Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint of Old

Quote from: deutschfan on October 28, 2018, 11:11:13 AM
My player of the week--Jon Kyriakidis of Ithaca.  Last year he scored the winning header goal for Manhattanville against Vassar in the 96th minute.  This year he has the winning header for Ithaca against Vassar in the 87th minute.  How often does that happen in D3 that a player gets winning goals against the same team in consecutive years playing for a different side? 

Agreed.
And plus K for great research as well on this kid.
He also scored the winner against Ithaca earlier in the week, I believe off a header as well.
The Bombers are a traditional power and seem to be ready after getting back two key players lost last year to injury.

This Johnnie K kid seems like he will cause headaches for people in the post season.

Vassar should have recruited him hard after last season.
They already knew first hand how good he was.

deutschfan

Thanks Saint.  Good luck to SLU this weekend.  Yesterday's games, in conjunction with last year's first round results demonstrate the importance of getting that 3 or 4 seed.  Since the LL went to a six team format no road team has won in the first round.  Yesterday Skidmore had to travel on a school day more than 4 hours to Ithaca, and Vassar more than 5 hours to Geneva.  Skidmore held on for one half, Vassar couldn't last that long.  Vassar's defense was a total enigma this year.  Their goalie is excellent and made some great saves against Hobart.  But for him, and Hobart falling asleep after a goal, the score could have been 6-1.  Vassar also has last year's DPOY.  Yet they gave up 8 goals in their last two games.  One thing I noticed watching yesterday was that Vassar's midfield and forwards just don't play defense.  Maybe they were exhausted or downhearted from the Ithaca result.  They now have 10 months to find their defense again.  SLU should take notes on yesterday's game as Hobart's offense has awakened.     

Mr.Right

Yea pretty solid result for Hobart scoring 4 Goals against Vassar but without having watched the match I am guessing Vassar was pushing #'s forward and Hobart got a couple that way but maybe I am wrong. Either way I think the rematch of this past weekends match between Hobart at SLU should produce the LL Champion. SLU should be an NCAA lock either way and I am hoping Hobart has learned its lesson from Saturday and NOT sit in that defensive shell until conceding a goal. If they come out wanting to Win the match they can do it. Personally, I think Hobart is an NCAA team so I am hoping they can win the LL title and we can have two very solid LL sides in the NCAA Tournament. Ithaca has to many holes defensively IMO and RPI I still think is a year away. RPI can win this thing the way they play but I would rather see Hobart make a run.

Red Dog

Quote from: deutschfan on October 31, 2018, 12:30:07 PM
Thanks Saint.  Good luck to SLU this weekend.  Yesterday's games, in conjunction with last year's first round results demonstrate the importance of getting that 3 or 4 seed.  Since the LL went to a six team format no road team has won in the first round.  Yesterday Skidmore had to travel on a school day more than 4 hours to Ithaca, and Vassar more than 5 hours to Geneva.  Skidmore held on for one half, Vassar couldn't last that long.  Vassar's defense was a total enigma this year.  Their goalie is excellent and made some great saves against Hobart.  But for him, and Hobart falling asleep after a goal, the score could have been 6-1.  Vassar also has last year's DPOY.  Yet they gave up 8 goals in their last two games.  One thing I noticed watching yesterday was that Vassar's midfield and forwards just don't play defense.  Maybe they were exhausted or downhearted from the Ithaca result.  They now have 10 months to find their defense again.  SLU should take notes on yesterday's game as Hobart's offense has awakened.     

One interesting aspect of Hobart's "home field advantage" yesterday was they actually played on the turf football field because grass field unplayable. Two of Hobarts best games this year were on that field, their dominant 3-0 win over Ithaca and yesterday. Vassar had a long trip either way however. Don't think Hobart goals were due to Vassar pushing forward and being stretched and one Vassar goal may not have actually been a goal, so a good result for Hobart.

d3d3d3

Looking at that box score ... is that one of Hobart's starting backs who picked up two yellows in the second half? So he will sit vs. SLU, right?

Red Dog

Quote from: d3d3d3 on October 31, 2018, 02:17:57 PM
Looking at that box score ... is that one of Hobart's starting backs who picked up two yellows in the second half? So he will sit vs. SLU, right?

Don't think anyone was sent off in the game so assume this is typo on statistics.

deutschfan

As the playoffs wind up LL will be issuing its end of season awards.  POY is a toss-up.  If it could be by committee it would be
Kelly, McNamee, and Dede.  A case can be made for any one of these.  So, I am punting for now awaiting playoff performance even though that shouldn't enter the equation.  DPOY in my mind is easy, although probably controversial.  Logan Leppo, sophomore goalie for 0-9 Bard, posted the largest number of saves in LL history--by far.  He had 17 in one game.  He was the tin duck in the shooting gallery and thrived.  I haven't seen a field defender who wasn't overly generous in giving balls away to the other team, SLU's defenders included, and perhaps especially.  Therefore Logan gets my vote that doesn't count.  All eyes this weekend on Coach Clinton to see if RPI can pull a rabbit out of the hat.   

Mr.Right

Hobart cam back from 2-1 down to force OT with SLU....2-2 late in the first OT....Hobart's season on the line here and SLU is in no matter what but could help their seeding by winning LL....

stlawus

You really think SLU is in no matter what?  I thought we'd be on the margins if they didn't win the tournament.

Mr.Right

Quote from: stlawus on November 03, 2018, 01:20:42 PM
You really think SLU is in no matter what?  I thought we'd be on the margins if they didn't win the tournament.

Nah....Ur all set....Only worry would be the low SOS but as long as they do not lose this match I think they are fine...Who is going to pass the in the East? Doubtful NYU will as they are 0-0 with Brandeis and not much time left....New Paltz already lost a week ago and Oneonta lost to Cortland...Oneonta should be very worried right now as they are on the bubble and probably the wrong side of it...Their collapse at Cortland just killed them....

Ommadawn

SLU wins it on a header off a corner kick in 2OT!  Pool C aspirants can breathe a little easier now.

Mr.Right

What a CLINICAL finish by the SLU player...That is an absolute beast of a header as that was like a pro's header....Failed clearance by Hobart off the corner and a nice ball into the back of the box just got finished to end Hobart's season in the 106th minute....3-2 SLU and they will get the winner of Ithaca/RPI.

stlawus

Despite the weather conditions that was a great game all around.  Hobart came out pressing and capitalized off a deflection from a punched ball by the keeper.  Set piece to equalize for SLU late in the first and another great finish off a run by Kelly similar to a few goals he scored in the regular season.  Hobart tied it up off a VERY nice volley midway through the 2nd.  That was hit perfectly.   SLU was a bit unlucky with the red card as the field conditions played a role in Crouse sliding Sol Campbell style into the Hobart keeper.  He was studs up though and you can't really let that go.      SLU has never fared well in penalties so I was a bit nervous about that, but another great goal off a set piece sealed the deal.   

Saint of Old

At the risk of breaking out a lovefest, let me say its a great day to be a Saint.
The boys have turned it around this season and are starting to look like they are getting there.

Not sure what happened last year.
I think a mix of bad luck and a bit of a lack of depth, both of which have been cleaned up a bit this year.

As for awards, I think that SLU #6 has clinched it with two assists in the semi final game.

Kid was ROY as a freshman then POY as a Jr. and could win tourney POY this season.
Just an unbeleivable talent and great leader.
Tough to make it on the AllTime SLU starting 11 but I think this kid has

Caz Bombers

Bombers score on a rebound with 3 minutes left in the first overtime to knock off RPI 1-0 and advance to the finals, yaaaaaay