustana), Byron
* Zack Boyd (Elmhurst), Warrensburg-Latham
* Aaron Garriott (Wheaton), Bloomington Central Catholic
* Kyle Taylor (Millikin), Bement
* Matt Pelton (Augustana), Bloomington Central Catholic
* Travis Rosenkranz (IWU), Macon Meridian

Obviously if we go back in the history of the CCIW, there is quite an impressive list of stars from the small school ranks. 

John Baines has worked the Central Illinois 1A/2A landscape very effectively in his time at Elmhurst, both as an assistant and now the head man:
- Chris Martin (Eureka)
- Ryan Burks (Midwest Central)
- Brent Ruch (Blue Ridge)

...and others.

More times than not, superstar 1A/2A players end up being good CCIW players by their JR/SR seasons.  They obviously don't put up the crazy numbers they did in high school, but most seem to end up good players.

URockets

Quote from: Titan Q on April 13, 2014, 07:44:30 PM
Quote from: unanimous22 on April 13, 2014, 05:59:14 PM
Looks like he has some size, but I really have to question the competition he plays against...

Always a fair question about a kid from a small school, but there have been a lot of all-CCIW players from the IHSA 1A/2A ranks.  Just in the last 5 seasons...

* Hunter Hill (Augustana), Byron
* Dylan Overstreet (IWU), Paxton-Buckley-Loda
* Brayden Teuscher (Wheaton), Rockford Christian
* Tyler Pierce (Carthage), Westmont
* Jordan Zimmer (IWU), Delavan
* Bryant Voilles (Augustana), Byron
* Zack Boyd (Elmhurst), Warrensburg-Latham
* Aaron Garriott (Wheaton), Bloomington Central Catholic
* Kyle Taylor (Millikin), Bement
* Matt Pelton (Augustana), Bloomington Central Catholic
* Travis Rosenkranz (IWU), Macon Meridian

Obviously if we go back in the history of the CCIW, there is quite an impressive list of stars from the small school ranks. 

John Baines has worked the Central Illinois 1A/2A landscape very effectively in his time at Elmhurst, both as an assistant and now the head man:
- Chris Martin (Eureka)
- Ryan Burks (Midwest Central)
- Brent Ruch (Blue Ridge)

...and others.

More times than not, superstar 1A/2A players end up being good CCIW players by their JR/SR seasons.  They obviously don't put up the crazy numbers they did in high school, but most seem to end up good players.

Nick Samford (Elmhurst), Decatur St. Teresa

veterancciwfan

Michael Plunk has a lot of talent, very athletic and wants the ball in crunch time. If he contirbutes 75% of what Brent Ruch did at Elmhurst, he will be outstanding. As for Brady Rose, a pure shooter with a feathery touch. He can create his own shot and has decent point guard skills. Very smart and anticipates opportunities (unlike Starlin Castro). Has devoted a lot of time and energy into becoming as good as possible. Doesn't hurt to be a gym-rat son of a very effective teacher of all aspects of the game. I would like to hear the conservations in the Rose home after an IWU game for the next 4 years. I'm sure it would increase my b'ball IQ exponentially. :D

veterancciwfan

Regarding small IL high school b'ball talent, I'll repeat: Remember the name Ethan Happ, the 6'9' 230 lb. post player from class 2A Rockridge who Bo Ryan recruited. And going way back, some of you might remember Charlie Vaughn, Tamms H.S. in deep southern IL who starred  at SIU. He was a small school legend. Dennie Bridges tried to guard him when SIU played at IWU in 1959. I think Bridges held him to under 30 as SIU beat IWU 92-65. Hey, this is the off-season so indulge me!

badgerwarhawk

One of the things that always amazes me about D3 sports is that many of the athletes are from small schools and it's incredible the way they mature and how good of a career they can have. That's one of the coolest things about D3.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

clemac

I seem to remember a 7 foot blonde headed guy out of St. Anne.

URockets

IWU just lost an Illinois Class 2A recruit to Div. II McKendree College.

AndOne

Quote from: URockets on April 14, 2014, 01:03:22 PM

Details, man, details!
Some hotshot who didn't want to start out as a 4th stringer on the Green Team?
Details.  :)

URockets

Quote from: AndOne on April 15, 2014, 01:02:29 AM
Quote from: URockets on April 14, 2014, 01:03:22 PM

Details, man, details!
Some hotshot who didn't want to start out as a 4th stringer on the Green Team?
Details.  :)

Nate Michael (Dad is former Illini Tom Michael)
H.S. - St. Joseph-Ogden, Sr., 6' 2" combo guard
Travel Team - Peoria Irish

2014 Champaign News-Gazette all area first team.  Chosen to The Associated Press Class 2A five-player all-state first team. Averaged 18.4 points per game, was fifth in three-pointers (71) in area and SJ-O career leader in treys. Finished fifth in career scoring (1,244 points) at school. Fifth in area in free throw accuracy (84.3 percent, 122 of 144).

Player profile from cihoops.com -  Combo Guard Scouting Report: A high IQ, fundamentally sound combo guard. Michael is a skilled perimeter performer that is shifty in transition with the ball and, in the halfcourt, shoots with range and consistency.

bbfan44

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 12, 2014, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on April 12, 2014, 10:25:26 AM
Michael Plunk from Blue Ridge H.S. to Elmhurst...

Same high school as Brent Ruch.

Quote from: Titan Q on April 12, 2014, 10:25:26 AM
http://www.journal-republican.com/sports/prep-sports/boys-basketball/2014-04-08/blue-ridges-plunk-signs-elmhurst.html

Another journalist who doesn't understand how D3 works with regard to recruiting commitments. ::)

Greg, where does he go wrong?  I guess either everyone else who read this knows, or doesn't care.  I'm curious as to what you picked up on.  thanks

AndOne

bbfan44----

Perhaps Professor Sager or another of our learned posters might care to elaborate a bit, but basically there is no letter of intent in D3.

You don't sign anything, certainly not any standardized form. Commitments in D3 are verbal in nature. Also, unlike D1, the verbal commitment is non-binding. You can verbally commit to one school on day, and to another the next day. There is no penalty for changing your mind.   

Furthermore "signings" are usually nowhere near the elaborate affair portrayed in the article ("signed his letter of intent to play basketball (at EC) Thursday night in front of a large contingent of family, friends, and coaches.") Aside from not signing anything, D3 commitments are usually simply made by means of a recruit calling the head coach and advising him he has chosen the coach's school. Furthermore, many schools don't make an announcement of the "commitment" until after a tuition deposit has been received.

Lastly, a coach can never be 100% sure he is getting a kid until the kid shows up at the first day of official practice in October.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on April 15, 2014, 04:43:54 PM
bbfan44----

Perhaps Professor Sager or another of our learned posters might care to elaborate a bit, but basically there is no letter of intent in D3.

You don't sign anything, certainly not any standardized form. Commitments in D3 are verbal in nature. Also, unlike D1, the verbal commitment is non-binding. You can verbally commit to one school on day, and to another the next day. There is no penalty for changing your mind.   

Furthermore "signings" are usually nowhere near the elaborate affair portrayed in the article ("signed his letter of intent to play basketball (at EC) Thursday night in front of a large contingent of family, friends, and coaches.") Aside from not signing anything, D3 commitments are usually simply made by means of a recruit calling the head coach and advising him he has chosen the coach's school. Furthermore, many schools don't make an announcement of the "commitment" until after a tuition deposit has been received.

Lastly, a coach can never be 100% sure he is getting a kid until the kid shows up at the first day of official practice in October.

Precisely.

A lot of small-town journalists, especially, seem to be under the impression that D3 is no different than the other divisions and/or organizations that operate intercollegiate athletics. D1 schools have official signing ceremonies, and D2 schools have official signing ceremonies, and NAIA has official signing ceremonies ... so D3 must have them, too, right?

I don't expect every journalist in America to be aware of the fact that D3 student-athletes never sign actual letters of intent to play sports at their respective D3 colleges. Nor do I expect every journalist to know that D3 student-athletes are under no obligation whatsoever to play sports in college, that it's a "play for the love of the game" situation in which a student is free to choose not to play even if he or she was recruited specifically to participate in a particular sport or sports. But I do think that sportswriters should be aware of these things -- and that includes sportswriters in rural downstate Illinois, where it's not exactly unheard-of for a local high-school athlete to choose to continue playing his or her sport at a D3 college.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

This website is reporting that 6'1 shooting guard Eric Weimar of Hill-Murray School in the Twin Cities is going to Wheaton. Prospect rankings aside, I don't know anything about how this kid actually measures up in CCIW terms or what sort of competition he played in high school. My Minnesota friends tell me that Hill-Murray is much better known as a hockey school than as a basketball school.