Bumblin' B's

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 01, 2005, 02:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen M. Karon

I know that Ralph Turner is famous for this thread, and while there is a section for Pool B bids for the men this year, there are none for the women, so I thought that this forum needed a re-start. <BR> <BR>As you know, the 2004-05 tournament for the women comprises of a field of 50 teams-- with 39 bids going to automatic qualifiers (i.e. teams belonging in conferences that carry automatic bids that win their leagues), 4 bids going to either independents, or teams that are in conferences not yet having automatic bids, and 7 bids going to teams in conferences carrying automatic bids that do not win their conferences.

There are only 4 Pool B picks this year because the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference, and the North Atlantic Conference now carry automatic bids for their champions.

With that in mind, here are my 4 leaders for the Pool B picks for the women--

1.)  Washington and Jefferson-- 11-1 regional record (.917)-- member of the Presidents Conference-- Great Lakes region (Presidents does not have auto bid.)
2.)  Chapman   9-3 regional record (.750)-- independent from the West region.
3.)  Westminister (PA)  12-4 regional record (.750)-- Presidents Conference-- Great Lakes region.
4.)  Chowan  8-3 regional record (.727)-- independent-- South region.

Other teams to watch--
Piedmont (GA)-- .727 regional pct.-- Great South Athletic Conference-- South region.
Maryville (TN)-- .692 regional pct.-- Great South Athletic Conference-- South region.

Those look to be the most likely teams eligible for Pool B this year. Thoughts?

Ralph Turner

Allen, thanks for opening the board.  I think you have highlighted the leaders.

NJCU (8-5) has several In-Region games remaining, but I think that going at least 5-1 is a real stretch.

I assume that Thomas More has not been re-assigned to the weaker South Region, and in turn would pick in-Region games against the GSAC.

Chowan has 7 games vs. its old USAC rivals and went 4-3 against them the first time.  Another 4-3 performance makes them 12-6.  Is that good enough?

Piedmont and Maryville have a chance to add 2 or 3 GSAC tournament wins. (I do not clearly interpret the Tourney format on the GSAC web site....Any byes?)

Does anyone know when the Women's side of the GSAC gets its AQ?  They have 7 full members this year.

Kayla Johnson

Now that the NCAA has allowed Independent schools to have their own "conference" tournament at the end of the season, it should be interesting to see some Independent matchups across regions...even if it isn't the best teams in the nation competing.

Finlandia (Great Lakes), Meredith (South), and New Jersey City (Atlantic?) will be traveling to Russell Sage on Feb. 25-26 this year for the D3 Independent Tourney.

I know none of these teams are expecting Pool B bids, but any thoughts?

Ralph Turner

Kayla, thanks for notifying us about the Independents Tourney.  I was expecting the West Region men to put one together.  I did not understand that the independents could come from different evaluation regions.

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

NJCU would have to run the table to be considered for a Pool B bid but this is the best season they have had in over ten years.  They are playing great defense and keeping themselves in games that way.  The defense is being taught to them by Jonathon Green a former NJCU mens player and now assistant coach for the women.  He has brought a winning attitude and toughness to the womens team and they have responded.  He has them playing the same defense that the mens team plays now.  I would love to see them make the tournament but the strongest possibility is an ECAC bid right now which would be great.

scottiedoug

Ralph:   Maryville and Piedmont have essentially identical records and have split their games.  If both beat whomever they play between now and the GSAC tournament, and they play each other in the championship (all of which is likely), then would you think the winner is in line for a Pool B and the loser is not?

Then again, why is the GSAC for women not an AQ conference?

Allen M. Karon

This is the first year that the Great South Athletic Conference got 7 full members of NCAA DIII playing in that conference.  The GSAC now has to go through a waiting period before getting the automatic bid.  GSAC should get an automatic bid either next season or the season after that if they keep all 7 of these members in the conference.

scottiedoug

Thanks Allen.  What will determine if it is next season or the one after?

Ralph Turner

Scottiedoug, there was legislation recommended from the http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/ncaa_news_online/2005/02_14_05/division_iii/4204n41.html">Championships committee to waive the 2-year rule for "Conference Realignment".  Not having the specific language to the legislation, I will not speculate as to the nature of the bill.

Also, does Wesleyan GA's women's team "not playing 3 games" impact the Pool A provisional status?  I don't know.

In any case, there goes Pool B bid (the 7 schools from the GSAC) to Pool A.http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Also I think that the NEAC will move 9 full members from Pool B to Pool A in 2007.

There may be some movement back into Pool B if Hood moves its women's team from the AWCC and the conference falls to 6 members.  My thoughts are why don't Randolph-Macon Women's and Hollins from the ODAC affiliate with the AWCC and be more competitive in those sports where there is a chance to keep the AQ for the AWCC?  

(Message edited by rturner on February 20, 2005)

Ralph Turner

Aaron, Scottiedoug,

any guesses on Pool B as of this time?  These are my four picks.

1) Chapman 11-3 in-region and 17-5 overall, West Region independent.

2) Chowan 13-4 in-region and 18-6 overall, south Region Independent.

3) Wash & Jeff, 15-3 in-region and 20-5 overall, Pres AC.

4T) Piedmont and Maryville, with a tourney to settle the bid.

Also in contention, NJCU, going back to NJAC next year.

Baptist Bible, joining the NEAC which gets the bid in 2007.

Allen M. Karon

Ralph--

I'll look at the Pool B picture on Monday and see if I agree with your picks.

Allen M. Karon

Ralph--

I have looked at the Pool B picture and I agree with you for the most part.

1.)  Washington & Jefferson looks to be in as a Pool B regardless of the outcome of the Presidents Conf. Tournament.

2.)  Chapman is in as a Pool B pick at an 11-3 final in-region record out of the West.  (.786)

3.)  Chowan is now at 13-5 regionally in the South region (.722), so if both Piedmont and Maryville (TN) finish above .722 in in-region percentage at the end of the Great South tournament, I see both Piedmont and Maryville (
TN) getting in as Pool B's and Chowan out.

So in the South, it looks like 2 Pool B's going to the South with 3 teams vying for these picks.

Wash & Jeff from the Great Lakes region gets a Pool B, and Chapman from the West region gets a Pool B.

Pat Coleman

I'm crossposting some of this to the Pool B page in hopes of spurring some discussion here:

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 27, 2005, 05:15:06 PM
So far Rockford and Eureka both have good tournament résumés. Remember that even if someone upsets one of them in the NIIC tournament, that wouldn't guarantee them the front-runner spot for a Pool B bid. The winner of the conference tournament is not guaranteed anything, basically, aside from what they earn in the season as a whole.

At 3-7 in region, Aurora pretty much has to run the table to end up 17-7 in region and be in good shape for a Pool B bid. Current QOW: 7.600.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 27, 2005, 04:21:17 PM
Keith, I will give my opinion here, but feel free to email me for other questions as you wish.

The Primary Selection criteria are listed, so there is some "wiggle" room for the committee when they select.

I see the NIIC has 3 major contenders for 4 slots...W&J/Pres AC, Chapman and the GSAC champ/Maryville TN. I also don't know whether the NEAC teams will mount a challenge, e.g. Villa Julie College. I also think that the NIIC will get one bid, so probably the "Champion" will get it.
Quote from: keith45 on December 27, 2005, 12:54:13 PM
Ralph,
Thanks for the info! I am lost with the whole Pool B and C bids...we got killed non-conference, but as a first year staff, we hope to make a run in conference. However, I remember in my playing days (98 or so), Simpson (IA) went like 23-3, won the conference, but didn't get a bid..and since our record wont be nearly that pretty, and we dont have an AQ this year, we may be out of luck even IF we get hot in conference...could you foresee no NIIC teams getting in (on the ladies side)? or better yet, would QOWI impact a decision if, lets say, Rockford didn't win the conference, but had 3-4 losses, and another NIIC team wins conference with a .500 record or better...I'm looking at non-conference in region games, so could you have a team with a better QOWI but worse record?

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 27, 2005, 11:28:15 AM
Keith, good morning!

Please refer to the NCAA Handbook for the details on the QOWI  (SOS)

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/basketball/2006/2006_d3_w_basketball_handbook.pdf

and under the FAQ...

http://www.d3hoops.com/faq.php?category=NCAA%20Tournament

Aurora is in Pool B, so you can find the combined wisdom  ??? of multiple pundits as the season progresses.

For the lurkers, Aurora and the NIIC are competing with the GSAC, the Pres AC, and Chapman, among others for the Pool B bids.  After the Pool B bids are allocated, then the remaining teams are moved to Pool C.

Also Thomas More should be considered a Pool B contender. The Presidents' could get two bids this year. Who needs the automatic bid, anyway?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 27, 2005, 05:19:10 PM
I'm crossposting some of this to the Pool B page in hopes of spurring some discussion here:

...Also Thomas More should be considered a Pool B contender. The Presidents' could get two bids this year. Who needs the automatic bid, anyway?

:) ;) :D ;D Who needs the automatic bid?  The Pres AC men, that's who! :D :D :D :D  (boink!)