FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

After 22 rounds, the final 8 have been set.  It's an odd kind of double elimination format in AFL that grew out of a system when an odd number of teams made the playoffs.  The top four play each other, with the losers getting a second chance, and the bottom four play with the losers out and the winners playing the top losers.  So we have:

Week 1:
A. Sydney (1) v Fremantle (4) @ Sydney on Saturday afternoon
B. Hawthorn (2) v Geelong (3) @ Hawthorn on Friday night
C. Port Adelaide (5) v Richmond (8) @ Port Adelaide on Saturday night
D. North Melbourne (6) v Essendon (7) @ North Melbourne on Sunday afternoon

Week 2:
A & B winners: Bye
E. A loser v lowest ranked winner of D/C @ A loser
F. B loser v highest ranked winner of D/C @ B loser

Week 3:
G: A winner v F winner @ A winner
H: B winner v E winner @ B winner

Week 4 (Grand Final):
I: G winner v H winner @ the MCG

I reckon a whole semester on Complex Systems could be filled with that playoff arrangement.
[  

sjusection105

Quote from: OldAuggie on August 30, 2014, 03:17:57 PM
Quote from: AO on August 30, 2014, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: hazzben on August 30, 2014, 11:55:48 AM
So, looking over the 'Watch List' for the D3 Senior Classic.

Several MIAC names on the list. But this is what jumped out to me:

North Defense
Second Team

LB Mike Juberian, Augsburg

Assuming Pat & Co. have their facts straight (and they usually do), are we really to understand that a kid who was arrested and charged with both a felony and gross misdemeanor for rioting with a weapon and throwing rocks, bottles and concrete at police is back on the team (or was never even suspended) just like that?

Augsburg doesn't have its 2014 roster up yet to really give us anything conclusive one way or the other.

Any Augsburg posters know if he really is still on the team? If so, what, if any consequences were meted out? Will he sit out a few games at least?  ???

I guess we don't have all the facts, but what we do have thus far is unsettling. I like to think one of the things that separates D3 from major college football is the accountability and high standards we still hold our student athletes to.
looks like he is not currently eligible to play but has put in some sort of appeal.  You can read about this and more in d3football.com's KICKOFF 2014
This is accurate. He is not currently eligible to play.

Old Auggie- in July a little birdie mentioned to me something about A. Scott attending summer school to get his GPA up. I assume that if there was a problem with him not getting caught up it would be news by now. Do you have any word on this? Obviously the Auggie offense runs through him,so he is a very important guy as far as Auggie Nation is concerned.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OldAuggie

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 01, 2014, 07:58:25 AM
Old Auggie- in July a little birdie mentioned to me something about A. Scott attending summer school to get his GPA up. I assume that if there was a problem with him not getting caught up it would be news by now. Do you have any word on this? Obviously the Auggie offense runs through him,so he is a very important guy as far as Auggie Nation is concerned.
He is ready to go this year and is the leader of the team. Yes, he has caught up on the academic side of things.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

AO

2014 MIAC PICK-EMS

Welcome to the 2014 season.  This will be the greatest and most important season of your lives.  All are welcome to pick.

Rule #1 Submit picks to the pick-em's board before kickoff. 

The HALL OF CHAMPIONS:
2013: FCGrizzliesGrad
2012: miacmaniac
2011: Finsleft
2010: Finsleft
2009: sju56321
2008: AO
2007: AO
2006: Piperinsider
2005: Frankrickard/Repete

Week 1 September 6

Non-Conference: 2pts
Carleton @ Macalester (+28.5)
UW-River Falls (+7.5) @ St. John's
Crown (+35.5) @ Gustavus
Concordia-Moorhead @ Jamestown   (+28.5)
UW-Eau Claire (+35.5) @ #11 St. Thomas     
St. Olaf @ Northwestern (Minn.) (+7.5)     
Hamline @ Minnesota-Morris (+10.5)
#17 Wartburg @ Augsburg (+8.5)

West Region: 1pt
Coe (+10.5) @ #24 Wheaton

National: 1pt
#22 Thomas More (+9.5) @ #5 Wesley

art76

We were on campus yesterday afternoon to drop off some things for our son and afterwards took the short jaunt "out back" to take a look at the Royal practice going on. In a very unscientific way after watching less than 10 minutes, before heading out and on to other things, I watched QB Peterson throw 6 balls to 6 different players to both sides of the field. None of his receivers dropped any balls. That was not true of some of the other QBs throwing balls during the drill we were watching. It's gonna be a fun season watching Bethel Football.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

OzJohnnie

+k, AO. Thanks again for taking on the pick 'ems.
[  

sjusection105

With all the talk in this pre-season/training camp of the dramatic improvements that the implementation of Justin Rost's strength & conditioning routines have produced I am more than a little anxious to see the team take the field against UWRF on Saturday. I applaud Gary's & the SJU Athletic Department's leadership on adding Justin as a full-time staff member. We are in a new age of athletics and if you are not keeping up with the competition in areas like these,then you are mired down with a sub .500 record.

That being said,there are going to be some unanswered questions that may not be answered until the MIAC opener against the Cobbers on Sept. 20. From what I have seen from the 1 practice I attended and what I have read from Frank's columns..... I like the Johnnie's chances in 2014.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

Game week!  I am looking forward to getting up to Collegeville on Saturday.  ;D

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on September 01, 2014, 07:54:21 PM
Frank is doing his MIAC football preview:

St. Olaf and Carleton
http://www.sctimes.com/story/husky-hockey/2014/09/01/miac-football-st-olaf-carleton/14919589/

GAC and Augsburg
http://www.sctimes.com/story/sportsblog/2014/09/01/miac-football-previews-gustavus-augsburg/14938167/

I see from the Augsburg piece that Juberian is not eligible...but that it wasn't related to his Dinkytown adventures?

Regardless, their offense is going to have to be lights out with the defense only returning 3 starters. 

USTBench

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 02, 2014, 10:45:47 AM
With all the talk in this pre-season/training camp of the dramatic improvements that the implementation of Justin Rost's strength & conditioning routines have produced I am more than a little anxious to see the team take the field against UWRF on Saturday. I applaud Gary's & the SJU Athletic Department's leadership on adding Justin as a full-time staff member. We are in a new age of athletics and if you are not keeping up with the competition in areas like these,then you are mired down with a sub .500 record.

That being said,there are going to be some unanswered questions that may not be answered until the MIAC opener against the Cobbers on Sept. 20. From what I have seen from the 1 practice I attended and what I have read from Frank's columns..... I like the Johnnie's chances in 2014.

/Gags spits out coffee

"A full time strength and conditioning coach?"
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

OldAuggie

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on September 02, 2014, 12:11:44 PM

St. Olaf and Carleton
http://www.sctimes.com/story/husky-hockey/2014/09/01/miac-football-st-olaf-carleton/14919589/

GAC and Augsburg
http://www.sctimes.com/story/sportsblog/2014/09/01/miac-football-previews-gustavus-augsburg/14938167/

I see from the Augsburg piece that Juberian is not eligible...but that it wasn't related to his Dinkytown adventures?

Regardless, their offense is going to have to be lights out with the defense only returning 3 starters.
The D3 Kickoff version of the piece reads that he "is not currently eligible". I say the glass is half full. ;D
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: OldAuggie on September 03, 2014, 06:53:57 AM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on September 02, 2014, 12:11:44 PM

St. Olaf and Carleton

GAC and Augsburg

The D3 Kickoff version of the piece reads that he "is not currently eligible". I say the glass bottle is half full. ;D

We all know Juberian prefers throwing bottles over glasses.

hazzben

Quote from: AO on September 03, 2014, 12:01:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAG8iisKc4&feature=youtu.be  Welcome to the jungle St. Olaf.  We ready.

Looks sharp! Wish it had visitors bleachers. As a player I hated places like Olaf, Carleton, etc. that only had one side of bleachers because it can make for a stale environment. But I'm not sure how they could have fit them in. That issue aside, it's a good looking facility and a major upgrade.

I wonder what sort of role it plays in the game Saturday. Boost for the Eagles against Olaf? I think this game will be a lot closer than people assume if they just look at conference affiliation. That said, sometimes a 'big game' like that can get players overly hyped. Fun to see how it plays out.

Not to overstate the matter, but this is a must win for Olaf and Stern. A loss to the Eagles and Olaf is looking at a real possibility of starting out 0-8.