BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSSmith

Quote from: RSSmith on June 12, 2009, 06:50:23 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 10:12:51 PM
Just saw a post on the IIAC board that the Cornell kid (Handke) that started the discussion is 6'11"! :o

Anyone else remember how little potential Randy Johnson seemed to have before age 26 or so? ;)

Sounds like someone taking a flyer on a 'project'.

Also, he went to Cornell as a catcher.  I think you're right--very big, athletic kid worth a late round pick.

My bad.  He went to Cornell as a basketball player and the "C" beside his name obviously meant "center" and not "catcher".
A walk is never as good as a hit!

wartburgalum

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 11, 2009, 05:32:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2009, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: wartburgalum on June 11, 2009, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: infielddad on June 11, 2009, 02:57:33 PM
Quote from: hbp on June 11, 2009, 02:40:02 PM
Someone take Drew Hedman.  I thought he would go in the first 25 rounds...

For anyone who thinks MLB scouts can translate DIII competition to Milb for position players, this pick at #1518 surely should provide answers.  It remains very, very difficult for position players to get drafted because how they perform cannot be measured on a gun. How they perform at a DIII level just does not translate or project to playing Milb, for those who get paid to make those decisions.
Congratulations to all the DIII players/pitchers selected.  Let's hope there are more who get free agent looks and sign very soon.   

I think that an even better gauge of how well scouts do with evaluating talent would be to look at the selection of the Angels in round 41 of Chris Handke of Cornell.  Career ERA of 10.12 with a whopping 21 IP and 11 Ks and 25 walks.  I congratulate the kid and all but I would have to think that there are probably, oh I don't know, at least a thousand more deserving players to at least be given the opportunity of saying they have been drafted.  Can someone please explain to me how something like this can happen. 

My guess would be it was a favor to someone.  A couple of years ago the White Sox spent a low draft pick on Ozzie Guillen's son - the kid didn't even play varsity at North Park!
Or another Wartburg-hater trying to raise the ire of Wartburg alums across the nation.   :D

Love it.  Thanks for laugh.  At least it makes sense now.
"Yup, we've got uniforms and everything, it's really great!" - Jake Taylor

wartburgalum

I am not trying to come across as bitter or anything like that.  I just cant stand how much BS plays into the draft game.  I suppose this is why I would never hack it as a scout.  Call me crazy but I think the notion of "because you have a big frame which could lead to some potential I am going to take a chance" does not make much sense.  I would rather use that late pick on a kid who has had to work hard and is a winner, especially when the talent level is there.
"Yup, we've got uniforms and everything, it's really great!" - Jake Taylor

infielddad

Quote from: wartburgalum on June 12, 2009, 10:07:46 AM
I am not trying to come across as bitter or anything like that.  I just cant stand how much BS plays into the draft game.  I suppose this is why I would never hack it as a scout.  Call me crazy but I think the notion of "because you have a big frame which could lead to some potential I am going to take a chance" does not make much sense.  I would rather use that late pick on a kid who has had to work hard and is a winner, especially when the talent level is there.

One thing  you quickly learn if your son plays Milb is that it is all business.  For the Teams and those that head their minor league system, they really don't care much about the past.  What they care about is what can you produce in the future or what  they project you might produce in the future.
A big frame and potential is part of what MLB scouting and drafting is all about.
A player can be a very hard worker, and a winner, and have produced big numbers at the DIII level, but if he does not project at the next level, it is very hard for him to get drafted.

chakote

Quote from: infielddad on June 12, 2009, 12:20:51 PM
Quote from: wartburgalum on June 12, 2009, 10:07:46 AM

One thing  you quickly learn if your son plays Milb is that it is all business.  For the Teams and those that head their minor league system, they really don't care much about the past.  What they care about is what can you produce in the future or what  they project you might produce in the future.
A big frame and potential is part of what MLB scouting and drafting is all about.
A player can be a very hard worker, and a winner, and have produced big numbers at the DIII level, but if he does not project at the next level, it is very hard for him to get drafted.

well said infieldad
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

BigPoppa

Chakote- Any word on Kitchens yet? I assume he will sign with somebody soon, even if he not fully ready to go yet. Too good of a talent to not play somewhere.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

chakote

Quote from: BigPoppa on June 15, 2009, 09:58:37 AM
Chakote- Any word on Kitchens yet? I assume he will sign with somebody soon, even if he not fully ready to go yet. Too good of a talent to not play somewhere.

no not yet we are still waiting and playing the waiting game, Dr. Yokem is saying strain and PT should fix it. so it is very disheartining playing the waiting game. Any suggestions????
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

DSKSlugger

Call every scout and their boss. Constantly remind teams of
Ur self. Ask to b onthe short list for post draft pitchers. And good luck

DSKSlugger

Chez Angeloni RHP Johns Hopkins was signed by the Boston Red Sox. He will be headed to Florida to play in the Golf coast League.

Jeremiah Bayer is currently with the red sox. Former enemies, Bayer beat Angeloni's bluejays in the national championship in 08, Angeloni ruined Trinity's perfect season and the bluejays nearly took that series - they will likely be teammates at some point.

Good luck to both.

RSSmith

On the General New England Discussion board, EasternCtFan posted the following:
According to... http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=558&stn=true&sid=t558
The lowell spinners will have jerimiah bayer, sean killeen, and thomas di benedetto all playing for them this summer along with player of the year drew hedman from pomona-pitzer college (ca).

Congrats to Killeen and Di Benedetto, and bravo to the Red Sox for signing so many d3 guys!
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Jim Dixon

Jordan Crystal signed a professional baseball contract with Texarkana Gunslingers on June 3rd.

Has made 2 starts and has a 2.69 ERA in 9.2 innings of work. 14 K's, 4 hits, 3 earned runs, 4 BB.

Texarkanaprobaseball.com.

rjburke

Also playing with Jordan is Justin Arminger (Salisbury) and Bryan Burke (Kean).

oldcat

according to my sources, Semel has signed and is now in Tennessee.

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html