Little East Conference

Started by ECSUalum, August 30, 2013, 05:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

I think the Little East Conference deserves its own thread in 2013.  Last year posts were made in the New England soccer thread

ECSUalum

Here is a pretty good preseason overview of 2013 ECSU Warrior Mens Soccer squad.
It describes top losses and top newcomers and in addition provides a nice interview with Coach Greg DeVito  (7th year, 88-28-12)
Eastern is ranked 1st in this season's LEC Coaches Poll after going 17-2-1 in 2012.  They made their 4th NCAA appearance in 7 yrs under Coach DeVito, and were defeated by St Lawrence U 2-1 in 2ot in last years NCAA Tournament.  ECSU was ranked 22nd in the final 2012 D-III Soccer poll.
They kick off their season Sat Aug 31 at Widener U in Swarthmore PA

http://nutmeg.easternct.edu/mt-static/athletics/2013/08/fall-2013-season-previews.html

tjcummingsfan

Happy to see this thread dedicated to the Little East.

I have a question that I'm going to try and word in a way that doesn't anger KSC fans... (though now that I've said that maybe it's inevitable).

I have only been to LE matches at KSC (lived nearby, and really enjoy soccer of all levels).  I probably saw 4-5 games in a 4 year span, and no joke every one of those games included a fight.  One game was even ended early because of a fight.

My question is... Is KSC notorious for instigating fights?  Or did I just happen to come on the nights each year that ended up that way?

ECSUalum

tj,
I have been watching Keene State for many years and there is no doubt they play a very physical brand of soccer.  On the other hand, Eastern men's (and BTW,  women's) soccer team(s), qualified for a 2012 Bronze Team Ethics Award for accumulating ten or less yellow and no red cards over the course of the 2012 season.

UMass Dartmouth was also very physical last year. 
All you need to do is go to the LEC soccer statistics section on the LEC Conference web site and look at yellow/red cards given over the years, and I believe you will see, Keene St, UMD and in some years RIC have a lot of them.  As a matter of fact , if I remember correctly, UMD had at least one, maybe 2 guys thrown out in last year's LEC tournament final vs ECSU.

2012 Season
Team                             GP  Fouls                    YC-RC

Eastern Connecticut         20  167                      9-0
Keene State College         19  294                    23-0
Plymouth State               18  187                         8-1
Rhode Island College       18  245                     21-2
Southern Maine               18  169                       11-0
UMass Boston                  17  217                       18-2
UMass Dartmouth            19  249                    29-2
Western Connecticut        17  170                       22-1

ECSUalum

Rough start for the Warriors this afternoon with a 3-0 loss to Widener U in Swarthmore PA.  ECSU freshman goalkeeper Greg Walton has 3 shots directed toward him and 3 found the net,  Shots were 10 -7 in favor of Widener.  Max Reid had 2 of the 3 goals for Widener.
Eastern plays Swarthmore tomorrow @ 4PM

ECSUalum

3-3  tie with Swarthmore today, ECSU led twice but could not hold on to lead. They are starting 6 freshman so far.  Mitch Power did not play today indicating a possible injury.  Hope not, as we need experience right now!!!
First game observed on line indicated to me they need to work on technical skills, defense, and time of possession!  Freshman goalkeeper needs experience as well.

Keene St starts off 0-2 with losses to Brandeis 3-2 and Hobart 3-0 this weekend.

Early LEC Conference results:

2013 Men's Standings
School                      Conf   Overall
Western Connecticut 0-0-0   1-0-0
Rhode Island College 0-0-0   1-0-1
Mass-Boston             0-0-0   1-1-0
Eastern Connecticut   0-0-0   0-1-1
Mass-Dartmouth       0-0-0    0-0-0
Plymouth State         0-0-0   0-0-0
Southern Maine        0-0-0    0-1-0
Keene State             0-0-0    0-2-0

amh63

ESCUalum.....forgot that you are a big soccer fan.  Noticed that this year's team has 8 freshmen and no juniors.  One FY player is from Amherst....a GK.  Maybe he should start over the other FY GK from Maine...just pulling your leg here.  Also noticed another FY player is from Newtown. 
Wonder why ESCU does not schedule Amherst in men's soccer.  It seems that the women's squad plays Amherst on a regular basis.  FYI, it seems that the women's game this year at Amherst will be a night game....suggesting to me it will be on the new turf field in the new football stadium which has lights....if true, it will be the first night time soccer game at Amherst!  Hope the Lady Jeffs will make a game of it....seems ESCU's women squad is loaded and playing well.
Oh yes, forgot....why no juniors on your squad?   Amherst's also brought in 8 new players this year....including one from AK and a 6'6' PLAYER FROM CA.

ECSUalum

amh63,
Hope you had a wonderful summer. (BYW looks like you got hammered on karma  ???, wht happened?).  Here's one back
yes, huge ECSU athletics fan including soccer.
Looks like Coach DeVito brought in ton of VG Freshman in in 2010 but only recruited 3 in 2011, one, Nick Demo, who was very good, must have left/transfered the other two did not make the team in 2012.
Lots of Freshman starting this year, including 2 goalkeepers, which, from what I can observe after viewing one match, will be a re building year.  One kid , who is the women soccer Coach's son is a soph transfer from U of Hartford, so he should be pretty good.
Looks like Amherst will again be in the thick of the race for the NCAA National Championship, nice recruiting year for Coach Serpone.
Yes, the Eastern women look very good so far this year and should do well.  Exciting the new athletic facilities at Amherst.  The Lord Jeff student athletes certainly deserve the best facilities as they have earned them!!!!
Looking forward to another  great year of D-III athletics in 2013-14 especially bb and baseball with our new baseball coach, (Matt LaBranche), from WNEU.  Best of luck to all of Amherst's teams this year, (except of course when they play the Warriors ;) ) in all their sports!

amh63

ECSUalum....Yes the Summer was good with a week at the Delaware shores with the family just before Labor Day.  Saw your Prez at my 50th Class reunion in late May."  Good times were had by all!
Thanks for the Karma point.   It seems that someone from another region/board became upset over posts by members of the "CAC" board and took it out on posters, Amherst posters mostly.  "our special friend" is how some refer to the person.  It has gone on for some time.....but the situation is under control, I believe.  At least four posters were given initially 100 negative pings each, it appears, before steps were taken.  Hopefully, I will reach a net positive count before the start of basketball season.  Silly games by childish person.
In any case, I will keep a watch over  your Warriors as the year progress.  Chat with you later on sport matters.

ECSUalum

Amh63,
Wow, the idiot who pinged the CAC board must have spent hours/days? serving out the negatives to your group...what a whacko ::)!!!!

Saw Dr Freeland last fall when Elsa was getting one of her many honors/awards from national, state and local organizations.  A great guy!!!

Anyway, I was with Elsa last week for the ground breaking ceremonies for our new Fine Arts Instructional Center.  She was very happy it got OK by the Gov and that our poor Fine and Performing Arts majors, (who have been in the old Schaefer Hall for 50 yrs), will finally have a state of the art facility in 2015.  She has really been promoting our new brand of being the State of Connecticut's  designated Public Liberal Arts University.  The campus is really beautiful now and has really changed since I was there in the 70's.  Our outdoor athletics facilities are second to none!!
Take care,
ECAlum

ECSUalum

From  ECSU SID Bob Molta:
WILLIMANTIC, Conn. -- Freshmen Nicholas Warren (Southbury) and Ryan Pomroy (Ivoryton) - two of  six newcomers in the Eastern Connecticut State University men's soccer starting lineup - connected for their first career points with 2:13 left to lift the Warriors to a 1-0 non-conference victory over Bridgewater State University in their home-opener Saturday afternoon at Thomas Nevers Field.
Much better passing and communication today vs last weekend in coming up with the victory today.  Freshman getting a lot of experience which bodes well for later this year and next year!

ECSUalum

ECSU nips Ramapo of NJ in Willimantic this afternoon is a hard fought match. Freshman Mark Richards got a beautiful cross from another Freshman Eric Fiore for the header.  Veteran Tim Jennison scored with 1 min left in 2OT for the winner when Ramapo goalkeeper Steve Monaghan came out of his goal to block Jennison's shot but could not control the rebound.  Otherwise, match was even with 12 SOG apiece.  ECSU now at 2-1-1 Ramapo falls to 2-2-1

ECSUalum

Eastern beat up on poor Mitchell 6-0 today, (whom Eastern beat only 1-0 in a close match last year!!). Mitchell incurred much of the damage from Warrior Freshman/Soph. players !! Senior Mitch Power launched another rocket off a set piece from 25 yards today, he had a couple of those last year 8-)
Scoring as follows
EC  13:35 Freshman Back Emmanuel Caicedo (1) (unassisted)  beat keeper to near post from right side 
EC  07:36 Freshman MF Ryan Pomroy (1) (Freshman Forward Kyle Peterson)  served from left side to center and finished 
EC  02:19 Soph.Tim Jennison (3) (Freshman Back Mark Richards)  stopped, dropped off pass and finished 
EC  -31:-6 Senior MF Mitch Power (1) (unassisted)  off free kick from 25 yards out 
EC  -39:-11 Soph. MF Gavin Neuendorf (1) (Freshman Fprward Alejandro Tobon)  head flick to open look in front of goal 
EC  -44:-9 Senior MF Luke Capezzone (1) (Freshman Forward Alejandro Tobon & Zane Lombardo)

ECSUalum

ECSU nips WCSU 1-0 at Nevers Field this afternoon on a goal by Freshman Nicholas Warren his second 37 sec into OT1.
The Colonials always play this cross state rival game tough. This was start of LEC play

ECSUalum

from Bob Molta ECSU SID

WILLIMANTIC, Conn. --  Sophomore midfielder Arman Karbassioon's (Cheshire)  first career game-winning goal helped the Eastern Connecticut State University men's soccer team extend its Little East Conference unbeaten streak to 13 with a 1-0 victory over Keene State College Saturday afternoon at Thomas Nevers Field.

Eastern (6-1-1, 2-0-0 LEC) posted its fourth consecutive shutout this year when Karbassioon beat Keene State (2-7-0, 1-1-0 LEC) keeper Malcolm Cheney in the 76th minute with a shot from the right side of the box for the only goal of the match. Sophomore back Zane Lombardo (Portland) ignited the scoring play with a cross from the left side of the field into the box to freshman midfielder Ryan Pomroy (Ivoryton). Pomroy gave it off to senior midfielder Mitch Power (Douglas, MA), who set up Karbassioon's first goal of the season.

Making his second consecutive start, Karbassioon became the fifth different Eastern player to record a game-winning goal in the team's six triumphs.
Eastern freshman keeper Greg Walton (Brunswick, ME) posted his fifth shutout in eight starts - fourth in a row