BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah, if he's not Scott Boras's nephew ( :D), another possibility is that he throws in the upper 90s, but is not yet a pitcher.

slick

Quote from: RSSmith on June 11, 2009, 04:49:54 PM
Boston drafted both Bayer and Hedman (d3baseball's pitcher and player of the year), so it seems that at least the Red Sox scouts agree with the d3 baseball gurus.  I hope both those guys have tremendous success because (1.) I'm a Red Sox fan, and (2.) it will justify how d3baseball sees its own.  Good luck to Jeremiah and Drew.

I got to know one of the minority owners of the Red Sox when both of our sons played for Trinity. He was talking about a current MiL'er drafted by Boston when he went to Trinity, so this is a fact. The BoSox and some other teams take some kids not only for their BB talent, or to fill rosters, but see them as a possible "organization" prospect that can move into management and have that invaluable playing experience on their resume. If you look around front offices, the NESCAC for one is well represented, and Pomona- Pitzer is a highly regarded school.
This particular Trinity player is currently at AAA and was the Red Sox minor league offensive player of the year in '07.

infielddad

slick,
I assume you are talking about Jeff Natale who was/is a terrific player. He not only played well at DIII, he did extremely well in the NECBL.  That was a year two of the top hitters in the NECBL came from DIII teams and both ended up getting drafted and doing very well in Milb.

RSSmith

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 06:13:10 PM
Yeah, if he's not Scott Boras's nephew ( :D), another possibility is that he throws in the upper 90s, but is not yet a pitcher.

Wasn't it last year that Boras's kid got drafted by the Cardinals when he didn't even star on his high school team?  A lot of legacy action in the late rounds.  Harold Baines was a decent enough outfielder at McDaniel, but there's no way the kid gets drafted if his name is "Smith".  I'm not sure that's a real favor to the kids, but that's a subject for another thread.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

slick

Infield Dad;  Yes, I'm referring to Jeff. First class young man, a born leader.

infielddad

Quote from: slick on June 11, 2009, 06:33:33 PM
Infield Dad;  Yes, I'm referring to Jeff. First class young man, a born leader.

You would know.  I have only seen him play against my son in the NECBL and a couple of times in Milb but I can verify he is a very good hitter and it does not matter much who is pitching.

mr_b

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 05:04:56 PM
A couple of years ago the White Sox spent a low draft pick on Ozzie Guillen's son - the kid didn't even play varsity at North Park!

Oney Guillen played in 40 of 41 games for North Park in 2006.  Click here to see his career stats.

His brother, Ozzie, Jr., appeared in 10 games for the Vikings in 2005.  Click here to view his career stats.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: mr_b on June 11, 2009, 06:59:28 PM
A couple of years ago the White Sox spent a low draft pick on Ozzie Guillen's son - the kid didn't even play varsity at North Park!

Oney Guillen played in 40 of 41 games for North Park in 2006.  Click here to see his career stats.

His brother, Ozzie, Jr., appeared in 10 games for the Vikings in 2005.  Click here to view his career stats.

Yes, Oney's stats are certainly draft-worthy!  I was referring to 2007, the year he was drafted - he wasn't even on the roster. ;)

[And I'm not seeking to mock the young man - I'm sure I couldn't hit even .227! ;D  It's just the way the late-round draft game is often played.]

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: RSSmith on June 11, 2009, 06:26:39 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 06:13:10 PM

Wasn't it last year that Boras's kid got drafted by the Cardinals when he didn't even star on his high school team?  A lot of legacy action in the late rounds.  Harold Baines was a decent enough outfielder at McDaniel, but there's no way the kid gets drafted if his name is "Smith".  I'm not sure that's a real favor to the kids, but that's a subject for another thread.

Just in case 'another thread' doesn't materialize, I'll make one comment. :D

If a kid is borderline (or has some other attributes; with Harold Baines, a hope that genes will eventually manifest themselves?), I'd think getting drafted would be an 'honor' and appreciated.  If I were Scott Boras's son, or Oney Guillen, I think I'd be insulted at the 'pity pick'.  But I guess it's always a crap shoot on how 'kids' will respond.

pomonaalum

Other Pomona kids drafted in the past have included Jase Turner - 27th round in '05 and Jose Cortez - 44th round in '02.  Hedman had better numbers than both, but obviously lots of variables.

Mr. Ypsi

Just saw a post on the IIAC board that the Cornell kid (Handke) that started the discussion is 6'11"! :o

Anyone else remember how little potential Randy Johnson seemed to have before age 26 or so? ;)

Sounds like someone taking a flyer on a 'project'.

mr_b

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 10:12:51 PM
Just saw a post on the IIAC board that the Cornell kid (Handke) that started the discussion is 6'11"! :o

Anyone else remember how little potential Randy Johnson seemed to have before age 26 or so? ;)

All they have in common is height.  Based on previous postings, it looks like Handke's career stats would not merit a look from any scout (10.00 career ERA in limited mound time). Johnson, on the other hand, was a fairly seasoned pitcher when he was drafted -- 67 games, 243 innings, 16-12 record, 206 Ks, 4.66 ERA, at the DI level.  There is no comparison.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: mr_b on June 11, 2009, 10:30:10 PM

All they have in common is height.  Based on previous postings, it looks like Handke's career stats would not merit a look from any scout (10.00 career ERA in limited mound time). Johnson, on the other hand, was a fairly seasoned pitcher when he was drafted -- 67 games, 243 innings, 16-12 record, 206 Ks, 4.66 ERA, at the DI level.  There is no comparison.

Agreed.  But late round picks are a whole different ballgame.

And as the (basketball) cliche goes: you can't teach height. ;D

carthage88fan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 07:06:02 PM
Quote from: mr_b on June 11, 2009, 06:59:28 PM

Yes, Oney's stats are certainly draft-worthy!  I was referring to 2007, the year he was drafted - he wasn't even on the roster. ;)

[And I'm not seeking to mock the young man - I'm sure I couldn't hit even .227! ;D  It's just the way the late-round draft game is often played.]

i saw oney play a couple of times that year, couldn't hit a lick,
but, boy, could he run

you can't teach speed

i seem to recollect that his old man was a slap-hitting base stealer, too

RSSmith

Also, he went to Cornell as a catcher.  I think you're right--very big, athletic kid worth a late round pick.
A walk is never as good as a hit!