MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realist

When one considers players like A. Winkle, J Veenstra, B. Foltice, C, Veldhouse J. Mantel,T. Snikkers. J. Brinks, T. Kruis, B Powell, T. Dykstra, off the top of my head,  I think that Calvin has been much more inclined not only to play fr., but to start fr. if they have the ability.
Another gauge would be players making all MIAA as fr.  I recall several for Calvin (S. Honderd, J. Veenstra, C veldhouse), and D. Bosma for Hope in the last 20 years.   
The list of fr. making All MIAA is quite small as I recall M Veenstra in the 70's, B. Sall in the 80's, and B De Horn in 66.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

northb

Quote from: neilrocks on December 31, 2012, 11:20:51 AM
Quote from: almcguirejr on December 31, 2012, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: hoopdreams on December 30, 2012, 11:30:31 PM
100% coaches decision.  Going to reek havoc on everyone else's second unit.  Hope has the biggest bench in the united states- 6'6, 6'8, 6'10

Hope has an excellent history of players returning for their senior year  and having great seasons. 
Reimink, Cramer, Vander Heide, Bowser, and Krombeen all had great senior seasons.  I have to believe that Snuggerud is going to get his game and head together. I can't see Snuggerud remaining on the second unit.  Hope has too much talent too think they aren't going to be in the mix for a conference championship.

When you go off on your coach and teammates in a team meeting and then tell your coach to "bench" you.  I think he will spend "some" time on the bench.  IMHO, he needs to stay there.  The bench is a good spot for those who don't like to see it the team way
Welcome to the board NR, and don't hold any punches
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

BogeyMan

Quote from: Adrian Bulldawg Alum on December 31, 2012, 10:59:30 AM
Nice to get the win last night for Adrian, but honestly think that they underperformed.  My guess is they were looking ahead to Calvin and Hope.

These games will test Adrian physically and mentally and hopefully they'll be up to the challange.

I was at the Adrian/Defiance game last night and Defiance executed a great game plan against Adrian.  I can not agree when you say Adrian under performed.  When you play Adrian you need to rebound and defend real well.  Defiance did both.  Defiance also had a great player (scored over 1500 career points) Adrian struggled defending.  I am not taking anything away from Adrian because Defiance is a load at home.  Their loss last night was the first non-conference loss at home in over 3 1/2 years.  You need to give credit where credit is due!  I am glad your comment about Adrian looking ahead to Calvin and Hope was just a guess.  I might call it an excuse.  Please don't take my comments as anti Adrian because I was there rooting for the MIAA and another in-region win!!!

oldknight

Jordan Brink named POW for his performance at the Bluejay Classic.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: sac on December 31, 2012, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on December 31, 2012, 11:53:02 AM
According to today's Massey Ratings update: http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb&yr=2013&sub=11620

#13 Adrian
#26 Calvin (predicts Calvin over Adrian by 4 on Thursday)
#89 Hope
#117 Trine
#134 Alma
#214 Olivet
#262 Albion
#302 Kalamazoo

Using the %probability of wins

1. Adrian       13-1
1. Calvin       13-1
3.  Hope       10-4
4.  Trine        8-6
5.  Alma         6-8
6.  Olivet       3-11
6.  Albion       3-11
8.  Kzoo        0-14

That's the number of games in which each team is favored/not favored, but it's not necessarily the number of predicted wins/losses. Using his (Massey's) "simulate season" function, MIAA records are (at this time) projected to be (rounded numbers):

1. Calvin, 11-3
1. Adrian, 11-3
3. Hope, 9-5
4. Trine, 8-6
5. Alma, 6-8
6. Olivet, 4-10
7. Albion, 4-10
8. Kalamazoo, 3-11

Adrian Bulldawg Alum

Quote from: BogeyMan on December 31, 2012, 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Adrian Bulldawg Alum on December 31, 2012, 10:59:30 AM
Nice to get the win last night for Adrian, but honestly think that they underperformed.  My guess is they were looking ahead to Calvin and Hope.

These games will test Adrian physically and mentally and hopefully they'll be up to the challange.

I was at the Adrian/Defiance game last night and Defiance executed a great game plan against Adrian.  I can not agree when you say Adrian under performed.  When you play Adrian you need to rebound and defend real well.  Defiance did both.  Defiance also had a great player (scored over 1500 career points) Adrian struggled defending.  I am not taking anything away from Adrian because Defiance is a load at home.  Their loss last night was the first non-conference loss at home in over 3 1/2 years.  You need to give credit where credit is due!  I am glad your comment about Adrian looking ahead to Calvin and Hope was just a guess.  I might call it an excuse.  Please don't take my comments as anti Adrian because I was there rooting for the MIAA and another in-region win!!!

That's good news.  Thanks for the info.

neilrocks

Quote from: northb on December 31, 2012, 03:31:02 PM
Quote from: neilrocks on December 31, 2012, 11:20:51 AM
Quote from: almcguirejr on December 31, 2012, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: hoopdreams on December 30, 2012, 11:30:31 PM
100% coaches decision.  Going to reek havoc on everyone else's second unit.  Hope has the biggest bench in the united states- 6'6, 6'8, 6'10

Hope has an excellent history of players returning for their senior year  and having great seasons. 
Reimink, Cramer, Vander Heide, Bowser, and Krombeen all had great senior seasons.  I have to believe that Snuggerud is going to get his game and head together. I can't see Snuggerud remaining on the second unit.  Hope has too much talent too think they aren't going to be in the mix for a conference championship.

When you go off on your coach and teammates in a team meeting and then tell your coach to "bench" you.  I think he will spend "some" time on the bench.  IMHO, he needs to stay there.  The bench is a good spot for those who don't like to see it the team way
Welcome to the board NR, and don't hold any punches

NorthB - thank you for the welcome, not sure if ur comment was genuine or not.  However, I was responding to Marquette's JR coach question.  I apologize if my factual response was not how one is suppose to answer a question on a discussion board like this.  Guess, hoopdreams 100 percent coach's decision met the PC answer.

northb

No, I did not mean to imply that you should not voice your opinion however you want.  I'm not sure how much you may have lurked on the site before posting, but if you have followed the board for a while, you will notice that when you post strong opinions about the inner workings of certain teams (Hope or Calvin), it can get a little chippy sometimes. 

I actually appreciated that you gave information about why Snuggerud was decreased in playing time--your post was the first I had heard about the locker room discussion, and now the change makes more sense.

Best (completely unsolicited) advice: don't worry about Karma, and keep letting us know what you think.
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

Knight2Day

Quote from: northb on January 01, 2013, 09:39:36 AM
No, I did not mean to imply that you should not voice your opinion however you want.  I'm not sure how much you may have lurked on the site before posting, but if you have followed the board for a while, you will notice that when you post strong opinions about the inner workings of certain teams (Hope or Calvin), it can get a little chippy sometimes. 

People get upset when you talk about the inner workings of a team? Nooooo, don't believe it.  ;) ;) ;D

hoopdreams

Who would have ever thought that Hoopdreams would ever be accredited with writing a PC post?? NRocks, my new friend, fasten your seatbelt...."a little chippy" may be an understatement!  Speak of something sacred and be prepared to be crucified. It IS kinda fun rocking the boat a bit though.....2013 already ROCKS!!!
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

Flying Dutch Fan

Neilrocks - I'd join the others in welcoming you, but if I remember right you are not new here, just posting under a new name. Do I have that right? 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

wiz

Quote from: KnightSlappy on December 30, 2012, 11:43:40 AM
Quote from: Knight2Day on December 29, 2012, 11:24:42 PM
Quote from: realist on December 29, 2012, 07:13:05 PM
Calvin wins 87-62.  Brink with 27.
Calvin 12/19 on 3's. 63%.

All that and Brink only played 23 minutes. Wonder what would've happened if he would've scratched 28-30.

Calvin would've won if he played 30.
And if he played 40 minutes maybe he could have put in 6 more 3's and beat Todd Hennink's record.  What was coach thinking?

sac

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on December 30, 2012, 09:37:08 PM
Adrian wins 70-69 when Brandon Romain hits a jumper in the paint with 1 second left in OT. The Bulldogs enter MIAA play undefeated and the league enters conference play on the plus side versus in-region opponents!

The league ended up 27-27 vs in-region opponents, I was not counting Albion/Chicago as in-region and it is in-region.

wwjjdd

Quote from: hoopdreams on December 31, 2012, 11:23:15 AM
In response to Al.....most seniors have strong senior years, especially when they are driven to excel, wanting to help their team make a tourney run or possibly have a chip on their shoulder.  With several Hope seniors, they had to wait their turn behind other talented teammates in order to have their moment in the sun.

The individual in question didn't have to wait until his senior year.  Possibly having 8 months to reflect upon his amazing 2012 tourney play was a bad thing.

Also, the players you spoke of, all played for a different head coach. GVW made you pay your dues, learn the ropes/ schemes, etc...and if you stuck it out, we're rewarded with a stellar senior season opportunity...unless a quality transfer was available.  MN is a "what can you do for us now" type of coach and if you can play.......you will play now.  There is NO WAY possible that Edison and Benson would be allowed to flourish the way they are under the old coach.  I watched him pull the reigns on far too many youngsters. 

There was a pecking order in place and in the old days, kids and parents either understood it or where tolerant.  Today, most are too impatient, hence for enormous amount of athletes who left GVW's program the last 3 or 4 years.

Yes, JH and EE excelled as babies.  They were the drastic, amazing exceptions, not the norm.

I thank the Lord that MN is now at the rudder.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber, Founder, Faber College, 1904

Flying Dutch Fan

One day till conference play begins, and we have 13 people in the MIAA Pick 'Em contest.  Love to have more of you join:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=5915.1575

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight