BB: SUNYAC

Started by Ralph Turner, January 19, 2007, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdex

As we were wondering over on hoops board: Is Perioli playing baseball? Knee injury sidelined his entire all-star cage season. Oswego still in TBA roster mode

Let it go, coach, all on up-and-up at Cortland

d3fan039

does it really matter if perioli is playing......with the pitching oswego has they couldnt beat a high school team.....no ofense but there numbers werent too impressive as a whole.

jdex

frozenrope

This is my first post but just wanted to add my two cents.

Plattsburgh has been the number 3 team in the Sunyacs for the past 2 years. The playoff games they lost to oneonta were by one run two years in a row. That puts them a bad hop or lucky break away from a playoff victory two years in a row. (note cortland beat them easily) . The comment about the 6 pre season all americans does seem a little absurd i would like to know how that list is compiled. But hughes and kowalowski both put up great numbers. I believe kowalowski was at cortland in 05 is that correct?

Also plattsburghs 2004 record was 14-23 (7-7 sunyac) 2005 25-13 (8-6 sunyac) and 2006 27-14 (10-4 sunyac) it does not look like they have yet to hit their ceiling potential. This is a very new program by the way. Im looking at their record from last year and 6 of their 14 losses are by 2 runs or less. that could put their record at 33- 8 not to shabby the potential is there for a surprise. they lost hoffman and waldron who both had good numbers but I'm sure that their are a few kids waiting to get their shot. Such as gent and painter. gent was 5-1 with a 4.10 era. A year to mature you never know.

Only three freshman that is not a good thing for them looks like some Hs players should give the school a look they obviously have a decent team and may be able to jump right into the lineup next year. their roster also shows a player who did not play last year but is on the team roster this year.

Lots of potential maybe they will break cortlands choke hold on the conference. Cortland though is the obvious favorite for sunyac champ. ITs amazing how many transfers they are able to get a hold of. The coaching there does a great job year in and year out. Coach Doorey does a great job over at plattsburgh as well. A new program jumping to the front of the pack is something you dont see too often.

Let me know what you think......thanks

John McGraw

Sure, they played Oneonta tough, I'll give them that.

But they've been beat on by Cortland the last few years by some pretty handy margins - in SUNYACs. 18-0 in 2004, 7-1 in 2005 and then 9-3 last year. Regular season's have been a little bit closer at points.

Gent and Painter's numbers are OK, they didn't pitch well the few time's I saw them against Cortland.

No idea if Kowalowski was at Cortland, but if he was, he didn't see the light of day off the bench because I remember no one by that name playing for the Dragons in 2005.

d3fan039

John,

you couldnt have said it better. If Plattsburgh wants to earn respect they need to win games when it counts. Have they ever won a playoff game???? It isnt just Cortland taking it to them....I believe Oneonta and Brockport have as well. Gent and Painter did have good numbers but who were they pitching against.....i dont recall it being Oneonta or Brockport and I believe one of them threw against Cortland and got shelled giving up 13 or so hits and a ton of runs. I agree a year of experience should help gent and painter.....but if Plattsburgh wants respect they need to win when it counts. Brockport has 11 out their 18 loses by 2 runs or less that puts them at 37-8. Cortland has 4 of their 9 by 2 runs or less that puts that at 43-5......so i dont by they record you said plattsburgh could of had.

d3fan039

Plattsburgh 0-8, outscored 71-16 in the SUNYAC toruney the last 4 seasons.

If plattsburgh is expecting to take that next step they must turn that around....I cant see this team competing with Cortland....if theres one team that put it to them in years past it was Cortland and I expect this to happen again. Good teams find ways to win the close games.....when Plattsburgh starts doing that in the postseason then ill consider them a serious contender in this conference.....until then they'll just be a team that puts together some solid regular season numbers, but cant get it done when it counts

Bob Maxwell

WOW, two brand new posters to the SUNYAC board... HotSouptrio and Frozen rope... WELCOME to both of you!!!  I look forward to hearing your viewpoints and opinions.

This is all a good healty exchange of ideas... so don't be scared away by others with opposite opinons.

Hot Soup,
Your correct... Mike Sparks was one of the 1B's for Brockport last year.  He basically split the position with Rob Maxwell (yes, he is a relation to me).  If you take away the games that Maxwell pitched in they pretty much split the position evenly (55-60/40-45 - Sparks/Maxwell).  Sparks finished many of the games that Maxwell started as a late inning defensive sub or after a pinch runner...  Also a half dozen or so games were played by Moran and Biviano...

Mike will be missed, as he is a superb defensive first baseman, a reliable hitter with a knack for getting the timely hit, and is a leader and solid character person.  He will be hard to replace within the team chemistry... as he is a great young man!

Frozenrope,
I understand what your saying about Plattsburgh, coach Doorey has done a terrific job of building a program in the 6 years since they begann playing.  I respect them on the field as they always play the game hard and are competative... and they beat Brockport twice last year in two very good games.   :-\

However, I don't think that your reference to 6 of their 14 losses being by two or less runs really has any bearing on where they are.  That can be applied to a lot of teams...

If you apply that criteria to Brockport in the 2006 season, 11 of their 18 losses were by 2 or fewer runs.    If we say that those 11 lossses were wins, that would make their record 37-7 overall, 12-2 in the conference and they would have won the SUNYAC championship in the final game against Cortland.

Additionally, Brockport played a much tougher schedule then Plattsburgh did, as 7 of those 11 were to teams who were nationally ranked at the time they played the game (they also won 3 games against nationally ranked teams so they were 3-7).   I am not as familiar with Plattsburghs schedule from last year, but at a quick glance they played 4 games against nationally ranked teams (3 against Cortland adn one against RPI, for an 0-4 record)...

So the arguement can be made for many teams that they were close... hopefully for Brockport, those close games against strong teams will translate into having paid their dues, learning and winning more of those games this year.

However, you never know what will happen, as this year is a new team, with chemistry that has to once again bond, so we will see what happens...

AGAIN, welcome to both of you... I look forward to hearing your viewpoints and opinions!

Bob Maxwell

Another quick comment reading John's and Dr Baseball's posts... To advance in the tournament, you need to be more then a one pitcher team.  The number 2, 3 & 4 starters need to be able to beat the good teams too.

I was sitting in the bleachers last year when the Plattsburgh team came back to the field to play the the game against the loser of the Brockport-Cortland game.  I heard at least a half dozen of them make a very strong statement of discouragement when they saw that Cortland was losing the game. 

They thought they would be playing Brockport, and when they found out it would be Cortland, they pretty much lost the game before it started because they didn't want to paly Cortland...

As John and Dr. BAseball indicate... they need to get over the mental hump of Cortland.

Jim Dixon

Baseball is 90% mental—the other half is physical.

I was at one of the Championship Series where the first 10-11 games were won all by the visiting team.  This was the only instance I can think of why one coach with the choice take visitors over home team.  They started the game with 3 runs in the first and the game was over after 1/2 inning becasue one team thought they would win and the other had their doubts.

d3fan039

Player of the year: Tim Wilson, Brockport
Pitcher of the year: Jim Dougher, Cortland
Rookie of the year: Andy Gardner, Cortland

C Mike Zaccardo, Cortland & Dan Pecora, Oswego
1B Todd Hughes, Plattsburgh, Jim Kunkemoeller, Fredonia & Travis Robinson, Cortland
2B Josh Hicks, Cortland & Bryan Recchia Fredonia
SS Tim Wilson, Brockport & Tom Farrel, Oswego
3B Anthony Shallo, Brockport  & John DeKams, New Paltz
OF Brandon Galutz, Oneonta
OF Dan Maycock, Cortland
OF Jamie Rose, Brockport
OF Nick Perioli, Oswego
OF Tony Coromato, Cortland
UT Klye Kowaloski, Plattsburgh
UT John Giametta, Cortland
P Jim Dougher, Cortland
P Rob Maxwell, Brockport
P George Jweid, Cortland
P Erik Weber, Oneonta

frozenrope

Well its true lots of teams lose close games and good teams do indeed find a way to win. The line about team chemistry is 100% true also. A good team does not neccessarily have to have the best players to win the players they do have need to come together, realize their roles and play like a team. A team that plays hard and plays together can beat a better team.

Do not take what i am saying the wrong way cortland is the favorite hands down, they beat up plattsburgh basically every time they have played. Im looking at their potential. They have a shot to be a number one team if they play up to their abilities. they need to want to beat cortland and cannot be scared of playing them. I would like to see cortland get beat it would give us a little more to talk about.

I  would find it disappointing as a coach to hear my players basically scared to have to play cortland instead of brockport. If i was coach doorey i would want to play cortland in an important game. his program is in a solid number three spot in the sunyacs. But if his team cant beat cortland they have no chance of moving to the top. im sure thats where he wants to be.

nybaseballfan22

Hello everyone i am new to this posting site. I am a former empire eight assistant coach. I just wanted to reply to the people who were kind of bashing matt kelly the new addition to plattsburgh. I was actually his pitching coach at hartwick. Expect him to be a big factor in this league this year. His numbers at hartwick were bad ill give you that but his first two college starts he gave up a combined 20 earned runs. His last four starts he had an era under 3.5. He pitched against nationally ranked Ithaca and we got beat 6-0 all 6 of his runs unearned and he went 6 innings giving up only four hits. He also shut down Oswego who is in your conference and he beat the team he is playing for now, Plattsburgh. With him and his buddy dahlin, from what he told me, they are going to be an extremly tough 1-2 punch, and if the gent kid can be a solid 3 i think they will be tough. Gonna be a fun sunyac year from what it looks like

Bob Maxwell

NYFan... welcome, another informed poster... great to hear you comments.

Well, thanks for the insight on Matt Kelly... I don't know if he was being bashed by anyone... more like with the numbers he had on a team that had a poor record, we were questioning if he would be able to fill the gap left by the departure of Hoffman.  Your insight puts a brighter light on it as you've given us some background information as to how he arrived at the numbers.  sounds like after a very rocky start, he figured out how to pitch in college...  good for him!

From what you say, he should fit in nicely as Plattsburgh has 129 innings to fill...  and help carry some of the load that Hoffman shouldered for Plattsburgh.  Pitching is the one thing that was questionable on the Plattsburgh team... not the ability of the pitchers there, just who will replace the lost innings of Hoffman and Waldron.

Do you have any insight into the roster numbers on the Plattsburgh team?  I only see 8 pitchers listed...  that is a pretty thin staff.

Are you coaching somewhere else now?  Or in the real world of work?

Glad you decided to post, look forward to your insights through out the year... it will be an interesting year!

Bob Maxwell

Dr. Baseball,

You picked Josh Hicks from Cortland... do you know something about him?  I don't know anything about him.  Can you fill us in?

Also, Jpeg mentioned that Nick Perioli from Oswego was hurt during the basketball season... does anyone have an update on his condition?  No Roster for Oswego yet... and if he is out that will be another big blow to them especially after losing Coromato to transfer....