FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retagent

I just saw an article in this morning's paper that had a headline about the UW system losing 5000 students this year. However, it also referenced the fact that UWW has set records for enrollment in 7 of the last 8 years. Coincidence? I think not.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: retagent on September 24, 2016, 10:42:26 AM
I just saw an article in this morning's paper that had a headline about the UW system losing 5000 students this year. However, it also referenced the fact that UWW has set records for enrollment in 7 of the last 8 years. Coincidence? I think not.

You need to relax your admission standards to get all those transfers in.  :o :o
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

BoBo

Do you think geography might have something to do with it?
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Brian R. Carroll

UWL will beat Carroll today by a score of 35-14.

02 Warhawk

Big win for D3!

Awesome challenge for uww heading into the WIAC. I don't know how much tougher UWP or UWO could be compared to Morningside.

Brian R. Carroll

Eagles win 41-7. Looking good. UWRF comes to town next week.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 23, 2016, 07:30:33 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 23, 2016, 06:53:15 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on September 23, 2016, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: NewHawk on September 23, 2016, 05:09:15 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 23, 2016, 04:14:40 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 23, 2016, 02:52:07 PM
Hey, I just heard that the #2 team in D3 is playing the #2 team in the NAIA tomorrow.

You wouldn't know it on d3football.com

;D  ;)
Come on, they talked about for almost 30 seconds on the podcast...

You guys didn't really go there, did you? Uh, oh...

It's ok, nobody knows we're here anyway.

It's true.  It feels like we snuck into the stadium after the lights went out.  Is there any beer left?

That's a silly question. This is Wisconsin there is always beer left and if by some unimaginable chance there isn't it's only a short distance away. 

"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Quote from: AppletonRocks on September 24, 2016, 10:51:48 AM

You need to relax your admission standards to get all those transfers in.  :o :o

How much more relaxed can they get?  They let me in 34 years ago and I only needed to prove a pulse.

retagent

Maybe I'm being too subtle here, but I was referring to the fact that the record enrollments pretty much coincide with the rise in prominence of Warhawk football. It was to remind some (although, probably not many on these boards) that athletics is an important part of the college experience, and dropping programs may not be the way to go if you're trying to place an emphasis on academics.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: retagent on September 25, 2016, 10:53:02 AM
Maybe I'm being too subtle here, but I was referring to the fact that the record enrollments pretty much coincide with the rise in prominence of Warhawk football. It was to remind some (although, probably not many on these boards) that athletics is an important part of the college experience, and dropping programs may not be the way to go if you're trying to place an emphasis on academics.

Just look at how Mount Union has grown as football has brought attention to the institution. The football roster may have grown by a hundred kids or so, but the school has grown by many times that amount. I think that publicity is a significant positive.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: retagent on September 25, 2016, 10:53:02 AM

I didn't read anything negative into what you were saying Ret.  There is no doubt the athletics, and not just football, have contributed significantly to not only the enrollment growth, but the improvement of the campus.  My son is a sophomore there and I'm constantly amazed at how much has changed since I attended.  I read yesterday they will be building a new dorm to house 400+ students to be completed in 2-3 years. They've made great improvements in the academic buildings.  If you've had the chance to attend the Perk, you may have noticed the beautiful athletic fields just to the west of the parking lot. 
Heck, even the variety and quality of merchandise sold in the bookstore is incredible- and expensive. 
UWW and the city of Whitewater are very much aware of the benefits of successful athletics. 

emma17

Packers' first drive. Split tight end Cook out wide and bam- slant route for big gainer.
Then the TD- slant route.
Just saying.

emma17

Quote from: BoBo on September 20, 2016, 06:39:30 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 20, 2016, 06:24:42 PM
^^
Lots to think about for sure.

Has anybody caught any of the U Buffalo games?  Coach Leipold had to make a QB decision already, he announced they are going w the freshman to start against Army this week.
Although they opened w a FCS school, they are in a really tough part of their schedule- Nevada, Army and Boston College. 
Although their record and offensive production doesn't show it, I get the feeling they are making some improvements.

He is on the hotseat...they really got blown out at Nevada, after losing to FCS Albany in their opener. Borland's defense is getting torched. Army is on a roll and maybe unstoppable. Watched their game at UTEP and they just destroyed the Miners. Lance does have what was described by the announcers last week as the youngest roster in d1 football including 42 new players since last year. He really has his work cut out.

Congrats to University of Buffalo and LL and staff.  Big OT victory over Army.
Hopefully this is the start of great success there.

palum

WIAC goes 13-4 in non-conference games and La X, P-ville, Osh, SP and  WW are all undefeated heading into conference play.  It should be an interesting year with a lot of questions like is SP  ready to challenge the top 3 this year?  What to make of La X's start?  The problem is the nc games do not really tell us anything.  Platteville's nc opponents are 3 & 5, with a NAIA team, Oshkosh nc opponents are 2 & 6 with a National Christian College Athletic Association, Whitewater are 3 & 3 with a NAIA oponent.   Once again the WIAC will beat each other up and someone will be left out of the playoffs that probably should get in I just hope  the NAIA and the NCCAA oponents do not hurt the WIAC when selections are made. Let the games begin.