MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Greg... the method of communication is called 'handwriting on the wall'...  but hey, I thought the discussion was done.. I admit being outnumbered...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Yikes Eureka getting crushed at Rockford.... makes my trip up to Monmouth seem fruitless before I even undertake it... ECRed, what happened...Really thought this game would be close....

hopefan

Wow.. in the mean time, Iowa Wesleyan even with Carthage at halftime, 43-43.... that would really be something if.....

allamericanredhead

I got Hope's back on this one. Most SLIAC schools use the JV to get kids in school and get their tuition money. Let's be honest here, if JV teams helped the varsity, D I teams would have them. Come on Denny, Lee often would bring in a whole new team at Christmas and those kids would play right away, many of them right off the street. Heck, kid could be starting one day on the varsity and not see the court the second semester, let alone working their way up from JV. Let's be honest wearing a Fontbonne JV uniform ain't worth 40K a year.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: allamericanredhead on November 13, 2015, 10:33:00 PMLet's be honest here, if JV teams helped the varsity, D I teams would have them.

Apples and oranges. D1 and D3 have little or nothing in common in terms of programmatic issues.

Quote from: allamericanredhead on November 13, 2015, 10:33:00 PM
Come on Denny, Lee often would bring in a whole new team at Christmas and those kids would play right away, many of them right off the street. Heck, kid could be starting one day on the varsity and not see the court the second semester, let alone working their way up from JV. Let's be honest wearing a Fontbonne JV uniform ain't worth 40K a year.

That's one school, AAR. You can't extrapolate a general statement about D3 based only upon Fontbonne.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

allamericanredhead

I will agree that each school is different. But if JV teams did a program any good, wouldn't D1 teams have them? Just because of the numbers involved I would think they may have a better impact on a football program than basketball. My point is to say a kid should come to a school like FC and pay that kind of money so they can "wear that uniform" is false. Go play intramurals. The crowd watching will probably be bigger than a SLIAC game at FC. Most coaches couldn't care less about the JV.

Denny McKinney

You got your chance to kick a Dead man on a public forum. Must be satisfying. You want to take a shot a me? Fine! To come on here a rip my Dad and hide behind a users name is just sick. Why don't you get a Life. Your pitiful. The only thing you have ever contributed to this site are personal attacks. I'm  not going to waste my time responding to a stalker, again. Try being a human being for a change you troll. But, this site will keep letting you get away with it you coward. God has made it possible for me to beat Cancer. And, it wasn't to waste time feeding your illness.

Nothing you said was true. But, I guess your personal attacks adds posts to this page. That's all that matters. I will pray for you though. God knows somebody needs to.

hopefan

Darn, Darn, Darn... Carthage edges Iowa Wesleyan 86-84 in OT.... Would have been so cool for this tiniest of SLIAC schools to open with a win vs the CCIW... SLIAC over CCIW doesn't happen often...

Wonder if this result speaks to IWC being stronger than expected, or Carthage being even more in trouble this year than expected....

One stat line stands out to me.. looks like Chris Fowler had a tough game, fouling out with only 19 minutes played, 5 turnovers... this had to change up some of IWC's game plan...On the positive, IWC used a lot of players, got good production off the bench.. Fowler's running mate in the back court , Brock Butler, picked up the slack with a double-double 18 point, 10 rebounds...

Titan Q

Quote from: allamericanredhead on November 13, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
I will agree that each school is different. But if JV teams did a program any good, wouldn't D1 teams have them?

Because Division I teams have scholarship limitations that make it impossible to have enough players to truly field a JV team.  Division III teams have much larger rosters.

Over the last 25 years or so, I have watched Illinois Wesleyan (and other CCIW programs) use the JV program to amazing effect.  It allows freshmen and sophomores who are not quite ready for the varsity level to develop in real game situations.  Last night, for example, IWU's JV traveled to Black Hawk East CC and 10 or so guys got a chance to compete against talented JUCO kids and get better.  Today they play Olney Central CC.

I couldn't disagree more with the assertion that JV programs are worthless. Over the years, I've seen a huge number IWU kids develop as JV players and then become significant varsity contributors...the JV program is a huge part of IWU's basketball program.  I know many other strong D3 programs would say the same.

hopefan

SLIAC teams become more active today:

I'll be near home, watching as Blackburn comes down to Wash U....   The Blackburn site has a lengthy and descriptive introduction to the 2015-16 team, well done by whoever wrote it up... I think if BC has LEARNED to think "WIN" from their new coach, they will definitely be able to compete in the SLIAC... lots of athleticism and experience return, with some decent depth...  Wash U is at a different level, but just as IWC did with Carthage last night, the SLIAC kids could make a little noise in this one tonight...

Only Fontbonne plays at home today, hosting Morthland, a non-NCAA D3 school... Morthland coached by Ill HS Coaching legend and former SIUC Coach Rich Herron..  Hoping Fontbonne can open with a win to start the season off right

IWC plays Robert Morris Peoria...Great effort by IWC vs Carthage last night, losing in OT... hoping to see a win here

Webster travels up to Pella Iowa to play Central... long trip to open the season, tough to win... Webster beat Central, 70-65, last year in St Louis

Spalding plays at Berea... Berea is in NCAA-D3 provisional status... was very successful in USCAA last year... Anxious to measure Spalding's outlook with this one...

Eureka plays at Former NCAA D1 national champ Loyola Chicago  (ok, 52 years ago champ)... but this one is for the experience, because the point spread will likely be about 60....

haterinthehouse

new coach, same Blackburn. institutional issue. losers mentality. old coach was criticized for playing zone, but they cant guard. just a recruiting tool for the college that's it. college doesn't really care about their athletes or winning. new coach can talk big about winning, but that just shows youth and immaturity as a coach. winning is by product of doing a lot of things right and making very few mistakes.

Denny McKinney

Fontbonne new coach Lance Thornhill leads his Griffins to a 84-73 win over previously 5-0 Morthland. FU was led by Cody Ettinger 21, Dorhour 15 and Gentry 16. Great team effort. Gre Gentry played his best game as a Griffin.

WUPHF

Quote from: haterinthehouse on November 14, 2015, 09:30:21 PM
new coach, same Blackburn. institutional issue. losers mentality. old coach was criticized for playing zone, but they cant guard. just a recruiting tool for the college that's it. college doesn't really care about their athletes or winning. new coach can talk big about winning, but that just shows youth and immaturity as a coach. winning is by product of doing a lot of things right and making very few mistakes.

The right time to criticize a coach is definitely after his very first game.

Kollar was hired in June.  More than enough time to establish a winning tradition, doing all the right things while making very few mistakes.

hopefan

OK.. benefit of seeing a game at Wash U... if the Bears are beating up my SLIAC boys by half, just go over two blocks and watch Fontbonne play!!.... Good decision, as I got to see nice come from behind win for Fontbonne..

BC was missing their best player, Chris Davis, with a stomach muscle tear, but I'm afraid his presence wouldn't have made a big difference.... you have to defend that Wash U cutting offense, and it helps to match their size... BC couldn't, and it was layup after layup for Wash U in the first half... And while BC found ways to penetrate the bear defense, the big guys inside made BC change shot after shot.. Reed Rustin's perimeter shooting kept BC in the game for a while, but the game broke open in the last 5 minutes of the first half and it was over...

So I hopped over to Fontbonne and was surprised to walk in with Fontbonne trailing by 7 with 16 minutes left... but I saw Cody Ettinger hit a couple of threes, Gentry beat his man to the basket several times, and good ft shooting down the stretch to get the win... The Big No 1 for Coach Thornhill...Ettinger finishes with 21...

Elsewhere, Iowa Wesleyan Beats Robert Morris Peoria with balanced scoring......  Webster crushed up at Central by 30 with the only positive being new face Xavier Dortch coming off the bench for 13 points....Eureka beats the 60 point spread, falling to Loyola Chicago 84-51... and finally, Spalding gets a VERY good win over Berea, led by GASP, big Nick Trisko, 25 points, 15 rebounds, 31 minutes... Kevin Grey is one heck of a coach.....

WUPHF

You definitely made the right choice.

The first ten minutes of the second half were absolutely brutal.

There may be someone in the house who disagrees, but I thought the Beavers played hard throughout.

I wish we had a chance to talk.  I was going to explain my theory that everyone who commented on JV programs was correct, including you.