MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsbsballcoach7

I've been trying to catch Mount when I can. They have so much potential, but seem to have a difficult time being consistent. Like you said Dr, the turnovers are killer. I really like the make up if this team though. With some good big men and really good guards, they have a chance. In D3, you NEED GREAT GUARD PLAY! Well, so levels really, but it can cover up other weaknesses. I like Fuline a lot, but was hoping to see some tweaks with the starting lineup vs non league teams to see if different personnel helps get a better start. Bowers-Malone, Gurley, Friga, and Painter are very good guards and exciting to watch.

I don't check this site often, but try to catch up with the team when I can. Go Raiders!

Dr. Acula

The inconsistency shows up today as Mount's 6 game win streak is snapped 68-67 at Berg.  Berg was 3-7 coming into today so this was a bit of a head scratcher.  It looked like MIAA Mount.  Just like in the road losses to MIAA squads Mount was plagued by poor shooting and the inability to defend dribble penetration consistently.  They shot 41% from the floor.  And just like at Trine is was just a straight blow by from the 3 pt line for a layup for the game winner.  In this case it was an and 1 to erase Mount's 67-65 lead.  Gurley did his best to carry them home with back to back massive plays (4 pt play and a pull up 3) to give them the late lead.  A careless turnover/foul hurt them after that and set up Berg's go ahead bucket.  Friga had a quick 7 straight points burst earlier in the half to spark Mount and keep them in it.  He and Gurley carried them today.  On to BW.

Dr. Acula

Nice bounce back win for the Raiders in Berea last night.  They're now 9-3, 4-1.  First things first BW needs to get rid of that trash PlaySight streaming service and use Boxcast like the rest of the OAC.  Their video feed was awful.  I'm talking 30 sec max between freezing.  Then it freezes and when it unfreezes it picks up where it froze and then a few seconds later jumps ahead to live so it was 62-61 and then it jumps and well now it's 66-64.  The OAC has a partnership with Boxcast now and I haven't had any issue watching any other OAC school's feed since that happened.  It's been really nice.

As for the game, I don't know what it is with BW, but it seems like any time Mount plays them nowadays one of their guards is unconscious.  Quiring finished with a career high 30 including 7-11 from 3 (he was 7-9 before taking two DEEP desperation three's in the closing seconds).  Mount jumped out to a 30-15 lead early, but BW dug out of that hole cutting it to 40-35 at half.  It was a very competitive 2nd half.  IMO the game changing plays were at 66-66 Mount got a 3 point play from Friga and a made 3 pointer by Poole back to back to give themselves some separation with 5:00 left.  They pushed the lead to 8 the next possession and only Quiring shooting the lights out allowed them to even get within 3 again.  Hill had his best game to date with 18 points on 7-11 shooting.  He looked really good including knocking down an open 3.  Gurley was hindered by foul trouble, but still put up 16 including his normal crunch time strong finishes.  Bower-Malone started off shooting cold, but smartly went to the rack to end up 4-10 on his 10 pts, 7 ast, 7 reb stat line. 

The interesting thing about this Mount team is that they really seem to ebb and flow with the competition level sometimes.  They've played their worst against some of the worst teams, but on the flip side they go on the road and win at Woo, JCU and BW already.  Winning on the road in the OAC is tough, let alone at quality teams like those two.  If the loss at Berg was a half step back then this is a full step forward.   

Dr. Acula

I just noticed that Berg is now 3-3 in OAC play so Mount's loss on the road there is not quite as jarring as it originally looked.  The Princes are at least competent and not some cellar dweller.  Speaking of 3-3 JCU has indeed rebounded and evened their mark now.  Honestly, at the 1/3 point of the OAC season I think JCU is the 3rd best team.  IMO it's Etta, Mount, JCU, BW. 

I watched the Mount/Cap game yesterday and was not impressed with Cap (also 3-3).  Frankly, I'm baffled by how they scored 92 points on Wilm.  They didn't shoot well as a team yesterday, but I was just scratching my head who their scorers were normally other than Caldwell. 

Dr. Acula

I was watching some highlights of Mount's 105-86 win at Musky Wednesday where Dempsey dropped 45 on 17-25 shooting.  Good grief.  He's just out there crossing over hitting fade away 20 footers.  Pulling up 5 feet behind the 3 point line.  That's always the fear when you play the Fish is that he's gonna be feeling it.  Luckily Gurley was too tying a school record with 9 triples.

Dr. Acula

Well, it's finally here.  Etta (8-0) at Mount (7-1) on Wednesday.  Mount looked flat in the first half at Ott yesterday, but turned it on in the second half to pull away easily.  79-67 final, but they were up 21 when they cleared the bench with 3 minutes to go so the final was closer than the game actually was.  Hill's athleticism was on full display yesterday highlighted by flying in on the offensive glass for two handed dunks on back to back missed shots en route to a double double (10 pts, 14 reb).  The Ott radio kid put it best..."that's just not something you really see in the OAC."

As for around the OAC I'm scratching my head at JCU dropping one to Cap in UH moving both to 4-4.  Looking at the box score JCU shot very poorly.  Bad time for that because that's a game you need to win.  BW held off Wilm 87-84 which seems about right for two teams that looked pretty equal to my untrained eye.  JCU at BW Wednesday is an important game too.

Last note, at 12-3 Mount could (and probably should) be 15-0.  Not to be a pig, maybe 14-1 is a better statement.  At Berg (4-4) continues to lessen in the rear view mirror.  It's tough to win on the road in the OAC so I get it.  It's a grind.  But losing by 2 and 3 points at the MIAA schools are games you should win 9 out of 10 times.  But they've gone 10-1 since so I realize I sound like a Mount football fan here!     

kiltedbryan

Yup, this is the big one in OAC play - and major GL Regional implications, too. Plus I tend to think Mount Union is being somewhat overlooked in national Top 25 conversation. I'm biased since I got to see them flay my Wooster Scots back before Thanksgiving, but the data agrees with idea that UMU should be in national conversation: Matt Snyder's data has UMU 9th in his DIII efficiency rankings, Massey has them at #11 and with the 10th best SOS to date in the country.

Both Snyder and Massey have Marietta #2 in their rankings...Should be a fun one on Wednesday.

Dr. Acula

I'm even more biased and I certainly think they're one of the 25 best teams nationally, but I also get it.  They're not a brand name in basketball so they need to make more waves to get the attention of the voters.  Plus they have 3 less-than-stellar losses that other ranked teams may not. 

If they beat Etta on Wednesday I'm sure they'll be ranked so they just need to take care of business.  And more importantly, if they hit the midway point at 8-1 with wins over Etta, JCU and BW in hand they will be in first place heading to the second half of the OAC slate.

kiltedbryan

Yup, you're right, for a team lacking the national pedigree of other programs, the three losses to date probably keeps UMU anywhere from off the radar to just off their ballot. I do think that while you'd rather be 13-2 or 14-1, none of the three losses look completely terrible. The 'Berg one is probably the "worst," but no real surprise to drop one on the road in the OAC.

You're right they'll jump into the poll with a win over the Pios...and if they notch that one, their three best wins (vs. Albion, at Woo, vs. Marietta) would be impressive.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I don't agree about "brand name." We can go through the Top 25 and those receiving votes and find a lot of teams that aren't what many would consider "brand names."

Second of all, many have had Mount Union on their radars. There has been thinking that the Raiders may break through with a stellar season, but they do have three losses that give voters pause - especially two in a row that haven't had a lot of polls or results to get away from. We are now at that point and Mount Union has been gaining points as a result.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Voters are definitely aware of UMU, for sure.  Honestly, I suspect a single digit loss to Marietta will be a positive for them, ranking-wise.  Obviously not as good as a win, but a good showing will improve their standing as well.  I have them right on the cusp - not yet enough wins to outweigh the losses, but the team controls how that changes.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

kiltedbryan

Well, Mount Union wasn't able to manage a single-digit loss, or really even able to keep it close at all. Instead, the Raiders ran Marietta right out of the building, winning going away by *37*.

Marietta 70
Mount Union 107

Not a typo. Biggest difference on the stat sheet was 3-point shooting: Marietta was a paltry 3-15 (20%), while Mount Union hit 19-35 (54%). Marietta also was only 16-27 (59%) at the line.

Dr. Acula

That might be enough to overcome the three losses.

monsoon

Quote from: kiltedbryan on January 22, 2020, 08:47:51 PM
Well, Mount Union wasn't able to manage a single-digit loss, or really even able to keep it close at all. Instead, the Raiders ran Marietta right out of the building, winning going away by *37*.

Marietta 70
Mount Union 107

Not a typo. Biggest difference on the stat sheet was 3-point shooting: Marietta was a paltry 3-15 (20%), while Mount Union hit 19-35 (54%). Marietta also was only 16-27 (59%) at the line.

:o

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season has reached the point where many conferences are making the turn into the second half of their double-round robins. The landscape of those conferences has gotten a little more in focus ... and there are some surprises.

Thursday on Hoopsville, we chat with a few coaches whose teams are on top of their conference races either surprising many with that simple fact or getting there with surprising outcomes.

Plus, we talk to a coach (whose team happens to be leading their conference as well) who become a head coach in a rather surprising manner. How she adapted and now finds herself in Division III and how the coaching community also came to her aid.

There is also breaking news out of the NCAA Convention regarding regional realignment and expansion. And much more to get everyone up to speed.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show LIVE starting at 7:00 pm ET in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2RjGcJP (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/jan23)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

Thursday's show primarily covers the East, Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and West Regions while also featuring a women's coach in the WBCA Center Court segment. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Mike Fuline, Mount Union men's coach (NABC Coach's Corner)
- Jacey Brooks, Cortland women's coach
- Kristina Danella, Keyston women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Alecia Parker, Pacific women's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.