BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

infielddad

Sure hope DIII players get a lot more "love" from MLB in the next 18 rounds!!!

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: infielddad on June 09, 2010, 12:33:20 PM
Sure hope DIII players get a lot more "love" from MLB in the next 18 rounds!!!

MLB draft does not give much love for DIII. Many that thought would be drafted will not and may sign as undrafted free agents or find a independent league to play for. Check where the recent DIII players of the year got drafted or not....
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

infielddad

Kelson Brown, a pitcher from Linfield, to Pittsburg in round 34.
Crash, I appreciate the difficulty for DIII players, especially position players, getting respect from MLB in the draft.
The process is even more difficult if they get drafted.
For a position player, they need to get a chance and reps/AB's to adjust from the velocity they see at DIII to the velocity they will see in short season ball. Even if they get drafted, some clubs won't let me have the reps.
Position players cannot go from putting up huge numbers against 82-85 mph velocity to doing the same against 88-95mph.
Scouts need to have some confidence and proof that a DIII player can compete and succeed against 90mph.  Hopefully the proliferation of Summer leagues and DIII players succeeding with help.
For this draft, it looks like DIII will have some problems getting to 20 players being selected. I hope I am wrong.

Just Bill

Ben Versnik RHP from UW-Whitewater just got drafted by Seattle. Pick no 1152 in Round #38.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

droppinbombs47

Nick Robinson, shortstop from North Central College in Illinois drafted by the Red Sox in the 39th Round

mr_b

Steve Dennison of Wheaton (IL) was another draft choice.

Hammer Ball

I count 3 players from Keystone selected - Arbello, Lara and Groff.

lordcharles

Quote from: Hammer Ball on June 09, 2010, 04:12:45 PM

They mention Sean Murphy P also on the Keystone College website.  I didnt see him listed on the roster though.

http://www.gokcgiants.com/news/2010/6/9/BB_0609102509.aspx

Hammer Ball

bcbleep

Wow, pretty impressive, 4 players from one division 3 team, that has to be a record!  Congrats to all of the division 3 players selected, well done!  I love seeing this.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: lordcharles on June 09, 2010, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: Hammer Ball on June 09, 2010, 04:12:45 PM

They mention Sean Murphy P also on the Keystone College website.  I didnt see him listed on the roster though.

http://www.gokcgiants.com/news/2010/6/9/BB_0609102509.aspx

I too checked the Keystone roster for a different reason but realized quickly that the roster is for the 2010-11 school year so any obe who played for four years would have been removed.

Jim Dixon

The 19 players drafted in 2010 is typical.  I think the normal range is 14-24 players with a dozen plus half the average.

The problem with D-III players is that they are drafted in the later rounds so any stigma that sets in is not due to a D-III tag but the late round draft tag.

Three of the four Keystone players were drafted by Arizona.  Maybe there was more exposure to the the team by Diamondback scouts. 

bcbleep

OK, thanks for the clarification.  I didn't realize 3 of the 4 were taken by the Dbacks,  still an awesome feat though.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: infielddad on June 09, 2010, 01:52:51 PM.
For a position player, they need to get a chance and reps/AB's to adjust from the velocity they see at DIII to the velocity they will see in short season ball. Even if they get drafted, some clubs won't let me have the reps.
Position players cannot go from putting up huge numbers against 82-85 mph velocity to doing the same against 88-95mph. Scouts need to have some confidence and proof that a DIII player can compete and succeed against 90mph. 

Your exactly right on the draft and DIII position players. The transition from hitting DIII pitching and add wood bats to that and it is easy to see how challenging going from DIII ball to Rookie ball is....and why so many fail.  That's why is better for most DIII players to play their 4 years in college and enjoy the experience. Majority of DIII players that sign are out of professional baseball in 2 years or less. Professional baseball is a cut throat experience for most that find out your teammates is after your job and dont care about you for the most part in professional baseball in the minors.

Players that are serious about playing professional baseball need to play in DI or top JC programs suceed there and sign when drafted. Too many guys pass up signing for more money or experience and get left never getting a chance from high school or DI.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

infielddad

Crash,
Very interesting thoughts.
In terms of Milb, I do indeed know the experience can vary by organization in terms of the "cut throat" aspects. Some organizations do pit player vs. player.  It doesn't matter if you are DIII or DI or JC.
To be honest, in those organizations that emphasize college players, it may not be quite that way. The experience our son had was not one where the players were "cut throat." In fact, to a large extent, the players were competitive, but quite friendly and supportive. Being a DIII kid having success in Milb was not taken lightly and did not go un-noticed. It was talked about with a fair degree of respect by teammates, opponents and the media. Certainly there were exceptions, but on a roster of 25, they were few in number.
The "cut throat" aspect truly is the business element coming from those that operate and run the team's MILB program.
For DIII players, unless they are the rare higher round pick, I completely agree they benefit by playing all 4 years of college.  For those who are drafted and sign after about the 20th round, as you say, some can be out of baseball the following Winter or Spring.
I know how much our son would have missed if he did not complete his senior year. Even a good Milb career, cut short by injury, but spanning 4 years would not have been worth what that senior year competing at the DIII level included.
Milb is a tough business.  Frankly, I think DIII players have a very good mindset to deal with the "business" aspect because they don't expect anything to be given and they know they have to earn everything they get. Their work ethic also will stand out and that earns them something in some organizations.
Position players that are serious about playing professionally and being drafted can co-exist with DIII baseball, provided they play and play well in top Summer leagues and get better every year of their college career. Scouts need to see them not just put up better numbers. They need to see more strength, more quickness, more range, better bat and hand speed and strength through the hitting zone and at least one MLB tool such as arm strength/velocity and scouts need to see  sequential improvement each year.
Clearly, with the baseball specific strength programs, training tables and the like, the route to Milb can be enhanced at the DI level.
Every year we see 18-20 "underdogs" come from DIII and I will continue to cheer for them knowing they really "earned" what came about over the past 3 days.
What lies ahead, especially for the DIII position player, is a level of competition and mental challenge for which DIII baseball does not leave them fully prepared.
They need to work harder than every other drafted player and be a quick learner who shows ability when that chance and opportunity occurs.