University Athletic Association

Started by Dr.Fager, March 03, 2005, 02:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearswatcher

Caught a glimpse of our Lady Bears working out yesterday, looking good!!!! Also, the guys don't look bad either, but I think this will be a big year for the Ladies. Any thoughts yet out there, I noticed some pretty big rosters, Emory, Case, will anybody give the Bears a run...where are those NYU guys and Alan, lets go less then a month until MIDNIGHT MADNESS

bearswatcher

Any Pre-Season Prognostications.....

Somebody out there has to have some thoughts!

Chicago has everyone back, I think Brandeis does too, Emory hs 40 on their roster, let's hear some thoughts, I know hopes are high on our end.

bearswatcher

OCT 15.....let's hear some banter.....it's tip off time!!!

deiscanton

Yes-- Today is the first day that official practice can start, and now I can return from my break off the forum.

Keep in mind that during the break, I don't personally watch any informal activity involving members of the Brandeis women's basketball team.  I may occasionally chat with members of the team and/or their parents, but I keep things to myself from the end of March until October 15.  I will, however, go to as many exhibition and scrimmage games as I can from now until November 18-19, when the season starts.  I will have to confirm with the Brandeis coaching staff the schedule for the exhibition with the alumni squad.  I believe that the preseason will involve an away scrimmage with Clark and a home scrimmage with Southern Maine, and I would like Brandeis to play Merrimack again in an exhibition-- it seemed to work well last year.

The new roster just got put up on the Brandeis women's basketball page-- 5 new players and 8 returnees--4 of the starting 5 returning (Malcolm, Clancy, DeMartino, and Capra)-- which gives new players an opportunity to break into the starting 5.    From what I heard in the off-season from Bob DeMartino.  Brandeis's recruiting class looks very promising once again, and the team has made it their goal to get to Springfield, MA in order to compete for the national championship.   I am glad that Springfield College is hosting the national semis and championship game, and will be at Blake Arena come "Final Four" time. 

During the preseason, I would like to check all of the new players to find out how good they are.  I have heard very good things about Cassidy Dadaos from Healdsburg, CA, and I want to check out her game as well as the play of Lauren Goyette and Lauren Orlando.  I also want to see if the other two new players can perform above expectations. 

As for the schedule-- the Brandeis tip-off tournament has a better field than in previous tip-off tournaments with Bates of the NESCAC coming in to Auerbach Arena as the probable potential tip-off championship opponent.  Salve Regina and Mount Holyoke round out the tip-off field, with Brandeis opening up against Salve Regina.  Salve is a former Comm. Coast Conf. champion and made it to the semis of their conference tournament last year, so this will be a competitive ball game.  Brandeis also goes on the road to Endicott at the start of the second semester-- Endicott should also be a more competitive opponent than Curry was over the past two seasons.  I am satisfied with the current schedule.

Any opponent in the UAA is one that you have to prepare for-- but among the top conference opponents that Brandeis faces in the grueling conference season-- I would say Chicago, Wash U, and NYU would be the top three UAA opponents (not necessarily in that order), and Rochester would be next, with Case, Emory, and CMU looking to impress once again.

deiscanton

Since my post from yesterday, I have had a chance to look at the women's basketball rosters that UAA teams have posted for the new season.  Chicago has not yet posted their roster for the 2005-06 season, but I would assume that they will have a mostly familiar roster from last season. 

Based strictly on the rosters that have been posted, look for Case to improve in the UAA standings this season-- they look favored to finish no worse than 5th in the conference.  Case only has 2 new players on their roster, and they return 4 players from last year's starting 5, so the familiarity among the team members will help a lot.  It will be of no surprise if Case finishes ahead of Rochester in the standings this season--  the Spartans should finish ahead of Emory and Carnegie Mellon, as these teams (as well as Rochester) have a lot of new players on their rosters.

Based strictly on the rosters that have been posted, the top 4 preseason teams in the UAA will remain (in no particular order of finish)--  Brandeis, Chicago, Wash U, and NYU.

Due to the fact that Brandeis is hosting the UAA volleyball championships the weekend of Nov. 4 and 5, it does not look like a preseason matchup where Brandeis squares off against an alumni team will take place this season-- so it will look like I will have to see the Brandeis team in scrimmage the Sunday before the tip-off tourney (when the Judges traditionally scrimmage against S. Maine.-- that scrimmage should be in Auerbach Arena this season, as S. Maine hosted that scrimmage last season.)

sandman

Practices have started and the Sandman is back in action... too bad the Case schedule doesn't have any games near Columbus this year.

The Lady Spartans return almost the same team as last year, with some major exceptions.  Perennial UAA leader in steals and assists, Keesha Allen, is gone, but she was the only senior on last year's team.  Junior* power forward Andrea Haylett, who missed all of last season after tearing her ACL in practice in February 2004, is back, as is sophomore point guard LaVonne Sherald, who started as a freshman but was hurt in the fourth game last year.  Last year's young team (and coach) will return with a full year of experience under their collective belt.  Also, I'd rather have two freshmen who will play significant minutes, than 14 who will only see action at the end of blowouts.

I've also tried to predict the standings based on the rosters, and one disadvantage of being out of the loop is that I can't remember who all the strongest players are.  That being said, this is how I think the standings will end up:

Chicago will take the UAA title on the last day of the season by beating Wash U.  The Bears and Brandeis will be tied for second, and both teams will make the NCAA tournament.  Case, NYU, and Rochester will all battle for that last spot in the first division, and with the expanded tournament field, the UAA might actually take four teams to the bracket.  Emory and Carnegie Mellon appear to be built for 2008-09, if all their freshmen stay with the program.

And as for Case's schedule, they begin the season in Erie, PA to play Mt. Union and either Penn State-Behrend or Westminster in a tip-off tournament.  Then they play traditional rivals Baldwin-Wallace and Ohio Wesleyan at home.  Their out-of-conference schedule also includes a D2 team (Wheeling Jesuit), a rematch with Kenyon (22-5 last year), three PAC teams, and some cupcakes in late December.  The UAA schedule is set up exactly the same as in the dream season of 2001-02, which means that Case's last three games are all at home.

*Haylett is in her third year of NCAA eligibility and sixth semester academically (she went on a co-op last spring), so there is a chance that she'll play next year as well.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't make.

deiscanton

Today, I received the game dates for Brandeis's preseason slate.

In the preseason, Brandeis will make 2 trips to Worcester, MA.  On Sat. Nov. 5, Brandeis will play an exhibition against DII Assumption, and on Tues. Nov. 8, Brandeis will have a traditional scrimmage at Clark.  On Sun. Nov. 13, S. Maine will come to the Auerbach Arena for a traditional scrimmage.   

bearswatcher

Kelly Manning Named DIII News Preseason Player of the Year
St. Louis, Mo., October 17, 2005 – Washington University in St. Louis women's basketball senior guard Kelly Manning garnered Women's DIII News Preseason Player of the Year honors, as announced today by the publication.

Manning, a 2004-05 Kodak/WBCA first-team all-America honoree, led the Bears in scoring average (15.4), blocked shots (43), free-throw percentage (.871), three-pointers made (58), field goals made (141) and minutes per game (27.8) last season. She also finished first in the University Athletic Association (UAA) in free-throw percentage and blocks per game (1.65) and second in scoring average.

"We're excited about this preseason honor for Kelly," said WU head coach Nancy Fahey. "We hope that this translates into success on the court for her and the team."

A three-time, first-team all-UAA selection, Manning is the Bears' career leader in free throw percentage (.829). Additionally, she ranks fourth in blocked shots (99), fifth in three-pointers made (122), sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.361) and ninth in scoring (1,020). She scored her 1,000th career point last season against Webster University in the Bears' first-round NCAA Tournament game.

bearswatcher

HEADLINE SPORTS   

Kelly Manning Named DIII News Preseason Player of the Year
St. Louis, Mo., October 17, 2005 – Washington University in St. Louis women's basketball senior guard Kelly Manning garnered Women's DIII News Preseason Player of the Year honors, as announced today by the publication.

Manning, a 2004-05 Kodak/WBCA first-team all-America honoree, led the Bears in scoring average (15.4), blocked shots (43), free-throw percentage (.871), three-pointers made (58), field goals made (141) and minutes per game (27.8) last season. She also finished first in the University Athletic Association (UAA) in free-throw percentage and blocks per game (1.65) and second in scoring average.

"We're excited about this preseason honor for Kelly," said WU head coach Nancy Fahey. "We hope that this translates into success on the court for her and the team."

A three-time, first-team all-UAA selection, Manning is the Bears' career leader in free throw percentage (.829). Additionally, she ranks fourth in blocked shots (99), fifth in three-pointers made (122), sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.361) and ninth in scoring (1,020). She scored her 1,000th career point last season against Webster University in the Bears' first-round NCAA Tournament game.

Washington University completed the 2004-05 season with a 22-5 overall record and an 11-3 mark in UAA play, which was good for its eighth-consecutive UAA championship. The Bears, who won four straight national championships from 1998-2001, also made their 16th-straight NCAA Tournament appearance and advanced to the second round before falling at Millikin University, the eventual national champion. Manning is one of two returning starters and 13 returning letterwinners back for 2005-06.

"Kelly is the top player in one of the toughest league's in the country, so she is a very deserving recipient of this award," said Women's DIII News editor Gary Rubin. "With her experience she should have another great year ahead of her."

Women's DIII News, published since 1993, is the leading publication covering women's Division III basketball. It comes out 12 times during the basketball season.

Washington U., which is ranked seventh in the DIII News preseason poll, begins the 2005-06 season when it hosts the WU Tip-Off Tournament on Friday-Saturday, Nov. 18-19.

deiscanton

NEWS-- CHANGES TO WAY THE STARTING LINEUP IS TO BE INTRODUCED AT UAA GAMES:

In the new UAA Basketball Code of Conduct which took effect on August 1, 2005, an amendment was made to Sec. 4.10-- Miscellaneous Administration.  This amendment provides for a new uniform way of introducing the starting lineup at all UAA basketball conference games.

From now on, at all UAA basketball contests, the starting lineups shall be introduced in the method provided for NCAA tournament games-- i.e. 1 player from the visiting team introduced first, then immediately followed by 1 player from the home team, and so on until all 5 players from both visiting and home teams are introduced.   Each player shall shake hands with her counterpart at mid-court as the other player is introduced.  At the end of the starting lineup introductions, the head coaches shall shake hands at mid-court.

This NCAA tournament method is the method used in previous years when the starting lineups are introduced at Wash U home games in the regular season, but not at other UAA institutions.  In previous years, the majority of institutions introduced first all 5 starting members of the visiting team, then followed by all 5 starting members of the home team.

This amendment can be found at http://www,uaa.rochester.edu/Administration/Codes_of_Conduct.doc

deiscanton

In the best interests of all involved, I will not make any further public comment involving any preseason activities involving the Brandeis men's or women's basketball teams for events from now until Nov. 18.  This includes the scrimmages.  Given the tough competition of the upcoming season, the teams should be allowed to prepare in relative privacy.  In return, I also request that fans of other UAA teams also refrain from making any further public comment regarding their scrimmages, in the best interest of their teams.

sandman

I don't put too much trust in pre-season polls.  But for what it's worth, Brandeis is #8 and Wash U is #14 in the D3Hoops poll, with NYU and Chicago also receiving votes.  The Judges have only been ranked higher than that three times.  Baldwin-Wallace, also on Case's (and Rochester's) schedule, is ranked #20.  The WBCA poll isn't out yet.

In the coming weeks, I look forward to the UAA preseason coaches' poll, as another source of opinions on what may happen this season.

And as for the new starting lineup rule, Case has done the introductions that way for years.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't make.

jagluski

Apparently, according to Wash U's website, the UAA preseason poll is out.

"Projected" Standings are

Wash U
Brandeis
NYU
Chicago
Rochester
Case
Emory
CMU

bearswatcher

St. Louis, Mo., November 1, 2005 – The Washington University women's basketball team was picked to win a ninth-consecutive University Athletic Association (UAA) championship, while the men were picked second in the UAA preseason coaches poll, announced today by the league office.

The 14th-ranked women's team earned six of eight possible first-place votes, tallying 48 points. Brandeis University and New York University each tallied a first-place vote to finish second and third, respectively. The University of Chicago was fourth with 32 points, while University of Rochester, Case Western Reserve University, Emory University and Carnegie Mellon University completed the rankings.

Two-time defending UAA champion Rochester garnered five first-place votes in totaling 47 points to earn the top spot on the men's side. Washington U. gained a first-place tally in scoring 40 points. New York picked up a first-place vote, as did Carnegie Mellon to finish third and fourth. Chicago, Brandeis, Emory and Case Western Reserve rounded out the rankings.

The Washington University women, who finished 22-5 last season, open the season at home against Coe College in the WU Tip-Off Tournament on Fri., Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. The Bears men's team, which finished 16-9 in 2004-05, begins the season Fri., Nov. 18 at 5 p.m. against NAIA's fourth-ranked Robert Morris College at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Tip-Off Tournament in Platteville, Wis.

newtonnancy

New season, read some posts, and since I am in Chicago still, I have been keeping tabs on UC since I am removed from Brandeis (Allen, come I need some reports) and hear they played Northwestern (yes BIG 10 Northwestern) even up yesterday at NWU.