FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 05, 2012, 07:55:49 PM
They could do the climax at Ayers Rock (Uluru) - Oz swings down to save the imperiled Christie Brinkley (I've seen 2012 pictures - she is STILL fantastic!).  The villain, of course, is portrayed by Glenn Caruso! ;D

You know you're getting old like us when there is an exclamation point at the end of that sentence.  A young fella would grant no more than, "She's pretty good for her age."   Because no matter how hot she is, the youngster couldn't get over the age.

I had a wise man I met in the Navy once tell me that you know you're getting old when you see a mother and daughter walking down the street and you think, "she's pretty good looking," and you realize you're talking about the mother.  Where you still have a theoretical shot.
[  

Warren Thompson

Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 05, 2012, 06:33:02 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on December 05, 2012, 03:32:43 PM
Oz, did you find out what kind of arachnid bit you?

No, but due to the fact that the reaction is local we know it wasn't Melbourne's only deadly eight-legged monstrosity, the red back (we also eliminate that spider because I'm not in the hospital on anti-venom):

Red backs are related to the black widow.  That's the female above.  The male was lunch.

I suspect you're lucky. Doesn't Australia also have one of the most venomous spiders, the so-called "funnel-web"? I've heard that that arachnid can bite through the fingernail of a child.

As well, "Down Under" apparently has some very dangerous snakes: the brown snake, and the inland and coastal Tai-Pans. One hopes you stay clear of these critters ....

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 05, 2012, 08:06:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 05, 2012, 07:55:49 PM
They could do the climax at Ayers Rock (Uluru) - Oz swings down to save the imperiled Christie Brinkley (I've seen 2012 pictures - she is STILL fantastic!).  The villain, of course, is portrayed by Glenn Caruso! ;D

You know you're getting old like us when there is an exclamation point at the end of that sentence.  A young fella would grant no more than, "She's pretty good for her age."   Because no matter how hot she is, the youngster couldn't get over the age.

I had a wise man I met in the Navy once tell me that you know you're getting old when you see a mother and daughter walking down the street and you think, "she's pretty good looking," and you realize you're talking about the mother.  Where you still have a theoretical shot.

Touche!  But I admitted getting old(er) years ago.

Christie Brinkley is still hot at ANY age (even my 20-year-old admits it). ;D  She's in danger at Uluru - SAVE her! ;)

DoubleO

Quote from: SJUrube on December 05, 2012, 06:13:47 PM
Quote from: ron doney on December 05, 2012, 03:08:51 AM
IMHO If you want to rebuild a program that enters the National conversation, then the storied and proud tradition of SJU football needs to ask themselves what they are willing to give up.  What traditions can you let go of?  Any coach worthy of National relevance will want to set their own table.  It's a out with the old and in with the new story. 

Dienhart was the last successful coach at UST.  He moved to AD and hired Don Roney - a hire that was from within the clubhouse and kept the UST traditions (of the time) alive.  Didn't work out.  In his second hire at UST he's scraped the old boys club and went with Caruso.  Dienhart has given Caruso the keys to remapping program and now we have a song and a bell......both of which are "traditions" that date back to 2008.  Old teams and players become irrelevant - the future is the focus.

In the same theme, I believe PJ Theisen was on the committee that selected Caruso.  Today he couldn't be more irrelevant to Caruso or the program.  In the same vein, SJU has Elliot on the selection committee - where will he stand in the future of the program?  Are SJU alum ready to make Elliot irrelevant?

It's not exactly clear to me what traditions SJU would need to get rid of in order to right the ship after two down years. And yes, it's only been two years. 7-3 in 2010 was by a total of 7 points. Obviously the last two years haven't been pretty. Outside of some of John's "NO's" I can't imagine having the program distance itself from the last 60 years. Do we want kids that play the game hard, are respectful in doing it, honor tradition and are part of the greater SJU community? Put me down for four "yeses."

Sure things need to change but trying to move away from traditions isn't the trick. Part of the traditions are the largest crowds in D3, some of the best players in MIAC history, one of the best in all of D3. I can't imagine any program running away from those pieces.

Caruso has clearly put his mark on the UST program since he came on board. There's no questioning that or his W/L record. I will say though some of my closest friends are UST grads who played at the tail end of the Roney era. As happy as they are to see UST winning games, MIAC titles and advancing in the playoffs they also wish they were more welcomed by the current coach. These are guys who spent 4 years studying at UST, playing football and are now contributing members of their community (hard to believe given their UST degree) and the fact they wish they could be closer to the program is a shame.

St Glenn doesn't have to answer or apologize to me. I'n not a player, alumn or even a fan of him or his team. But I won't be happy if SJU brings in some guy who thinks the program was started the day he was hired.

Rube, I can't speak of the particular feelings your Tommie friends have, but I can tell you there are PLENTY of former players that believe the exact opposite. GC went out of his way to reach out to former players after being hired to communicate his, "it takes a village" message. Anyone with a pulse was aware that the train was off the tracks and "St. Glenn" was clear and concise in laying out his plan on righting the ship. As a matter of fact, I was part of a group of about 30 former players from multiple eras who met with Glenn & some assistants in Chicago when they were in the area recruiting. He made a very detailed presentation on his views for the program and how each of us could help them achieve their goals. General consensus was that he went WAY above and beyond the call of duty. His connection with former players couldn't be better from my seat.

BDB

SJUrube

Quote from: DoubleO on December 05, 2012, 10:02:17 PM

It's not exactly clear to me what traditions SJU would need to get rid of in order to right the ship after two down years. And yes, it's only been two years. 7-3 in 2010 was by a total of 7 points. Obviously the last two years haven't been pretty. Outside of some of John's "NO's" I can't imagine having the program distance itself from the last 60 years. Do we want kids that play the game hard, are respectful in doing it, honor tradition and are part of the greater SJU community? Put me down for four "yeses."

Sure things need to change but trying to move away from traditions isn't the trick. Part of the traditions are the largest crowds in D3, some of the best players in MIAC history, one of the best in all of D3. I can't imagine any program running away from those pieces.

Caruso has clearly put his mark on the UST program since he came on board. There's no questioning that or his W/L record. I will say though some of my closest friends are UST grads who played at the tail end of the Roney era. As happy as they are to see UST winning games, MIAC titles and advancing in the playoffs they also wish they were more welcomed by the current coach. These are guys who spent 4 years studying at UST, playing football and are now contributing members of their community (hard to believe given their UST degree) and the fact they wish they could be closer to the program is a shame.

St Glenn doesn't have to answer or apologize to me. I'n not a player, alumn or even a fan of him or his team. But I won't be happy if SJU brings in some guy who thinks the program was started the day he was hired.

Rube, I can't speak of the particular feelings your Tommie friends have, but I can tell you there are PLENTY of former players that believe the exact opposite. GC went out of his way to reach out to former players after being hired to communicate his, "it takes a village" message. Anyone with a pulse was aware that the train was off the tracks and "St. Glenn" was clear and concise in laying out his plan on righting the ship. As a matter of fact, I was part of a group of about 30 former players from multiple eras who met with Glenn & some assistants in Chicago when they were in the area recruiting. He made a very detailed presentation on his views for the program and how each of us could help them achieve their goals. General consensus was that he went WAY above and beyond the call of duty. His connection with former players couldn't be better from my seat.

OO - Understood. No reason for me to not take you at your word. My skepticism has me wondering if alumns who can help St Glenn (no " " needed) are the ones he values. I'm guessing having some reliable connections in markets he can't be in very often might make you more of an asset than some back in MPLS/STP. If that's the case, again the results are what they are.

One could argue SJU should be implementing something similar and relying on alumns and supporters in far away markets to tip them off to potential recruits.

DoubleO

Quote from: SJUrube on December 05, 2012, 11:54:11 PM

OO - Understood. No reason for me to not take you at your word. My skepticism has me wondering if alumns who can help St Glenn (no " " needed) are the ones he values. I'm guessing having some reliable connections in markets he can't be in very often might make you more of an asset than some back in MPLS/STP. If that's the case, again the results are what they are.

One could argue SJU should be implementing something similar and relying on alumns and supporters in far away markets to tip them off to potential recruits.

Whoever the new SJU coach is, he would be crazy to not use the former player base and all alumni for that matter as an asset because that's exactly what you are. As proud and storied as the SJU tradition is he would be putting himself at a distinct disadvantage in not doing so.

Your skepticism could very well have some merit, but I know many more guys who I played with that live in the Cities who feel very connected to the program still. As connected as they might with one of the former coaches still being there, perhaps not, but connected nonetheless. All things considered we're all grateful for what GC has done for the program.

OzJohnnie

Ok, betting pool on nature of the coach:

1 - Current program (Like another sentence in the current paragraph in the same chapter of the book of SJU football)
2 - Former program, Disciple of John (Like a new paragraph in the same chapter)
3 - Former player, Disciple of John (Like a new chapter)
4 - MIAC/player ties, Associate of John (demonstrable familiarity with 'No', but new approach to SJU; like a new volume)
5 - All new (complete break from past, a whole new book)

I'll make a quiz.
[  

sju#57

Oz, but Mike G. would cover both 2 and 3.......
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sju#57 on December 06, 2012, 02:59:18 AM
Oz, but Mike G. would cover both 2 and 3.......

I was thinking of MG being more a 2 and Ramler being more a three.  I ain't gettin paid for this so it's as good as we get. :)
[  

mattvsmith

SJU should go for someone from the outside with absolutely no attachment or relationship with the university, the athletic departmen, football program, coaching staff, or layers. No connection whatsoever. Who ever comes in as the new coach must be free from all baggage. ALL baggage. If the rev were the new incoming coach I'd clear out everyone on the coaching staff and replace them with young guys I've never worked with before. Nothing personal, just business; no one from "the good old days" allowed. It poisons the well. "But Coach always did it this way."
My response: "I'm coach. Go empty your locker."

It's better for everyone to have a complete break with the past or else you're setting the guy up for failure.

oldsju67

Quote from: DoubleO on December 06, 2012, 12:09:46 AM
Quote from: SJUrube on December 05, 2012, 11:54:11 PM

Whoever the new SJU coach is, he would be crazy to not use the former player base and all alumni for that matter as an asset because that's exactly what you are. As proud and storied as the SJU tradition is he would be putting himself at a distinct disadvantage in not doing so.
Your skepticism could very well have some merit, but I know many more guys who I played with that live in the Cities who feel very connected to the program still. As connected as they might with one of the former coaches still being there, perhaps not, but connected nonetheless. All things considered we're all grateful for what GC has done for the program.
There is a grassroots campaign forming to address this as we speak.  Stay tuned....
The last shall be first and the  shall be... FIRST AGAIN!!!

faunch

So let me understand this correctly....the 4th largest college/university in MN will play the 3rd largest college/university from the state of WI in the Division 3 Football Semifinals on Saturday?  Combined their enrollments total over 20,000.  God I love "small" college football!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

stormyfuture

undergraduate/graduate student numbers at both

(UST)
6,336/3,980
(UWO)
12,232/1,229

USTBench

Quote from: faunch on December 06, 2012, 08:28:42 AM
So let me understand this correctly....the 4th largest college/university in MN will play the 3rd largest college/university from the state of WI in the Division 3 Football Semifinals on Saturday?  Combined their enrollments total over 20,000.  God I love "small" college football!

This isn't going to devolve into the same old "UST is a big campus, they shouldn't be DIII" argument is it? Collge football is not high school football. It's very rare a player is plucked out of the talent pool that is the student body because some coach saw him playing pick-up basketball and thought he was a great athlete. Except maybe Steve Groth.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions