BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OshDude

Quote from: Jim Dixon on June 07, 2011, 07:56:36 PM
As we close on the final round, we have 5 pitchers, and one position player.

The first two came from the Midwest region, the last three, all right handed pitchers from the SCIAC

The score:

by position is 5 RHP, 1 OF

by region: 3 West, 2 Midwest, 1 Mid-Atlantic

No multiple school selections, no teams took more than 1 D-III player.  It is indeed possible that I missed someone.  I did see a Menlo Oaks player but the Oaks are no longer a D-III school this year. Nobody who transferred to another school stood out.
I'm going to track Chris Mazza from Menlo on the player master list. He'd been at Menlo since 2009.

El Hombre

Quote from: OshDude on June 07, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
Quote from: Jim Dixon on June 07, 2011, 07:56:36 PM
As we close on the final round, we have 5 pitchers, and one position player.

The first two came from the Midwest region, the last three, all right handed pitchers from the SCIAC

The score:

by position is 5 RHP, 1 OF

by region: 3 West, 2 Midwest, 1 Mid-Atlantic

No multiple school selections, no teams took more than 1 D-III player.  It is indeed possible that I missed someone.  I did see a Menlo Oaks player but the Oaks are no longer a D-III school this year. Nobody who transferred to another school stood out.
I'm going to track Chris Mazza from Menlo on the player master list. He'd been at Menlo since 2009.

What about the pitchers from Marietta, Gasser and Blaski?  Any draft probability?  Or the other SCIAC pitcher from Redlands, Johnson?

mideastfan2

Quote from: El Hombre on June 07, 2011, 09:11:44 PM
What about the pitchers from Marietta, Gasser and Blaski?  Any draft probability?  Or the other SCIAC pitcher from Redlands, Johnson?

the Marietta guys don't have a chance this year.  They are both Juniors though, so it may depend on how they do this summer in a wooden bat league, after posting such a great college season....Blaski is playing up in Green Bay (same team as Marietta closer Kyle Linquist, and 1st team All-American Rauh from Chapman; not a bad staff) :)  not sure where Gasser will be playing.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: mideastfan2 on June 07, 2011, 10:51:39 PM

the Marietta guys don't have a chance this year.  They are both Juniors though, so it may depend on how they do this summer in a wooden bat league, after posting such a great college season....Blaski is playing up in Green Bay (same team as Marietta closer Kyle Linquist, and 1st team All-American Rauh from Chapman; not a bad staff) :)  not sure where Gasser will be playing.
Collegiate Summer Wood bat leagues are great place for D3 guys to show the scouts what they can do. A good showing in these leagues gets players drafted.

Yacko, Cavan and Semel from Chapman all played for Green Bay and got drafted. (Cavan transferred to UCSB and then got drafted)
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

infielddad

Round 36 is just starting.
It does not appear there were any DIII players picked between rounds 30 and 35.
I am sure hoping this trend changes soon.

El Hombre

Do the Marietta guys not have a chance because they are juniors?  They are draft-eligible, correct?  Or do you feel they need to  play in a wooden bat league first to be noticed?  I would think that the "top pitcher" in D3 has received enough recognition and honors to warrant a draft selection.  

infielddad

Quote from: El Hombre on June 08, 2011, 01:08:31 PM
What about the pitchers from Marietta, Gasser and Blaski?  Any draft probability?  Or the other SCIAC pitcher from Redlands, Johnson?

the Marietta guys don't have a chance this year.  They are both Juniors though, so it may depend on how they do this summer in a wooden bat league, after posting such a great college season....Blaski is playing up in Green Bay (same team as Marietta closer Kyle Linquist, and 1st team All-American Rauh from Chapman; not a bad staff) :)  not sure where Gasser will be playing.

Do the Marietta guys not have a chance because they are juniors?  They are draft-eligible, correct?  Or do you feel they need to  play in a wooden bat league first to be noticed?  I would think that the "top pitcher" in D3 has received enough recognition and honors to warrant a draft selection.  

I think it is far less important for a DIII pitcher to be seen in a wood bat league than a position player.  For pitchers, the measure of the draft is far more objective. It is largely velocity seen on the gun and projection. How much more velocity and command? What are the upsides. Scouts don't consider DIII stats for most any player and being the top DIII pitcher is a wonderful recognition but one which scouts don't consider.
What they consider are the "tools"..with what is on the gun right at the top.
Position players need to be seen in Summer Wood bat leagues because the game at the Milb level is much faster than DIII. Showing the speed, quickness and arm strength and defensively being able to show those abilities against DI type Summer competition can help.
Mostly, however, Summer leagues(good ones) help scouts see the offensive ability of a DIII player against 90mph and better pitching/command, which is what is seen everyday nearly in Milb.
Position players who don't play in top Summer wood bat leagues are hindered in scouting for the draft, unless they have tools that like speed and arm strength that a scout just cannot miss, which is pretty rare in DIII baseball.

infielddad

Andrew Leachman of BSC was pick #1138 in round 37 by the Twins.

Jim Dixon

three more on the third day:

1084. C  Brian Henry, Keystone, Arizona (36 round)
1130. RHP Bradley Watson, Wartburg, St. Loius (37)
1138.  LF Andrew Leachman, Birmingham-Southern, Minnesota (37)

Jim Dixon

C.M.Stag

1143 RHP Alex Sunderland, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, SEA (38)

that makes 4 SCIAC pitchers taken this year

mr_b

1115  Nicholas Skala, C, Concordia University Chicago, Boston (37)

Jim Dixon

By my count, this gives us 12 picks through 47 rounds.

Jim Dixon

Jim Dixon

D-III players drafted in 2011

318. RHP Benjamin Hughes, St Olaf, Colorado (10)
322.  CF Cody Koback, UW-Stevens Point, Boston (10)
566. RPH Greg Ross, Frostburg State, Atlanta (18).
780. RHP Brooks Belter, Occidental, Tampa (25)
813. RHP David Colvin, Pomona-Pitzer, Seattle (27)
871. RHP Ian Durham, Cal Lutheran, Philadelphia (28)
1084.  C  Brian Henry, Keystone, Arizona (36 round)
1115.  C  Nick Skala, Concordia (Ill.), Boston (37)
1130. RHP Bradley Watson, Wartburg, St. Loius (37)
1138.  LF Drew Leachman, Birmingham-Southern, Minnesota (37)
1143. RHP Alex Sunderland, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, Seattle (38)
1192. RHP Corey Vogt, Keene State, Boston (39)
1448. RHP Blaine O'Brien, Keystone, Cleveland (48)
1523. RHP Ken Wiser, Linfield, Texas (50)