MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swat Fan #1

Anyone know if any decision has been made regarding this season? It would seem to me plans would have to be in place by now if they were going to play. I've googled and read everything I could but can't find an answer. Anyone in the know have any insights? Thanks.

Gabriel

No, but NESCAC has announced they are canceling the winter season so guess the CC will do the same soon.

WUPHF

Swarthmore College Athletics
@SwatAthletics
UPDATE: In light of the most recent campus update, Swarthmore will not be participating in intercollegiate competition in spring 2021. Read President Smith's announcement here: https://swarthmore.edu/presidents-off

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

nescac1

Big time big man recruit for Swarthmore, Aidan Godfrey.  Ranked 38 in New England ... very rare for players in the top 50 to go D3 ...

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/recruits/aidan-godfrey-2021

Swat Fan #1

Wow, seems he turned down Cornell and other D1 schools.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That honestly isn't as big a surprise for me. Many DIII recruits in other parts of the country make these similar decisions. Yeshiva, thanks in part to it's unique situation, got one of the better DI recruits in a similar way. It may seem crazy, but these types of recruits that are clearly looking at particular schools are picking DIII schools - especially top ones competitively and academically - because they know they will have a chance at conference and national titles while also getting a solid education. Many of these schools are also positioned with their coaches to help them continue playing pro in Europe or elsewhere while ALSO positioning the students for careers and jobs after college or the pros.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jaybird44

Hello friends!

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.
It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

nescac1

NEPAFAN

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm watching Georgio Milligan play PG for the US Virgin Islands basketball team on ESPN+ right now.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 29, 2020, 04:39:55 PM

I'm watching Georgio Milligan play PG for the US Virgin Islands basketball team on ESPN+ right now.

Man, what a nightmare that guy was when he played against your team, but fun to watch otherwise
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: CCD3Basketball on November 30, 2020, 09:40:47 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 29, 2020, 04:39:55 PM

Man, what a nightmare that guy was when he played against your team, but fun to watch otherwise

I watched about 15 minutes of the USVI game.  I'm pretty sure Georgio's regular pickup game in NY is a higher level of play.  He was the only reliable scorer, but he didn't even run down the floor to defend fast breaks.  Not quite "serious" basketball the context might indicate.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere