FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@d3jason

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2011, 10:46:02 AM
Well, I mean, it is true. UTSA is clearly an unknown quantity, about as unknown as it gets. It's hard to know what to make of the game in terms of assessing how McMurry compares to the rest of Division III.

I agree with Pat beat UMHB and you're probably in for sure.

Pat Coleman

Definitely there, I would say.

If not, losing to UMHB and finishing the season 8-2 might get it done. Losing to UMHB and HSU and going 7-3 would be a tough sell.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mcm_sid

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2011, 10:46:02 AM
Well, I mean, it is true. UTSA is clearly an unknown quantity, about as unknown as it gets. It's hard to know what to make of the game in terms of assessing how McMurry compares to the rest of Division III.
You're right and the funny thing we talked about, was the sheer amount of people cheering for them makes you feel like they are so good. Amazing what support can do for the confidence of team. And .... it was awful fun to shut up a crowd of 31,000 on more than one occasion.

Pat Coleman

I bet -- and that's a great experience nobody else in D-III is going to get.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bill McCabe

I thought it was interesting that Larry Coker said UTSA was a better team than McMurry.  Funny, McM just won the game.  Oh, and votes don't really matter this time of year.  In a couple of weeks if they are still doing well, I would expect them to receive a lot of votes.

Bill McCabe

Quote from: CruAlum58 on September 12, 2011, 10:48:25 PM
The McMurrys have been extremely dangerous since Mumme took the reigns. I have the utmost faith in Pete and his staff to have a game plan to attack them in all 3 facets of the game. If Im not mistaken, special teams was the difference in last years match-up.

I also want to say that UMHB owns HSU and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

The most improvement comes between game one and two.

Its a great day to be a Crusader![/color]

Special teams have been significant in UMHB's success the past few years. 

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Bill McCabe on September 13, 2011, 02:27:57 PM
I thought it was interesting that Larry Coker said UTSA was a better team than McMurry.  Funny, McM just won the game.  Oh, and votes don't really matter this time of year.  In a couple of weeks if they are still doing well, I would expect them to receive a lot of votes.

Coker had said all week that practices were lacking intensity and UTSA was taking McMurry lightly.  He probably does have better athletes, but they are young, they aren't used to dealing with adversity (or much of anything), and they really only dramatically outplayed last week's D2 opponent in the 1st quarter thanks to a huge emotional high.   They also haven't been hitting the weights, etc for four years like the seniors at McMurry. 

You play the game again, and UTSA probably wins, but that's too bad because it's not going to happen.  McMurry won the game they played and that's all that matters.  What's Coker going to say, that his bunch of scholarship athletes aren't as good as a whole team of walkons?   ;)

Pat Coleman

Ralph Turner

UTSA plays Southern Utah on Saturday.  That is no pushover.

UTSA will probably beat Bacone and Minot State to finish 3-7.

I will bet that Coach Coker was hoping for a 5-5 season.  It is a tall order to win 4 more games with his schedule.

UTSA Schedule

LazIndex FCS

UTSA plays young programs, Georgia State and South Alabama.

CruFrenzy

Quote from: dsc on September 13, 2011, 08:08:37 AM

CruAlum58:
"I also want to say that UMHB owns HSU and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future."
So what would cause a parvenu like UMHB to say the above?

Nobody "owns" HSU!

Once a COWBOY, ...always a COWBOY...and proud of it!!!

Maybe going 11-5 all time against the Cowboys. Sounds to me like "ownage".
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

dsc

It is just a phase that "upstarts" like UMHB go through while they are growing up! ;D

Competition is FUN...and Great...like being a Cowboy!

GO HSU!!!GO COWBOYS!!!GO REAL PURPLE AND GOLD!!!
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

CruFrenzy

I'm not really sure why you keep referring to the fewer number of seasons UMHB has had. It seems like such a young program shouldnt be able to have so much success against a program with SO much tradition and so many years under their belt. If the only thing HSU has on UMHB is more seasons, that pretty much proves who owns who. The last time HSU beat UMHB during the 2004 regular season.

Also i don't see the past 7 seasons of UMHB handling HSU being a "phase". There's no reason the punishment wont continue for many years to come. I think HSU has a great program and i'm really not dogging on them, just stating facts. And i think theyre probably at top 4 or 5 team every year, and its wrong for them to meet the Cru every year in the first round and get smashed, because really that shouldnt happen until the quarter or semi-finals or so.

2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

Ralph Turner

McMurry highlight film from the UTSA game.

You can see the key plays by WR Delfonte Diamond (9), DB's Gene Hudson (21) and Wil Morris (3).

Also you can see the performance of QB Jake Mullin who went 29-45 with 1 INT and 1 TD pass. He also scored on a QB sneak.

dsc

CruFrenzy...et al...

I don't "keep bringing it up"...for an unknown reason (out of the blue) some Crusader made the statement something to the tune of "UMHB owns HSU"...regardless of the record...that statement is unnecessary ::)  Yes, UMHB has done quite well since coming on the scene...
And, it is embarrassing to keep losing...I think it is 8 or 9 straight    :'(   Some years 2 games...because of the playoff ($$) system!!!

Even the Yankees don't win the World Series every year!  ;D  I only hope that HSU AND UMHB can continue to have great teams...and represent the ASC (and Texas) in an outstanding way.  There is no need to "rub it in."   >:(

Here's to all the ASC teams  :-*

Cowboys forever!!!
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

minni

Quote from: CruFrenzy on September 13, 2011, 09:02:01 PM
         I'm not really sure why you keep referring to the fewer number of seasons UMHB has had. It seems like such a young program shouldnt be able to have so much success against a program with SO much tradition and so many years under their belt. If the only thing HSU has on UMHB is more seasons, that pretty much proves who owns who. The last time HSU beat UMHB during the 2004 regular season.

Also i don't see the past 7 seasons of UMHB handling HSU being a "phase". There's no reason the punishment wont continue for many years to come. I think HSU has a great program and i'm really not dogging on them, just stating facts. And i think theyre probably at top 4 or 5 team every year, and its wrong for them to meet the Cru every year in the first round and get smashed, because really that shouldnt happen until the quarter or semi-finals or so.

It's posts like this that make me wish the NCAA would turn a blind eye and let me strap them on one more time and meet this jackwagon on the field!!!   Ehhh not worth it though.  HSU is going to be fine.  New coach, new staff, new traditions, new attitude.  Just know crow doesn't taste very well, I've eaten plenty!!!  Better tell your boys to focus on the Indians before you get to the Cowboys.  (they will always be the Indians to me)