FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on March 13, 2013, 01:25:39 PM
Difficult to stay focused on football in March, I guess. Hasa thanks for the info on the new recruits. Looks like the GC staff is going after size this year. Can never have too many, big, smelly OLineman. Hopefully ever ODAC team will improve with the incoming class. I know HSC is well into the recruiting activity and having some early success. Will not know anything definite until mid April. Only have three SEC transfers coming this year !!!!!!
You're welcome, tfa.  I was able to talk to Coach Rusiewicz and three of his student athletes on March 2.  They were optimistic about the upcoming season because of the returning lettermen and the recruiting class.  Coach Rusiewicz said he thought they'd be in the 35-40 range for incoming freshmen and around 100 players when practice begins in August.  My guess is they'll release the names of 5-8 recruits a week for the next month or so.  I'd like to see Guilford progress to something in the 7-3, 5-2 range ... we'll see.  Go Quakers!

tigerfanalso

As long as one of those victories does not occur on November 2nd, I'm pulling for the Quakers to meet your expectations !!!

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on March 13, 2013, 04:29:33 PM
As long as one of those victories does not occur on November 2nd, I'm pulling for the Quakers to meet your expectations !!!
Yeah, I know how you feel .. and thanks.  The Tigers have had GC's number for too long.  Maybe we can give you a game this season.  :)

tigerfanalso

It will be interesting to see how next season plays out. I've got to believe the Tigers will improve by at least two games, maybe three. Offense and defense will both be better, defense will be lots better. OOC schedule not nearly as tough with Huntingdon off the schedule and we don't have to travel to Lexington. Really good chance The Game will determine ODAC championship if everything plays out the way it could. I think BC is going to be really good as well and will be a big factor in how the season plays out. GC will upset somebody, hoping that doesn't occur in Greensboro on Nov. 2nd. E&H will be a tough out at home as always; SU and CU should continue to struggle.   

hasanova

tigerfanalso

HASA

Ran into a GC grad over the weekend and he is clearly convinced the Quakers will beat the Tigers this year.
Naturally I had to place a friendly bet on the outcome. The bet is a cold beer at a place to be determined
after the Nov. 2nd game. Since we both live in the Richmond area the loser will be forced to pay up !!!!

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on March 25, 2013, 05:58:58 PM
HASA

Ran into a GC grad over the weekend and he is clearly convinced the Quakers will beat the Tigers this year.
Naturally I had to place a friendly bet on the outcome. The bet is a cold beer at a place to be determined
after the Nov. 2nd game. Since we both live in the Richmond area the loser will be forced to pay up !!!!
Hey TFA.  I hope he's right ... but I'm not sure I'm ready to be in the "clearly convinced" camp yet.  lol  All indications point toward the Quakers being improved even more this year, but I know the Tigers aren't standing still either!   HSC beat GC pretty good last fall, 68-24, so we have lots of ground to make up.  Cheers!

tigerfanalso

True about last year but the Quakers gave us all we could handle the prior year down in Greensboro. HSC has improved its team with current recruiting and I'm sure everyone else has as well. I still see RMC, HSC, W&L & BC fighting it out with GC playing the spoiler. That might change going forward if GC can continue to keep kids in the program and continue its recruiting efforts. The ODAC needs five strong programs. I see GC and E&H having the potential to step it up.

hasanova

hasanova

The article says 23, but I think these 5 make it 24 new recruits for Guilford:

http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2012/contrib/20130401gx0p9h

tigerfanalso

Is GC the only ODAC school out recruiting ? I've seen, heard nothing from other schools. I guess it's too early or none of the kids have actually made a deposit.

Hasa, if nothing else, the GC staff is not being out worked by any peers. Keep up the good work.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 02, 2013, 08:55:14 AM
Is GC the only ODAC school out recruiting ? I've seen, heard nothing from other schools. I guess it's too early or none of the kids have actually made a deposit.

Hasa, if nothing else, the GC staff is not being out worked by any peers. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, tfa.  Coach Rusiewicz told me on March 2 that he expected 35-40 commitments and so far that looks to be on track.  His modus operandi seems to be to release 5-7 names every week throughout the spring to keep Guilford football visible and maintain interest during the off-season ... so far, I'd say it's working.  Chris Rusiewicz and his staff work hard ... I expect continued growth for Quaker football!

tigerfanalso

Hasa

What do you think the recruiting process looks like at Mount Union ? Seemingly they just pick who they want, including some that have D1 offers, and go play football. Probably more of a selection process than recruiting. How else would they be so good each and every year ? Maybe GC can get that that point !!!!

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 03, 2013, 05:44:04 PM
Hasa

What do you think the recruiting process looks like at Mount Union ? Seemingly they just pick who they want, including some that have D1 offers, and go play football. Probably more of a selection process than recruiting. How else would they be so good each and every year ? Maybe GC can get that that point !!!!
tfa, considering that Guilford has not won (in this case, tied) for the ODAC championship since 1997 and has never been to the NCAA DIII football playoffs, I think matching MU's success in the short run is quite a stretch.  I think 95% of the DIII football-playing schools would say the same thing. 

First, MU does probably "select" rather than recruit and, let's face it, Ohio and eastern Ohio in particular with its proximiity to Canton, is a football hotbed.  There are a lot of DI and DII talents who would see limited playing time at Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Miami (O), Youngstown State and Ohio U. who would rather have a (legitimate) chance of winnning a title at Mount Union over sitting on the pine elsewhere.  Success breeds success.  It is also, in my opinion, easier to build a national contender in basketball than football just due to the pure numbers.  Three great players, two good players and three to four strong bench players and you have a national contender in basketball .... I think the numbers approach 30-40 in football at the championship level.  It's no coincidence that MU and UWW have dominated the finals the last 7 years.

Give me 8 or 9 wins and a first berth in the NCAA playoffs at Guilford and I'll be more than happy for now!

abnrgr

HSC needs to be beaten down by somebody
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade