BB: MIAC: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 14, 2007, 02:45:28 PM
I'm sure that's not at all related to the Johnnie fans who haze newcomers and chase them off.

Well said... There is life outside of the Johnnies, though the Johnnies refuse to admit it.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

DuffMan

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 14, 2007, 02:53:36 PM
Well said... There is life outside of the Johnnies, though the Johnnies refuse to admit it.

Blasphemy!

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

UWPSUPERFAN77

I will accept Mr. Colemans comments as being completely valid. Thank you for your personal honesty PC. We have have often diagreed, but it is 99 percent professional. God Bless!

TC

Do I really need to mention that there were 28 posts in the first 12 months of this forum and 6 posts since I made that comment just over 24 hours ago?

St. John's Football: Ordinary people doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.

WWW.JOHNNIEFOOTBALL.COM

Eagle Eyes

That's great, TC! But what can you tell us about the Johnnies baseball team this spring?

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Eagle Eyes on February 15, 2007, 12:24:34 PM
That's great, TC! But what can you tell us about the Johnnies baseball team this spring?

about where their hcokey team is, or lower.  ::)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Kilted Rat

Quote from: Eagle Eyes on February 15, 2007, 12:24:34 PM

They're way better than CSB's softball team is expected to be. ;D
Now accepting new patients. All bills must be paid in scotch shortly after any services rendered.  Sorry TDT, no problems below the waist.

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Old Spartan

How would the experts rank the baseball programs in this league at the colleges known for their academic excellence?

BigPoppa

Quote from: Old Spartan on February 20, 2007, 02:05:41 PM
How would the experts rank the baseball programs in this league at the colleges known for their academic excellence?

I use the term "expert" very loosely, but here is what I see in the MIAC:

1. St. Thomas
2. St. Olaf
3. St. John's
4. Gustavus
5. Bethel
6. St. Mary's
7. Macalester
8. Concordia
9. Hamline
10.Carleton
11. Augsburg

* I have a feeling that 1 and 2 are right on and then it is really a crap shoot after that. Thoughts?

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Eagle Eyes

Actually, Big Poppa, I think you're not too far off. But I think you've got St. John's too high (I have no idea what they'll have for pitching) and I think Hamline would be my choice for 3rd in the conference right now. They had a nice season last year, made the league playoffs (only 4 teams get in the playoff) and have most of that team back. After the top 3 of St. Thomas, St. Olaf and Hamline, it'll be a real crapshoot.

BaseballFan

Tonight Bethel lost a couple games to St. Scholastica 12-1 and 7-5. Bethel looked pretty good defensively and not bad on offense, but their pitching was not very good.

HarryDH

I was able to take in the Bethel-Mayville State game yesterday morning.  Overall I would say that Bethel played pretty well winning 8-2 and 6-4.  Mayville was not a real strong club, but Bethel played strong defense and hit the ball pretty well.  If they can find some consistent pitching I think they will compete for one of those playoff spots.  Unfortunately walks hurt them in the st. scholastica series, and they would have done the same in the second game yesterday if Mayville was a little stronger opponent.

badgerwarhawk

I noticed that Stout split with both St Thomas and St Olaf.   Stout historically struggles to finish in the upper half of the WIAC.  Though I realize it's very early in the season and teams are still experimenting with their lineups, pitching staffs etc.

St Scholastica has a pretty decent program.  They've qualified for the NCAA's the past two years and though they haven't gotten out of the regional they have beaten Stevens Point.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Gustie13

Here is how I see the MIAC this year:

1: StO - Mathison and Johnson will be pretty darn good at the top, but behind them there are question marks in the rotation. They might end up doing what Gustavus did last year with Schmidt and Spitzack by trying to have them throw about 2/3 of the innings in conference play. The reason I give the Oles the edge over USt is the offense though. StO is losing only 1 position player from last year and have some talented hitters including Brian Astry (a speed demon), Luke Gagnon, Josh Shultheis, and the studly Andrew Schmiessing (who I've heard has been contacted by major league teams).
2: USt - I expect Riley Bosch to compete for conf pitcher of the year, and Dan Leslie and Erik Olsen aren't slouches either. Their line up will be solid but not spectacular and won't have much power in it. Already have some nice wins this year including #1 Otterbein and St Scholastica, but the 2-4 record against the WIAC doesn't bode well.
3: Hamline - This team will need its pitchers to throw well every single game because besides Andrew Bennett they have no real threats on offense. Josh Roiger, Brian Martin, and Kyle Foster all have the ability to shut down opponents but Roiger is the only one that has pitched well so far this year. I expect Foster and Martin to pick it up when the conference games start and Andrew Bennett will have a fantastic year at the plate.
4: GAC - Before the season began I thought this would be the first Gustavus team to finish lower than 5th in the MIAC since 2000. I thought the losses to graduation of pitchers Andy Schmidt and Josh Spitzack, 4 year starter Aaron Madsen, and 2003 MIAC POY Ben Sherer and the decision by Wade Vrieze not to play his sr season would just be too much to overcome. But after seeing them play in the Dome and hearing the accounts of the spring trip I think this team will return to the playoffs. On offense, the guys ahead of returning MIAC POY and 1st Team All American Tony Konicek MUST get on base and so far they've done a good job of that. The defense will be solid, especially up the middle. The biggest question here is pitching. Schmidt and Spitzack are #1 and #2 in just about every career pitching statistic at GAC and pitched just about every important game the past 2 years. As a result, this years staff is short on experience. Kraig Olsen, Andrew Hoffer, and David Wold can dominate games (Hoffer had a W against UWWhitewater last year and Wold beat NC Wesleyan last year and Whitewater this year) but can also get lit up. Depending on how those 3 guys mature, this team could be very dangerous this year. Picked up a nice sweep of #12 UWWhitewater already this year and played tough against #11 Southern Maine.
5: Bethel - The Carr brothers pretty much single handedly have the team this high. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby won the MIAC POY or if he got an opportunity to play professionally after this season. Dana Hegman needs to have a big year hitting behind Kirby because teams may choose to simply pitch around him again this year and Hegman needs to make them pay. Pitching is this teams weakness, but if they're pitchers can learn to keep them in games the offense can win it for them. Nice win over #5 UWSP.
6: St Johns - This team needs Josh Hollenhorst to return to 2005 form (4-0 1.59 era) instead of 2006 form (2-5 3.42 era) to have a shot at making the playoffs. I expect they'll finish somewhere around 8-12, 9-11 in conference and for the third year in a row go an entire season without hitting a ball to the opposite field.
7: Macalaster - If Fr James Murrey (3-0 1.52 era) and Sr Ted Kimble (3-0 3.18 era, W vs #4 TCNJ) continue to pitch this well I could see this team surprising some teams this year. They've also got 3 regulars hitting .390+ but I don't expect that to continue.
8: Carleton - Perennial bottom feeder at it again, especially after losing Luke Muellerleile. I'm surprised to see Doug Sylvester hitting only .250 so far this year.
9: Concordia - Can't have Chris Klabo hitting .118 after losing Brian Schumacher to graduation. May beat a few teams up in Concordia, but I don't think they'll make much noise this year.
10: St Marys -  DH vs Concordia in Winona last weekend of the year may be only conference wins of the year.

MIAC Player of the Year:
1: Tony Konicek GAC
2: Kirby Carr BU
3: Andrew Schmiessing StO
All 3 of these studs could easily win the award this year.
Dark Horse: Andrew Bennett HU - very talented but may get pitched around.

MIAC Pitcher of the Year:
1: Josh Roiger HU
2: Riley Bosch USt
3: Brian Mathison StO
Roiger may lose out on the award if he doesn't get enough wins because his offense can't score any runs.
Dark Horse: Andrew Hoffer GAC - has the stuff but isn't a natural pitcher and is hampered by a hamstring injury currently.

Below is the coaches preseason poll:
1. St. Thomas (8)
2. St. Olaf (3)
3. Gustavus
4. Hamline
5. Concordia
6. Bethel
7. Saint John's
8. Augsburg
9. Macalester
10. Carleton
11. Saint Mary's

sumander

Gustie13, Great summary of the baseball race in the conference! Should be interesting to see how it plays out!
I fly any cargo that you can pay to run
The bush league pilots, they just can't get the job done
You've got to fly down the canyon, don't never see the sun
There's no such thing as an easy run