MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Bower-Malone barely plays tonight.  Injury?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

AO

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 25, 2020, 08:49:50 PM

Bower-Malone barely plays tonight.  Injury?
Sounds like they just gave him some extra rest for a pre-existing ankle injury.   He looked to be moving ok at the end of the 1st half, didn't play in the 2nd half.  https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20200225/drsquovontay-friga-posts-career-high-to-lead-mount-union-menrsquos-basketball-to-win-in-oac-quarterfinals?template=ampart&__twitter_impression=true

Dr. Acula

A great season capped off with OAC special awards.  Bower-Malone is POY and Fuline is COY.  Well deserved.  Friga was 1st team and Gurley 2nd team to round out the Raider honorees. 

As for the OAC tourney...I guess the clearest path to 3 OAC teams in the NCAA tourney would have been Mount losing in the semis to BW/Berg and then BW/Berg beating Etta in the finals?  But the actual scenario would probably be next best if JCU can beat Mount in the finals.  As much as I'm an OAC homer not even can I root for that to happen though.  Sorry Streaks, maybe next year! 

rscl70

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 28, 2020, 03:29:23 PM
A great season capped off with OAC special awards.  Bower-Malone is POY and Fuline is COY.  Well deserved.  Friga was 1st team and Gurley 2nd team to round out the Raider honorees. 

As for the OAC tourney...I guess the clearest path to 3 OAC teams in the NCAA tourney would have been Mount losing in the semis to BW/Berg and then BW/Berg beating Etta in the finals?  But the actual scenario would probably be next best if JCU can beat Mount in the finals.  As much as I'm an OAC homer not even can I root for that to happen though.  Sorry Streaks, maybe next year!

After last year, with Mount being snubbed for the tournament, I wouldn't count on anything except the OAC tournament championship to get into the NCAA tournament.
12-0 = 13

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: rscl70 on February 29, 2020, 07:49:06 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 28, 2020, 03:29:23 PM

After last year, with Mount being snubbed for the tournament, I wouldn't count on anything except the OAC tournament championship to get into the NCAA tournament.

I understand the reluctance but Mount is in and Mount is hosting next weekend (maybe the Sweet 16 if  things fall right).  This is one of the best OAC teams I have seen in my two decades plus of watching this league. Both they and Marietta will be in the tournament.

So, since I have put your mind at ease, might as well just lose tonight so we can get a third team in.  :D

Dr. Acula

Can someone more intelligent on pool C than me tell me how much it hurts Etta being behind Witt on the latest RR considering Witt lost and also has poor SOS?  Are they both still safe?

As for last night's game I'll tell you this much...JCU is a good basketball team.  If they had won I would not want to play them in the first round.  Sartain was just killing Mount the entire first half.  It seemed like he was drilling every 3.  Fortunately he cooled off in the second half.  And as much of a Mount homer as I am even I have to admit that I would have been incensed over a few of the calls against JCU defending Bower-Malone if I was a Streak alum.  He does a really good job of using his off forearm to create space when he's pressured, but sometimes he's too physical with it IMO.  There were a couple times that I thought they easily could have called him for pushing off instead of a block on the D.  Of course I was clapping and praising the great calls during the actual game!

Pat Coleman

It will definitely slow Marietta's progress to the conversation. Wittenberg will get into the field, though. Marietta has to be thankful it has that win against Albion to keep them ahead of Albion because I don't think anyone behind Marietta gets into the field from the Great Lakes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

raiderpa

The way Marietta finished the season and, after watching John Carroll at Mount Union, I believe that JCU is a more deserving team for a bid.  I think the same thing will happen to them that did to Mount last year.  I felt Mount really got hosed not getting in, and John Carroll  is in the same seat this year. The Blue Streaks are playing very well and could win a game or two. 

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: raiderpa on March 02, 2020, 11:40:29 AM
The way Marietta finished the season and, after watching John Carroll at Mount Union, I believe that JCU is a more deserving team for a bid.  I think the same thing will happen to them that did to Mount last year.  I felt Mount really got hosed not getting in, and John Carroll  is in the same seat this year. The Blue Streaks are playing very well and could win a game or two.

These are the 4 C's in consideration from the Great Lakes.

Wittenberg - .929 WP, .513 SOS, 3-2 rRRO
Marietta - .778 WP, .529 SOS, 4-4 rRRO
Albion - .808 WP, .530 SOS, 0-2 rRRO
John Carroll - .679 WP, .535 SOS, 3-4 rRRO

Using the criteria and regional rankings to order who gets discussed for at-large consideration....I just don't see how John Carroll ever makes it to the table for discussion. I agree that the Streaks are a great team and could win some tournament games but they'll likely be stuck behind Albion (who I don't believe gets in either) when the selections end.

bluestreak66

Out of curiosity, if John Carroll and Albion had been flipped in the final RR, does anyone think John Carroll may have gotten selected?
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: bluestreak66 on March 03, 2020, 11:20:11 AM
Out of curiosity, if John Carroll and Albion had been flipped in the final RR, does anyone think John Carroll may have gotten selected?

No.  I don't think they won enough games.  Their resume would not have compared favorably to Eau Claire or probably Amherst, still on the table.  Under .700 winning percentage was going to need a knock your socks off vRRO or SOS to get in and JCU's .535 wouldn't have been enough.  Like with VA Wesleyan, if they had beaten the top team in the region just once, or avoided one or two of those bad losses, they would've been a real contender.  Eight OAC losses was too many, even for the third place team.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 03, 2020, 11:28:05 AM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on March 03, 2020, 11:20:11 AM

No.  I don't think they won enough games.  Their resume would not have compared favorably to Eau Claire or probably Amherst, still on the table.  Under .700 winning percentage was going to need a knock your socks off vRRO or SOS to get in and JCU's .535 wouldn't have been enough.  Like with VA Wesleyan, if they had beaten the top team in the region just once, or avoided one or two of those bad losses, they would've been a real contender.  Eight OAC losses was too many, even for the third place team.

Could not agree more . . . . however, I think the easier path would have been to NOT lose to Muskingum (3-15 in OAC play) or Northern (5-13 in OAC play)  Flip those two losses and I think they are in the tournament.  The Muskingum loss (especially since it was their third straight loss to start the year and they beat 'em by 30 in January) is especially painful looking back at the season now.  The ONU loss is perplexing because they knew they had little margin for error as the season wound down.  Losses like the Heidelberg and Capital losses happen in OAC play - the middle of the pack teams are usually good enough to get the good (if not great) teams and they did just that. However, they were both at home and the Berg was in the month of February when, again, they already knew they had little margin for error.

So, when I look at their lack of a tournament bid with a very good team, I don't look at the committee and I don't look at a 2-4 records against this year's Big Two.  Rather, I look at these four names:  Muskingum, Northern, Capital and the Berg . . . and I get a stomach ache.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 26, 2020, 04:22:21 PM
I don't know why, but I looked at VanderWal's run at Etta.  It's really impressive to state the obvious.  He had three losing seasons to start as he built things up, but in the nine seasons since?  Good grief.  His "worst" season was 17-9, 12-6 in 2011-12.

206-55 (.789) avg. season 22.9-6.1
132-30 OAC (.814) avg. season 14.7-3.3
6 OAC regular season titles, 3 OAC tourney titles
7 NCAA appearances in 9 seasons including five straight with two elite 8 and two sweet 16 finishes

It's hard to pick the most impressive stat, but given the grind that the OAC is I think his current streak of 7 straight seasons at 14-4 or better in the OAC might be it.  And it'll be 8 straight after this season.  That's remarkable consistency especially in this conference.

. . . and don't forget that he inherited a program that was 0-for-the-OAC (or very close to it) for the 2-3 years before his arrival.  I thought he was too young and too whiny those first two seasons but he proved me wrong and in a hurry.  I don't think Coach Fuline was provided a much better base by Lee Hood but Marietta was really an afterthought when he got there.  Like you, I am very impressed.

raiderpa

Coach Fuline and his staff have done a wonderful job of building the Mount Union program, basically from scratch.  The Raiders were not terrible when he got there, but sub .500 seasons were becoming a habit.  He deserves great credit, as does Coach Kehres for bringing him in a giving him the support he needed to build a winner.  I believe he will make Mount Union a perennial championship contender and hope he stays at Mount for years to come.

Smitty Oom

As an outsider of the OAC, the program seemed like a “sleeping giant,” a program that needs the right jump start to become a consistently towards the top of their conference and a NCAA tournament team. This was highlighted by them showing their commitment to athletics, great football program that helps with school recognition, and being in a top tier conf like the OAC. Not trying to take anything away from Coach Fuline, quite the opposite in-fact, as I agree he has done a wonderful job with the purple raider basketball program. Not every coach would be able to provide that jump start needed.