MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: hopefan on January 17, 2020, 06:40:59 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 17, 2020, 12:45:58 AM
Any reason why this was played tonight instead of Wednesday? I understand Principia not playing on Wednesdays...

Spalding is far enough away from everyone else in the league that they set up some of their conference road schedule in pairs... Play Thursday, stay west/north Friday, play Saturday....rather than a back and forth trip from Louisville twice in a week, they do it once for two games.  They do this 3 times this year.

Thanks. I guess I never noticed that in previous seasons.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

GU1999

After watching parts of the first half and all of the second, I thought this was the best iteration of a Spaulding team I have seen this year.  The previous games I have watched the team appeared less team centered and certainly less efficient.  Clearly this is not a team of good shooters.  Their focus on working for the easy shots was the big difference for me last night.  Lots of good big to big actions and as well as a nice amount of perimeter to rim back cuts resulted in numerous downhill rim runs.  Equally, I was surprised with some of the angles from which EU players were doubling the post.  A number of which led to un or lightly contested layups.  On offense, EU settled a bit too much for me.  Not all three are created equally, and they settled for some very high degree of difficulty ones.  A couple down the stretch looked like the JJ Reddick style full sprint, slam on the brakes, body floating in the air type of shot.  I know a few of these guys can hit that shot from time to time, but it is a huge gamble to take it in a back and forth game in the final three minutes. 

FT's were absolutely huge. 

I do think that EU is clearly the better team, but Spaulding needs to be applauded for playing a very cerebral and efficient game.

The conference race is crazy and will get crazier when EU comes out and blows the doors off of Webster.  I can only imagine the fire and focus we will see from Dakota and the boys on Saturday.   

hopefan

GU1999.... Spaulding-No......   Spalding-Yes.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Spalding's Jaiquan Edwards is clearly one of the better Freshman big men this conference has seen in a while... he rates VERY high in conference game performance so far with my tracking.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GU1999

Hope - Win a few more games get your name spelled correctly.

hopefan

Quote from: GU1999 on January 17, 2020, 12:29:49 PM
Hope - Win a few more games get your name spelled correctly.

Well.. they've started to head in the right direction.... ;)

hopefan

Huge Saturday in the SLIAC.... what are the repercussions...

Greenville at Blackburn.. Both desperate for a win in this game... one of those that could make the difference at the end of the season when determining tourney slots

Webster at Eureka...  A Webster win solidifies their hold on 1st place.... a Eureka loss continues an alarming downward trend.... on the other hand, a Eureka win is huge for keeping them comfortably within Tourney range, a Webster loss brings them back to the pack

Fontbonne at Iowa Wesleyan... a Fontbonne win solidifies a surprising rise to Tourney contention... an Iowa Wesleyan win puts them in tourney conversation, but still with a long way to go

Prin at Mac.... both playing for pride.... I hate to see either lose this game, but it's gonna happen.

Spalding at Westmin.... a must win for Westmin if they continue to aspire for a tourney slot, a Spalding upset would put Spalding back in contention...

WUPHF

GU1999

TheOsprey

Is the Prin. vs Mac. game ppd. until tomorrow??

hopefan

They did play.  Alternate site. Prin 92 Mac 84.   I just received score.

TheOsprey

Hey Prin. gets the win!!🤗
Thanks, hopefan.👍

hopefan

Hopefan SLIAC Player of the Week goes to Jaiquan Edwards of Spalding... and as he is a Freshman, he also gets the Freshman POW!!

Edwards started the week by leading Spalding to the stunning upset win over Eureka...20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 blocks... then when the rest of his team decided to take the day off and get embarrassed at Westmin, Edwards went back to work, 22 points and 11 rebounds....  Any non believers out there, just review every boxscore from Spalding's conference games... the kid PLAYS every night..

I had been under the impression that Prin's AJ Byrd was a Freshman (maybe listed that way originally?).. but see now he is a sophomore transfer.... He gets transfer of the week .... he had 31 points, 8 boards and 6 assists in Prin's loss against Greenville, then helped Prin to their first D3 and SLIAC win of the year
with 19 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists vs MacMurray.

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on January 18, 2020, 09:00:08 AM
Huge Saturday in the SLIAC.... what are the repercussions...

Greenville at Blackburn.. Both desperate for a win in this game... one of those that could make the difference at the end of the season when determining tourney slots  ooops at Greenville.. Greenville with the win, Blackburn now a bit under the gun

Webster at Eureka...  A Webster win solidifies their hold on 1st place.... a Eureka loss continues an alarming downward trend.... on the other hand, a Eureka win is huge for keeping them comfortably within Tourney range, a Webster loss brings them back to the pack   Major win for Eureka, very good game, helps Eureka more than hurts Webster

Fontbonne at Iowa Wesleyan... a Fontbonne win solidifies a surprising rise to Tourney contention... an Iowa Wesleyan win puts them in tourney conversation, but still with a long way to go   IWU easy, mystifying performance by Fontbonne

Prin at Mac.... both playing for pride.... I hate to see either lose this game, but it's gonna happen.    A leaky roof at Mac sends game To neighboring Illinois College;  Prin win :) :), Mac loss  :(

Spalding at Westmin.... a must win for Westmin if they continue to aspire for a tourney slot, a Spalding upset would put Spalding back in contention... Easy win for Westminster, Spalding falls out of things

hopefan

And a final note.. hats off to Illinois College for helping out MacMurray at seemingly last second... ice build-up and rain led to a leaky roof at Mac and somehow arrangements were made to transfer women's and men's games over to the other end of Jacksonville to Illinois College... Not sure how much earlier it was seen that there was a problem (I see a facebook note came out from MacMurray only at approximately noon on game day), but the coordination  to pull it off had to be significant.   Great to see cross-town rivals working together....says so much about both schools....

hopefan