FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: MUC57 on August 08, 2018, 06:01:41 PM

jknezek

Certainly can't argue with the outstanding academic reputation of W&L. Wish Mount had a little more of that. You give true meaning to the term "student - athlete". Not all of us went to our respective schools for the football team. I definitely did not!
Good luck to The Generals and Go Raiders. ☠🏈

Raiders as well. I'm of two minds about playing in Alliance again. On the one hand, it would mean we won the ODAC. On the other hand, if we do win the ODAC again, I'd prefer a little easier match up in Round 1!

jhahn201

http://athletics.mountunion.edu/sports/fball/2018-19/freshman-roster

This is all I found on the incoming freshman. If this is a repost or not accurate disregard and -k

Bombers798891

Quote from: MUC57 on August 08, 2018, 02:57:18 PM

Depending on to whom you speak, Mount Union has 135-140 Freshmen out for football. I have watched them for 2 days. They take up a lot of room on our new turfed practice field. Isn't that more than some schools entire team? I thought so!
Don't have a count yet on the upperclass population. Watched them this afternoon. I don't know enough about either squad to offer any insight. Maybe later.
Go Raiders! ☠🏈

So, according to the Mount quick facts, there are about undergrad 2,100 students, with a 50-50 male/female breakdown. So, 1,050 men on the campus. Even if we make the first-year class bigger to account for attrition we might get what, 300 first-year men, give or take? So about 45% of the incoming male first-year students are going out for football (give or take)? Is my math right on that?

Dr. Acula

Well, this is a first.  I've done the breakdown of the freshmen class for a number of years and this is the first time I recall Ohio not being the most represented state.  FL takes that honor with 46 players in this class.  Wow.  That's A LOT of recruiting down south.  19 states in all.

46 - FL
39 - OH
16 - MI
5 - NJ, TX
4 - PA
3 - GA, NC, NY
2 - CA, IN, KS, SC, TN
1 - KY, IL, WV, VA, MO

QB - 8
RB - 10
WR - 26
TE - 2
OL - 13
DL - 16
LB - 31
DB - 26
K - 5
LS - 2

JCUStreaks70

Just took a look at the freshly released Kickoff. I like what I see. Hoping that their projection of JCU going 9-1 and back into the playoffs plays out! I wonder who that one loss is going to be though!?!?!?!  ;)
Onward On!
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

oldtraveler39

Read the kickoff this morning and on Mount Union it listed the wide receivers & Luke Herrington name was not named, is he not back or was he just not listed.

mikefln

Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 09, 2018, 10:20:38 AM
  Wow.  That's A LOT of recruiting down south.  19 states in all.

46 - FL
39 - OH
16 - MI
5 - NJ, TX
4 - PA
3 - GA, NC, NY
2 - CA, IN, KS, SC, TN
1 - KY, IL, WV, VA, MO

That is huge covering of our nation.  I understand that this is not the 1990's anymore with hudl and stuff but damn that is a lot of resources used to be able to recruit and cover that much area.

resqdog

Nice articles about Poorman and Fulford in the Kickoff publication.  Also, Herrington is still there and is a Captain according to the Mount Union Football Twitter account.  He was mentioned in the Fulford article but not the team writeup.

edward de vere

Interesting on the 46 Florida freshmen, given the discussion here several months ago about some attitude problems.

D O.C.

Not surprised by Florida one bit.
Could see that coming the last couple of years.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: mikefln on August 09, 2018, 01:40:14 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 09, 2018, 10:20:38 AM
  Wow.  That's A LOT of recruiting down south.  19 states in all.

46 - FL
39 - OH
16 - MI
5 - NJ, TX
4 - PA
3 - GA, NC, NY
2 - CA, IN, KS, SC, TN
1 - KY, IL, WV, VA, MO

That is huge covering of our nation.  I understand that this is not the 1990's anymore with hudl and stuff but damn that is a lot of resources used to be able to recruit and cover that much area.

VK addressed this on the radio with Sam Borquin last year or maybe the year before(?) saying that it's largely thanks to the internet that they're able to recruit more states.  With stuff like Hudl and the ability to instantly send coaches game film it changed everything.  I would be surprised if they do much "boots on the ground" recruiting outside of OH, FL, PA and with VanHavel now MI.   

Pokerplayer

Florida maybe ripe for recruitment because there are no schools that play Division III football.

MUC57

Pokerplayer

Welcome to the boards. Yes, we have talked about the fact that there are no Dlll schools in Florida. If you can't play with the "big guys", Florida, Miami, or Florida State, go north.
You'll be seeing me from time to time on this board. Just so you know, I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things. But I am a Mount Union alumnus, so ............ Go Raiders! ☠🏈
Oh! And a +k just for the hell of it. Also maybe an encouragement to keep posting and keep informed, thanks to Pat Coleman and his staff and the other posters on here. Go Everybody!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Dr. Acula

Quote from: D O.C. on August 10, 2018, 01:07:28 AM
Not surprised by Florida one bit.
Could see that coming the last couple of years.

I think the sudden substantial increase is a little surprising.  FL has been the second largest recruiting source for years now, but seeing it overtake OH was surprising IMO.  Equally as surprising was the lack of western PA recruits. 

HCAlum86

So much harder to retain those Florida players, from my experience.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.